Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Finally back o real work after a long session of matting and framing — grrr –this is on Fabriano cold press covered with cotton muslin and needs some final touching up–the pastels are mostly 85 year old Sargents with a Venetian Red that I made — working up the courage to take out my Senneliers!! lol

Learn as if you were going to live forever. - Ghandi

Donna T

I like the abstract feel of this one and your bright, sunlit colors. How do you attach the muslin to the paper? It looks like a toothy surface for pastels!

Donna
        C&C Always Welcome

Hi Donna —
        The muslin was thicker than I thought it would be, but it seems to work all right — I’m also trying Golden’s pumice gel on water color paper — as far as application goes, I think I prefer the pumice treatment. I adhered the muslin with the ingexpensive Mont Marte gesso.
        I’m trying everything I can — having had a taste of Sennelier’s pastel carte –(they sent a little patch of it with my set of pastels) — — i DOUBT I’ll ever find anything anywhere near that — but I’ll keep trying. I simply can’t afford that surface!! (* I read about the muslin in The Art of Pastel Painting by Alan Flattmann.)

Learn as if you were going to live forever. - Ghandi

water girl

Your experience with colored pencils translates well to pastels. Nicely done. Do not be afraid of those Senneliers, they are wonderful. A heads up on Sennelier’s La Carte sanded paper…I use it most of the time. You cannot get the surface wet, or it will disintegrate. Prepping your own surface is less expensive.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

franglais

Love the bold colors and strokes in the painting. Never heard of attaching muslin to board. I always love to hear of new tips and tricks. I use primarily UArt… and have never tried La Carte. With the UArt I can order huge sheets and cut them down to smaller sizes…. much more economical.

Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.