Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Kiva Ladder: Darkness Into Light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Kiva Ladder: Darkness Into Light
    crow quill pen and ink

crowquill1

Gary, you have done it again. An amazing and beautiful piece of work!

Karl

Dramatic!

Shanec

Fantastic work Gary, good to see you have stuck around. :)

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Very dramatic contrast – high volume! …. then balanced by those lovely delicate pen marks describing the materials textures – super!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Thanks folks.
            I’ve been studying Chaco Canyon, NM for several years. A kiva is a circular, underground place of ceremony, some large enough to hold 500 people. The only access is from an opening in roof, symbolizing Mother Earth, Father Sky, darkness into light.

therue

so amazing :)

cwilliamson

Wonderful piece. I’ve been to Mesa Verde and seen the kivas. Your piece really captures it.

Clark

Mesa Verde is actually one of the ‘outliers’ of Chaco. When they left Chaco around 1250ACE, they built over 200 similiar structures in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and down into Mexico. I have been facinated by Native American (particularly Hopi, Zuni and Tewa) thought for many years. Their sense of what is sacred and their connection with the universe and each other, something we could learn from today!

Subhro_86

Awesome comnination of dramatic contrast and good texture

Subrata
                        Life was beautiful

robertsloan2

That’s beautiful. I love the textures and the powerful drama of light and dark.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

I don’t often use others’ photographs, but this time I did. John Porter, a friend, took the photo. That friendship, born from our shared interest in Native American thought, is in this drawing.

mbankhead

one word. ” Superb”

Mark.
                                -Don't sweat the small stuff...

Drawn to this by the word “Kiva”- my newly adopted cat (as of yesterday!) is named KIva. (It has many different meanings in different languages as well as in the Urban Dictionary!)
                                Awesome art work, different subject and I love the perspective. We need to learn to look at things in new and original ways!
                                Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                                -Helen Keller
                                The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                                -Henry David Thoreau

Sheila-
                                You just made my day!! Thank you so much and may little Kiva thrive!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.