Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone POLL: ConcernAwareness of Toxicity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Some of our watercolors contain harmful substances. How does this affect you?

giddy up

manganese blue is my favorite color and I have enough to last for quite
        a while…..I will only stop using it when it is pried from dead stiff hand…..

I don’t eat it…..and keep it in a safe place……..I don’t have pets
        and my son avoids my art stuff like it was vegetables………hehe…..

Greg

http://artendeavors.net/

'...When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again.' William Beebe (1906)

John Preston

The poll didn’t have an option that really fit me. I’m aware that these things are toxic if used indiscriminently but I use them with discretion and feel they should be available because the non toxic substitutes are inferior or limiting, artistically.

I’m concerned that there’s too much emotional thinking on this issue and because the vast majority of painters are avocational artists, cobalts and cadmiums may be eliminated.

From an environmental standpoint I don’t fear them either. Pouring my rinse water in the yard will hardly create deposits as large as the naturally occuring mines (right down there next to the water table) from which these pigments come in the fist place.

I would hate to lose my cobalts and cads…my goodness, they’re way too expensive to use in an inconsiderate manner anyway.

AlainJ

I make a point of honour not to eat my colours and apply them on the paper.
                Toxicity studies I have come across show that you neet to swallow significant quantities to be affected. Most of the pigments we use have a certain degree of toxicity, but I keep on liking my Cadmiums, Manganese and Cobalt…..Still, I stay away from arsenic and antimonium based pigments.
                This is an area where I believe that remorse today is better than regrets tomorrow….

Alain - My Gallery - [FONT=Garamond]

Catwoman2

I try to stick with non-toxic paint, because I feel that there are so many gorgeous and safe pigments to choose from, that I don’t need to use products with potentially toxic ingredients. I know the chance of developing a health problem from normal use is probably quite minimal, but I have several pets, and something that might not affect an average-sized human could be far more dangerous to a much smaller dog or cat, and I’m just not willing to take even the tiniest chance.

I know some people might suggest that the solution would be to keep the animals away from the art supplies, and I am very careful to do that, but accidents can happen, and I don’t want to be in a position where I am worried about going into the kitchen to make a cup of tea because one of the cats might get into the paint water.

I know I’m probably too paranoid about this sort of thing, and I certainly understand why others would think I’m some kind of nut, but I’m a worrier by nature and don’t want to take any unnecessary chances when non-toxic substitutes are available to me.

Susan

Laura D

Number 4 for me – very aware but don’t ingest or inhale PLUS I dispose of the more toxic paint sludge in a responsible manner. I think the most important thing is to make informed decisions. I know several airbrush artists who are having health issues from breathing in the slight amounts of water soluable toxic pigments over a period of several years. One pastel artist has gotten really sick from breathing in almost pure pigment dust over the course of her long and prolific career.

As watercolor artists we aren’t exposed to extreme dangers unless, of course, we drink our rinse water instead of the coffee. Susan is right about the animals though, they do like to drink the rinse water. People who are frequently or constantly exposed to the toxic pigments in powder form are at the most risk… miners, processors, packagers and folks who actually mix the pigments into paint.

I still think it’s important to be careful. There’re few things worse than losing your good health due to cavalier attitudes. I sure do miss mine (health, not attitude!).

[FONT=Arial]I'll check in again as soon as I can. :wave: [/COLOR]
                        [FONT=Arial]____________________________________________
                        [FONT=Arial]Laura
                        [FONT=Arial]***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** [FONT=Arial]http://www.lauradicus.com

Nandie

I didn’t see an option that really fit me, mine would be

“Aware of toxicity in certain colors, take common sense precautions”.

I don’t sweat about it, don’t freak out if I get a little paint on my fingers, I simply wash it off. And I don’t eat the pigments, and TRY to keep the cat from drinking my dipping water :)

I haven’t yet heard of anyone dying from using watercolor paints :lol:

annie.nz

I am aware of ingredients, and handle different paints differently according to toxicity. Cadmiums I’m careful with since they’re pretty toxic in small amounts. Lead I’m more casual with since the toxic dose is much higher. I don’t bother washing it off my skin while painting, but I certainly don’t eat till I’ve washed my hands.

I keep kids and cats well clear of the paints though, and in particular use old preserving jars with screw lids for water containers, and put these on when I leave the table. One of my cats would kill to be able to drink the paint water, the other one has a few more brains. The toxic dose for a small animal is much lower, obviously, than for a human 10 times its weight. I have also bought a Cheap Joe’s watercolour palette which has a close fitting lid, which I put on if leaving the table. If I’m using oils, I cover them with plastic wrap and put them on a high shelf. All this sounds like a hassle, but in reality it takes less than 10 seconds. It also means that while I’m making coffee or whatever, the cats aren’t fingerpainting on the carpet with staining pigments.

I point my brushes on a paper towel, not by sucking on the ends like my first teacher did.

Otherwise I use as normal.

I checked number 4, but do agree with Alain. Arsenic and antimonium are the scary ones for me…

My three indoor cats don’t seam to care for the paint water, they just crinkle their noses up at it, but on the other hand, love to park their fuzzy little butts on a unguarded wet painting when my back is turned:eek: :mad: Azure

denistof

I appreciate that there are Long Term potential problems but….at my age I doubt if it will effect me….heck, I think twice before buying green bananas. Don’t want to waste money :lol:

Denis
                                    TOF

jasminerose

how do you know what is in what paint ? im using Daniel smith paints . do you know what they are like ? thank you , jasmine

Mark 16 , 15.:clap:

lpb

jasmine, the pigment numbers are listed on the tubes and on DS website.

Lorraine
                                            Thanks for inspiring me![/COLOR]
                                            Enjoy my contributions to RIL here https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=61016

Catwoman2

I wish the Daniel Smith paints had the AP-type seals on them, as it would be much more convenient than having to check the pigments of every color that interests me to see if there are any safety concerns — and it’s a lot of checking, because so many DS paints are absolutely gorgeous!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I try to always use non-toxic pigments, and I haven’t found the DS phone reps to be particularly consistent in their responses to my questions about toxicity. The reps I spoke with were very nice, though!

Susan

Horsa

I take common sense precautions, like not eating paint, drinking rinse water etc.

The biggest health concerns I have are from my Chines Brush Painting colours, Rattan Yellow is very toxic and so is the Cinnibar in seal paste. The latter is actually a Mercury compound. I usually use alternative reds for stamping seals.

The cadmium pigments in the ink in my tattoos will be a problem long before the cadmium pigments in my watercolour paints I’m sure.

My other health issues present more likely scenarios of doom so it is hard for me to get worked up about either tattoo ink or paint.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Captain G

The environment around us is much more toxic than the small amount of toxins in the paint, we are just not as aware of it!

Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.