WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Pink Garden Roses

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pink Garden Roses
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Realized that the upper right rose would end up on the center line of the canvas and moved it over when I painted it. Reference photo included below.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
There is something I don't like about this painting and I am not sure how to fix it. Is it the composition? The top right rose in the focal point sweet spot is really bothering me for some reason. Do the roses compete with each other? Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Last edited by amyartist : 12-11-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: pictures display sideways
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Re: Pink Garden Roses

Sorry about the sideways images. I don't see a way to delete them.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

I think if you punch the colors & contrast it will look much nicer.
Your background is a lighter color than the ref, so you need to make the focal stronger to show up nicely.. even go a bit darker in the rose creases.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Hails from Canada

There's a lot to love about this painting. I think there are a couple simple things you could do to knock it out of the park.
1-Darken the leaves behind the roses to make them pop
2-Strengthen the rose that's facing away from the viewer (left side)
3-Add reflections of the 'fallen' rose in the vase
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Konfuzed and JMW -
Thank you for the critiques. I think you both gave me good info and I tried to apply it in the changes. Neither of you mentioned this, but I decided that the seperateness of the roses was bothering me. I felt it made the viewer have to hop from one rose to the next instead of the painting having a good visual flow. Because of this I massed the 3 main roses together by adding more flowers. Wondering if you agree that this was an issue now that I mentioned it. Do you think I improved the painting or just made it into a different painting?
Your thoughts? Thanks for looking and for the input. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Amy
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA and Tierra del Sol, Malmok, ARUBA

Hails from Canada

Thank you for sharing. Nice piece. My comments.
- the lightness of the background take away from the colours of the flowers and vases
- I would be more aggressive with the boldness of colours and shadows to punch up the depth of the painting, especially the blue of the vase.
- I have a challenge seeing that the rose to the bottom left is out of the vase, given the reference photo. So to me (and maybe only me) it seems out of place without some more context such as a few leafs . . .
Otherwise, very enjoyable painting . . . I can smell those roses.
Thanks for sharing.
Michael
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Hails from Canada

I think I prefer the first composition. The roses are now arranged in a striped pattern and doesn't seem as natural. I do like the way you have painted the centre rose, making it a focal point.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Hi Amyartist,

"There is something I don't like about this painting and I am not sure how to fix it. Is it the composition?" - Amyartist - 12-11-18

Those are your words
... and from 4-1-17 you said - "I must say that your critiques really opened my eyes to the fact that I can use a lot more instruction than I've had."

and from 3-25-17 ... "been a computer programmer and teacher most of my life."

So let's start from with what you already know ... and work forward...

As a programmer ... you possibly know the difference between a front-end developer and a back-end developer.

So - being a new painter ... you are at the 'front-end developer' stage.

However by using some computer applications - you can save yourself buckets of paint, not to mention big bucks ... by employing your computer
skills and running your original painting throubh some computer applications ... ie. Gimp or Corel Paintshop Pro.

These applications will allow you to 'jump' your original paintings to the 'back-end developer' stage ... without waiting.

Then you can decide ... if you want to paint what you see.

On 4-1-17 you said ... "I purchased the 24 lesson Vloothuis course on painting."

I applaud that decision. You will obtain the skills ... to paint - what you are seeing in your computer applications.

Having looked at some of your past works - Sunnyside, Yellowstone, Ponds, Gapstow Bridge, Greenwich Village, Smoky Mountain Bears, Warm Flowers, The Proposal and Steve Tyler ... I've come to the conlusion ... painting well is something ... you desire. That's a good thing.

So - let's suggest one technique that works 'globally' for you.

From the little bit of coding that I'm familiar with ... applying a 'global' attribute ... meaning you set this attribute 'one time' and it affects all the future uses of where this attribute shows up ...

should you apply this concept to your painting - you will go from 0 to 60 (so to speak) in months - not years with your painting skills.

Your original Pink Garden Photo ... when run through an 'oil filter' in your computer would look like 'B'

Paint image 'B' a number of times to follow the LIGHT: the color transitions, the cast shadows, the changes from wide brushes to thinner brushes and the gradations of color between foreground, middle ground and background ... that would accelerate your understanding of what is happening with this image.

No need to change the composition (the staging of the flowers) at this point.

In other words ... study the 'global' attribute of how LIGHT affects your colors.

Apply what you are learning in your Vloothuis course ... and you are off to the races.

