WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Still Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

So many Apples....

I though I would try a Still Life (although it is from a reference photo). Not sure I ever want to paint apples again though!

11 x 14 oil on canvas. All c and c most welcome, as this is my first foray, although I have done some sunflowers fairly recently. Thank you for looking!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:16 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: So many Apples....

Hi Buzzi bee
The apples look great, and I like the way the vase echoes the apples. The flowers also have a nice 3D form. The colour palette also works very well.

I do feel however the form of the bowl might be a little off. Feels like the bottom should have an ever so slightly more curved shape to be in keeping with perspective?

My other possible suggestion is the table/surface it's all resting on looks kind of flat. giving the appearance the 3D forms and objects on the table are stickers stuck over a band of colour, rather than objects resting on a table.
I'm not sure if the table has a smooth even finish or has some wood grain but I'd use smaller brushes strokes on the distant areas graduating to larger brush marks on the nearer edge.This should give subtle clues to the viewer it has depth

Hope that helps.

Subscribe to my newsletter
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

Gav, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Now you have pointed out those things, they are so obvious. I think I was concentrating on the apples so much! The original image had, I think a glass Lazy Susan under the apples, which if course sent the shadows everywhere! I think that is why my improvisation of the surface is flawed. I should have ditched it when I realised on closer study, but I liked the harmony of the picture so much.

I checked out your website - wow what stunning work!! I have benefited greatly from your expert review, so thanks again! Trudi
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Trudy, Fine work on the apples.
I think the background wall value is much too light and distracting from the objects. You could make it darker and soften the edge of the table, as that sharp edge is also too strong of a visual element for the composition.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Patrick, glad you like the apples. Good points about the background and the table. I could easily change both.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 03:10 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Beautiful painting Trudi, I think it looks lovely!
Winston Churchill.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Bizzibee, I think this painting is balanced. I like the red jar and flowers with the apples in this composition. You are brave to paint apples, I haven't dared to try yet. Very well done!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 04:41 AM
Enthusiast

Caroline, thank you so much for taking the time to comment on this. Very much appreciated.

Thank you also moscatel - I didn't think I was being brave, but I do think I did a few too many! You should try them - I found painting them strangely relaxing.

Thank you both very much for boosting my Still Life confidence!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Bucharest

Hails from Romania

Apples are so great to paint, I like the highlights on your apples, your painting is nice!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your kind comment 55elena13!