WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Making my own watercolour paint - mulling HELP!

Total newbie here

I've recently taken to making my own watercolour paints because apparently I hate my shoulder muscles and my carpets.

I've got most of the process down but I cannot figure out for the life of me when to stop mulling.

Is there a clear indication for when the pigment is fully dispersed?
I've been told to look out for when it goes shiny but that happens pretty fast and testing the paint doesn't shed much light for me either.

An example is I spent most of this afternoon making a Prussian Blue (using Prussian Blue LUX 45202 from Kremer) - I recorded myself doing it to try and see a difference in start and finish (and redefine watching paint dry) and from about 5 minutes in, it looks the same. I mulled away for over an hour and can't help but think I could have got away with just those first few minutes.

I know that each pigment will have a different mix time, and a different binder ratio, but how do you know when you've got it right?

TIA!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Hails from European Union
Re: Making my own watercolour paint - mulling HELP!

A few days ago I processed milori blue, after 4-5 minutes the colour was finished.
I added spirits so that the pigment also sinks into the binder and does not float above and the pigment grains do not stick to each other.
I always make sure that no small lumps remain.
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

You need alcohol for prussian blue, and also for all the organic pigments. Use extra binder since otherwise it will become crumbly after the alcohol evaporates.

how to know when done http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...73&postcount=5

Last edited by indraneel : 06-24-2019 at 02:34 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
You need alcohol for prussian blue, and also for all the organic pigments. Use extra binder since otherwise it will become crumbly after the alcohol evaporates.

Really? I've not seen that mentioned for watercolour paints - only acrylic.
I've not been using any alcohol i've never had any problems with the pigments binding with my gum arabic solution - whats the purpose of it?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM

Just read your info on the other thread - very handy, thank you!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

I use intuition to decide when its enough. Usually I mix with a palette knife until its all one blob, then I spritz with a few sprays of water and switch with mulling,
the water thins it down enough to make it easier to mull and then evaporates.
2nd rule,turn off the TV
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM

I've just started mulling my own paints in the last few months too. A tip I picked up via a couple of Youtube videos to check if it had been mulled completely was to swatch a sample, let it dry (you can cheat and use a dryer) and then rub it with dry paper towel. Properly mulled paint won't lift onto the paper at all. If you have any colour transfer, then you need to mull the paint a bit longer, or potentially add a little more binder.

Hope that helps