You will be in good company ... as Turner was known as the Painter of light in the 1800's, and Kinkade was known as the Painter of light in the 1980's.

Best regards,
Picassolite

Last edited by picassolite : 12-15-2018 at 12:35 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Its a nice piece overall, but there are a few areas for you to consider to improve it.

First is your lighting. Right now you are missing a lot of shadows, and some shadows don't match your lighting at all. There are perspective issues within these.You have used the original photo as a ref for your lighting but then gone ahead and applied your own to it too without the understanding. I think spending the time to work on your understanding of lighting and what type of lighting works best in various scenarios will help you move forward as an artist. Don't rely on reference or some computer filter to decide your story as an artist. Do rely on your core skills and understanding. Drawing and painting is a three stage process. Observation, understanding and execution. Right now your weakest is understanding. Work on that.

Second is your materials are all being painted similar. Spend more time to work out how things look and why and how light behaves on the various surfaces.
This is part of the understanding phase.
Next is your edge control. Everything is soft. Even the edge of the table, and the vase. Of course you can keep it soft if that's what you wanted. There is no rules to say you have to. But you should have a reason in the overall composition and design for doing so.
Consider how to separate out your edges and create a focal point. They are a very powerful tool in your storytelling. Having hard and soft edges can lead the eye through the composition. Right now the mass of flowers is getting blurred into the background. The original photo has a much more interesting silhouette in the way the flowers stand out versus the background in my opinion. Consider the use of negative space to create an interesting design.

With reference to the first points I mentioned, try to have some sort of value structure. You have pushed the image to be a high key image, but there is still space to tease out those subtle value changes. Don't be afraid to look at other professional artists, modern masters, or the classical ones. I always suggest to my students to study John Singer Sargent. If you want to see great examples of value and edge control, then he is the one to look at.

Keep at it and pushing yourself. Good luck and happy painting.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 AM

Thank you so very much for the time and effort you all put into helping me with my art. I agree Konfuzd, that the first was better. It is overworked now. Sometimes better to just start anew. Mmatalo - Thank you for your encouraging words. I will try to apply what you suggested when I tackle a similar painting. Picassolite - wow - what analysis and useful suggestions. Silverswallow - I think everything you said is so very true. I've read about light and shadow in my art books. I'll have to figure out some exercise or something that I can do build these skills/knowledge. I guess I should refer back to my books again. Your second point about my painting all surfaces similarly really was an eye opener that I can understand. Thanks everyone and happy painting!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Re: Pink Garden Roses - 2nd try

So.... I painted the roses again. Started from scratch and tried to consider your critiques. I used photsketcher to help me see light patterns. I think it is useful at my level. I would love to hear from you. Thank you.
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 AM

Hi Amyartist,

Happy to see that our comments have spurred you on.

And good to see your 2nd attempt.

"I used photosketcher to help me see light patterns. I think it is useful at my level."

How would you like to jump to 'light-speed' ... at your level?

1a- use the thinnest brushes you have for the green stems of the purple flowers.

1b- No need to 'halo' your roses with stems and stock.

1c- 'Less is more' with large flowers.

1d- Take a look at what you can 'leave out' of your painting ... and still have a powerful painting...

2- As you are painting red roses ... attempt to apply 5 shades of red to each rose... no need to buy 5 shades of red as you can mix them by adding white, greens and blues to your reds.

3- When it comes to the vase ... go for the gusto - take it way way down a couple of notches.

I call my version of your painting ... "Three Amigos."

4a- As I see it - the only thing missing from your effort is - you haven't decided whether the roses are the subject ... or if the whole painting is the subject.

4b- Think of it this way - the roses are the stars and the rest of the painting (stock flowers, table, vase, leaves) are the supporting cast.
Thus ... they should not get equal weight when it comes to how you paint them.

4c- Or to use a coding analogy ... your roses issue a call to a loop (for the stock flowers and the vase); the stock flowers and the vase are a sub-routine ... not the main code.

5- Your color sense tells me ... you can do this... at your current level.

Best regards,
Picassolite

Last edited by picassolite : 12-23-2018 at 03:14 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Picassolite just gave you what might be the best critique I’ve ever read here.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 PM

Hi Amyartist,

Tom Brown is an artist on Wetcanvas that I admire and respect.

And his comment means the world to me because it means ... I have done well in standing by our new artists.

This is the kind of supportive art site that you have joined.

Best regards to you and Tom Brown,
Picassolite

PS - Fotosketcher is some kind of app - I'm enjoying working with it too.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.