Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois What do you call a painting consisting out of 9 pieces?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Antoine

I wasn’t sure where to ask so I thought maybe someone here can help.

An artwork consisting out of
        2 pieces is called a diptych
        3 pieses is a triptych
        4 pieces is a quadriptych
        9 is a … ?

snoball

:D :evil: A neuftych?

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

celtic1

a nintych?

"Art washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life". Pablo Picasso

brynmr

Polyptych

A polyptych (from the Greek polu- “many” + ptychē “fold”) generally refers to a painting (usually panel painting) which is divided into four or more sections, or panels. (The term diptych is used to describe a two-part painting and the term triptych describes a three-part painting.)
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyptych

tommyhunt.com

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris

ianuk

A mosaic ??

Technically, ptyche (Greek) meaning fold, would or should apply to hinged panels. Hinged meaning they fold.

I see the term quadriptych used all the time for 4-panel works, but I believe like brynmr said, the term polyptych is what should be used. The word quadriptych doesn’t even come up on wikipedia or any other dictionary that I’ve tried. I think it’s a “mixed-language” word for the sake of convenience. (Latin & Greek)

However the word tetraptych is defined as: n. painting in four parts, especially hinged.

So from what I’ve seen, if you’ve got more than 3 panels you should use the word polyptych, or say “multiple panels (x9)”, “multi-panel works”… a nine-panel painting; a nine-panel work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

[FONT=Georgia]Click Here [FONT=Georgia]for pics in The WetCanvas! Galleria

Antoine

Thanks a lot everyone!!! ‘Polyptych’ is now a new term to my vocabulary…
                            You’re the best!
                            :)

Mon plaisir, Antoinette ! :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

stlukesguild

Tommy’s right. That is the technical term after diptych and triptych… (I have almost never heard “quadriptych” used)… although I have also heard “multi-panel painting”…

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

quadriptych

google it

you’ll be amazed at how much it’s used

jeff m

nontych

Jeff
                                    [FONT="Georgia"]I paint in two genres, careless and reckless. C & C essential

Enneaptych.

IlluminousArt.com _____________________ Illuminous Blogspot

stlukesguild

quadriptych

google it

By those who don’t know any better:D. Seriously, I looked under Google images and found not a single Art Historical example… but then check under “polyptych”…:wave:

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Paulafv

A puzzle.

[COLOR=darkred]quadriptych

google it

[/COLOR]

By [B]those who don’t know any better[/B] :D. Seriously, I looked under Google images and found [B]not a single Art Historical example[/B]… [B]but then check[/B] under “polyptych”…:wave:

Yup, I know, you’re right. :thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                          • The topic ‘What do you call a painting consisting out of 9 pieces?’ is closed to new replies.