Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    RMart61

Im new to the forum and im a airbrush artist, but all my airbrush equipment is packed up for a move out of state so i thought i would give colored pencils a try. This is my first shot at colored pencils. I have no idea what im doing.

KaySilver

There’s tons of different styles and ways to use coloured pencils, so anything goes!

At one end of the spectrum you’ve got the classic pencil look (light layers and pencil strokes showing – it’s obviously a pencil drawing), while at the other end you’ve got the use of use thick layers and solvents to achieve an oil-painting effect. And everything in between!

If you want to get the best out of pencils there’s definitely a learning curve (especially if you’re used to other media) but once you start to get a feel for them they’re great, because they’re so clean and portable. Unlike airbrushing, you can take them out with a sketchbook, or sit and work in front of the TV. No mess, no clean-up…nice and relaxing!

If you want some tuition to learn the basics, just search online. The effects you can achieve will depend somewhat on the quality of your pencils.

Your wild cat looks good so far. Are you finished or are you planning to work on it some more?

RMart61

Im working it somemore. I just used the creame color for a base. Now im adding the darks, mid tones, then the lights and then the highlights. I use prisma color pencils.
                Thanks for the info..hope i get better at this..lol.

Rick

brissie

Very cute hope youre having fun and keep posting.
                    Also there are lots of utube tutorials on coloured pencil artists

KaySilver

Im working it somemore. I just used the creame color for a base. Now im adding the darks, mid tones, then the lights and then the highlights. I use prisma color pencils.
                        Thanks for the info..hope i get better at this..lol.

Rick

Plan sounds good – it may be a new medium to you but you know what you’re doing in terms of getting your base down and then adding your darks and mid tones. I think you’ll get the hang of coloured pencils very quickly!

Pingpongfan

Keep on using the pencils and you will be more and more amazed at your results. You have made a good start.
                            Vena

robertsloan2

I’ve got a good idea of your first work there! Gorgeous wild cat! Probably a bobcat. Looks sweet and ferocious at the same time. Love those big paws. Is it finished or will you be layering more mid tones in as well as the lights and darks? You could let it stand at this for a lovely minimal rendering, the subject is there and the eyes are the most compelling element in the face.

There’s a lot you can do with colored pencils. Realism, especially nuanced, layered realism is popular but there’s other ways to work and looser rendering can be just as beautiful. Your cat is fantastic. You captured the likeness and did it with very little work. Love it. Of course it doesn’t hurt that I’m a complete cat nut and that my own sweet Sissy is a lynx point Maine Coon who actually resembles a little wild cat from the front end. Hind end she has a magnificent long fluffy tail.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

RMart61

I got a little bit more done on my bobcat. Still not finished by far as layering takes awhile. I used a solvent on it and went a little overboard and warped the paper a little. Im not use to paper as i paint on gesso board.

Rick

RMart61

I think im getting the hang of fur texture with these colored pencils.

RMart61

Got some more done tonight.
                                            Hope im doing this right. It feels right.

Jaxhil

This is looking really good!

RMart61

This is looking really good!

Thank you. Im winging it until i get to know this better. Im basically using my airbrush experience to layer my colors.

RMart61

I should be ready to post finished picture later tonight. Just the paws, whiskers and background to do.

RMart61

Im calling this one finished. I made alot of mistakes but i learned from them. That being said im happy with the outcome.

Rick

KaySilver

Great first finished pic! If you stick with it and do a few more you’ll soon feel more at home with pencils.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.