Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ianuk

No Idea what to call this. I’m not an abstract painter. Just trying to get back into painting. Any advice is welcome!

willow33

I would call it “Woven.” One of my favorite ideas. I like this very much.

bobbybirds

I like it! Has a fabric look for sure…

john

Glad to hear that you’re getting back into it Ian. I like this one. Good design, texture. Well executed. It’s very interesting even though it’s basically simple.

Definitely a winner reminds me of fabric and/or textiles. All lines converging in the center, very pleasant to explore.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

tidal

You could have some fun with the figure ground relationship if you so desired. I say this as you have a lot of texture and texture tends to imply volume or solid tangible matter( and no texture the opposite …so you could juxtapose that texture (dense matter) with no texture pieces or areas . Just a thought.You can also juxtapose your diagonal against some horizontal etc lines ..There is much you can do even with these simple things to bring in some tensions :) You can also break up the shapes edges with broken lines instead of solid allway through… I mean there is a multitude of things you can do…how long is a piece of string lol…but aside from that your work is the tops ie it looks to me like it can’t get any better :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

ianuk

I would call it “Woven.” One of my favorite ideas. I like this very much.

Thank you willow, ‘woven’ it is then. I looked at your website and read some good words there.

ianuk

Thank you bobbybirds, very kind of you to comment.

ianuk

Thank you Kay, you’re very kind.

ianuk

Glad to hear that you’re getting back into it Ian. I like this one. Good design, texture. Well executed. It’s very interesting even though it’s basically simple.

Thank you John. I used to try and find the most challenging thing to paint, but I always loved just pushing paint around. I spent many hours in MOMA and the Met among other places and whilst I love renaissance and all forms of art. The abstracts, contemporaries and other stuff in those places always left me with a lighter feeling.

ianuk

Tidal. Thank you for taking the time to give your advice and wise words. I will no doubt mull them around in my thoughts as I paint, well they’ll be in my thoughts permanently now.

In the painting at first, I wanted to make a path through the shapes and I painted a thin line transversing the diagonals, to me it didn’t look right which is how I got the black/grey shading. I sprayed it on using stiff brush using my finger to flex the bristles. I had no idea how difficult that black would be to remove from my fingernails.

I love the flow of energies throughout the painting. Makes me feel like I’m falling down and then sliding sideways. …and then looping back to do it again.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                                            blog.jlk.net

tidal

I love the flow of energies throughout the painting. Makes me feel like I’m falling down and then sliding sideways. …and then looping back to do it again.

Spot on Claude ! Yes perspective is mismatched if intentional or not it is sublime :) In fact here is where there is tension which is why I didn’t think it could get any better :) The things I mention are purely as thought these things may apeal to you seeing as you are very curious about abstract art and if you are not such a thing ..why bother to label yourself anyway just do what you do it is awesome. I think of de Chirico when I look at your piece here and think of the mismatched perspective immense tension.

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

john

Thank you John. I used to try and find the most challenging thing to paint, but I always loved just pushing paint around. I spent many hours in MOMA and the Met among other places and whilst I love renaissance and all forms of art. The abstracts, contemporaries and other stuff in those places always left me with a lighter feeling.

I feel the same way. I just finished a challenging realistic landscape and while I’m happy with it, it’s just another landscape painting. I’m getting bored of landscapes.

And yeah, the Met is impressive, but MOMA is exciting. The Met is mostly gravitas whereas MOMA is flight. It’s the same with painting realism vs abstraction.

The problem for me is making an abstract that I would want on my walls.

I think you succeeded with making a wall-worthy painting here.

CarlyHardy

Don’t laugh but it reminds me of patches on a pair of jeans that I love! Does have a fabric sense about it. And Ian, try Lava soap for the hands. I use it all the time and I work with black inks, acrylics and gesso. The inks are very staining.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.