Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Joan’s Sketches from 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Happy New Year everyone!!! It seems I just finished posting my sketches from 2018 since I was so far behind. I hope everyone is having an inspired, energized new year. I will try to keep up with posting as much as possible.

I started 2019 with a trip to Robert Moses State Park. I like going to the beach to start the year and apparently there are many other people who feel the same way. It was windy and cold but there were people walking on the beach and lots of people and their pets on the boardwalk going to the lighthouse. Although the Fire Island Lighthouse is located in a state park it is part of the Fire Island National Seashore and was closed to the public because of our government shutdown. It was too windy and cold to sit outside so I angled my car in a spot so I had a good view to sketch. When I finished I did take a walk to the lighthouse.

The second sketch I’ve been wanting to do for a while. We have a local brewery called the Blue Point Brewery. It was located in a small building but the beer has become popular and the company is now part of the Anhouser Brewing Company. They needed a new, larger facility so they moved into this big, red building and did lots of renovations. I kept watching them constructing the tanks outside, but there was no place that I could sit and sketch during the construction that wasn’t blocked by a covering that was up. Now that they are finished you can see the whole thing.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Joan T

Our Wednesday night sketch group has been having theme nights now that it is cold and dark by the time we meet. The Patchogue/Medford Library lets us meet there and they set up tables, coffee, and cookies for us by the picture window in the front of the library. We get a lot of curious people stopping by to see what we were doing. Last week’s them was tea and things related to tea. My friend, Pat brought in this lovely teacup.

Joan T

I love being surrounded by so many places with water. You can drive down so many local streets and find they dead end at the water. The beach grasses are always so much fun to sketch…and the lighthouse too.

Joan T

On Sunday the NYC Urban Sketchers had our holiday party. It was held in the party room on the 8th floor of the building that one of our members lives in. The building is in Jersey City across the Hudson River from downtown Manhattan. Pretty much everyone came in and sat down to sketch the view while it was daylight. Each member was also given a panoramic sheet of watercolor paper to do a sketch on. The sketches were collected at the end of the night and will be made into a book. We did the same thing last year and it was fun to look back and see what everyone created in 2018. I sketched some of the people around me that were either enjoying the view and sketching, knitting (the spouse of one of the members), or chatting with the other sketchers.

What a great location Joan, I look forward to seeing your 2019 sketches.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Joan T

Thanks, Doug. Are you still posting in any of the threads?

I did this sketch from my “mobile studio” while sitting in the parking lot of a restaurant/catering venue. Around the back they have an assortment of small buildings with tiny shops in them.

Joan T

My Wednesday night sketch group is sketching indoors at the local library for the winter. We usually have a theme each night we meet. Care to guess what the theme was this week?

Joan T

After several dreary days I wanted to paint something with a bit of color so I headed over to the Smithtown Historical Society which has two wonderful red barns.

Joan T

During the winter the marinas her are mostly filled with shrink-wrapped boats in drydock. I was pleasantly surprised to find this sailboat uncovered and in the water. I didn’t have any large paper so I ended up using a 2 page spread in a 5 inch square sketchbook that I made. Of course I really like the way it came out and it is in two pieces in a sketchbook. lol

You are keeping up the standard Joan.

I did a couple of sketches last weekend while we were away but I haven’t posted them.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Joan T

Here’s a still life I put together to do some sketching for one of the Scavenger Hunts here on WC. This was done directly in watercolor.

Joan T

On Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the NYC Transit Museum. There were models of trollies, a bus that was set up so kids could go inside and pretend to drive it, and lots and lots of people and kids running around. My friends were amazed that I could sit there in all that madness and sketch. I told them I had been a NYC teacher for 32 years and could easily handle craziness. lol

Sonia

Great sketches Joan. I liked the idea of the book made from your group’s sketches. Will there just be the original book or are copies made for all participants?

eyepaint

Happy New Year!! My favourite is the first sketch in post #1 – the wc only (no ink)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

Sonia – Thanks. I don’t know where the group book(s) are kept. I think they should digitize it so we can all have a copy. I made sure to take photos of my sketch for myself.

EP – Thanks. I am trying to do more painting directly in watercolor or sketch directly in pen, but I really like the safety net of the pencil. lol

We have a spot locally called Artist Lake (Appropriate don’t you think?) Every time I go there are a lot of birds because people pull up and feed the birds all the time. This lady had about 20 birds swooping in to get what she was feeding them. I hope it wasn’t bread. I only included a few of the birds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.