Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Sketchbook Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    ocmd123

GUIDELINES:
        1. Mixed media welcome. Because this is the CP Forum, your sketches must include (more than just a little) CP.

2. Everyone is encouraged to participate in commenting, even if you are not posting sketches.

3. If you are posting sketches, please participate in commenting on others who are posting.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]
        Sketching and journaling serve a variety of purposes.
        [/FONT]
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]*It’s great drawing practice.
        *It stretches your creative muscles.
        *It’s great for those working in other media that take more time and space.
        *It a good way to fill up small spaces of time.
        *It’s a good way to play without a big commitment of time.[/FONT]

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

simon ess

Hi

This thread will be great for me. I’m completely new to drawing and painting so everything I do is a sketch at this stage. I’ve tried a few different mediums but have decided to stick with pencils for now.
            This is my first post outside of the drawing and sketching 101 lessons.

Here’s two I’m quite pleased with. Any advice gratefully received.

Nice work Simon, it looks to me like you are ready to move past considering your work to be sketches! Here, I think the bird has more promise than the leaf. If you are working from reference photos, it may help for you to post them in order to receive more specific advice.

On the leaf, it seems a little bit flat (not 3-dimensional). Judging from the shadow behind the stem, the light source is coming from the top right of the picture, so maybe there could be a bit more white or very light spaces left behind in that corner of the leaf, to capture highlights. In any case, I think this one probably cannot be worked much more.

The bird is a very good start to what could be much more than a sketch. Again, work to accentuate the light source (top, or top right?) by putting more of those dark black shadows on the bottom of the bird. Work the whole thing more to get in some subtle colors, even in the spots that appear just black and white, by using some light blues/dark browns/creams, etc (depends on the colors in the reference photo, if there is one).

Although I generally like to burnish almost everything to remove the pencil strokes, this is not a look that everyone is going for, so you can give that some thought.

I think you should keep working this bird and it could come out really nice.

simon ess

Thanks very for taking the time to give such constructive and encouraging feedback. I’ll work some more on the bird, as per your advice.

Here’s the reference photo, taken a couple of years ago in my back garden.

ocmd123

:clap: :clap: Our first sketcher!! I truly love that little bird! I wouldn’t do much to it. If it were mine, I’d darken up your darkest dark under the wing, and deepen the color on the underside of the tail. It’s a successful sketch as it is now. :thumbsup:

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                    Instagram

Save

ocmd123

I have trouble figuring out what to sketch. So I have been doing an ABC project. This is my kitty, Theo, striking a pose, for ‘K’. I did him first in graphite. On another night, when I was too tired for a new sketch, I went back and added some color to him. This is a fuzzy phone pic, but I really liked the effect of using graphite and cp together. (The ‘L’ and ‘M’ sketches are kind of visible underneath. I’ll post those later.)

[/URL]

Instagram

Save

Beautiful photo! It’s a good reference to work from.

Hopefully this will illustrate why you will want to use a lot of colors in the area where you currently just have black and white, even though the bird is not vibrantly colored. I assume your goal is photorealism, since that is common, but even if not, more color will add interest to the piece.

You can also see that the colors in the vibrant areas (beak, feet, wing, head) are not quite as yellow or orange as you have made them. People often say to draw what you see, not what you think. When I am drawing something realistically, I try to ignore what it actually is, and just draw the shapes and colors that I see.

Having one of these color dropper tools in a photoediting program is extremely valuable.

Hope the “serious” comments on a quick sketch is not inappropriate. After saying that I thought more colors could be used, I was curious myself what colors could really be found in the body. It’s usually surprising!

I do agree it’s a successful sketch, just some comments on what you could do to take it to the next level, if you wanted to.

Ellis Ammons

Great work lOOkin good. And thanks for starting a sketch thread.

I drew this apple today from a tutorial on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08PKSOiXGc

I just got a few prismacolor markers and fabriano hotpress watercolor paper so I just wanted to draw anything to try them out. I also used prisma and poly pencils . Was wishing I had a more opaque white and i’m thinking about trying to overlay some paint for highlights.

It wasn’t even close as I didn’t have the same materials or even colors. So I just got the idea from that guy and drew this. Took about 30 minutes. I used green markers for underpainting the apple and green marker for the shadow. The further you move back from the apple the more translucent it looks.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                            oil and acrylic paintings..

Looks pretty cool Ellis. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like crystal or glass, and that maybe you had just screwed up while trying to draw a regular apple! Haha… I was glad to see that the tutorial was for a crystal apple also. In that case, you got it.

I don’t draw on white paper too much, but I have heard good things about that brand. How do you like it?

Olaf

Having one of these color dropper tools in a photoediting program is extremely valuable.

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS]Oh . . my . . gosh . . !

Never knew such a thing existed . . do many CP artists use it . . ?[/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"God is dead." —Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." —God

Delofasht

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS][SIZE=”4]Oh . . my . . gosh . . !

Never knew such a thing existed . . do many CP artists use it . . ?[/SIZE][/FONT]

I used to use them pretty often. Color picking is a powerful thing, you can also poke a hole in a white or gray card and place it over a photo for a similar effect for color picking.

- Delo Delofasht

Yeah, I don’t know what I would do without it. It’s amazing (for example) how much your brain thinks “white” when you’re really looking at tan or light blue or warm grey or something totally different. This goes for all colors. The context of the colors around them really affects what color you think it is, which could be really inaccurate.

ocmd123

I drew this apple today from a tutorial on youtube [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08PKSOiXGc[/URL]

I just got a few prismacolor markers and fabriano hotpress watercolor paper so I just wanted to draw anything to try them out. I also used prisma and poly pencils . Was wishing I had a more opaque white and i’m thinking about trying to overlay some paint for highlights.

It wasn’t even close as I didn’t have the same materials or even colors. So I just got the idea from that guy and drew this. Took about 30 minutes. I used green markers for underpainting the apple and green marker for the shadow. The further you move back from the apple the more translucent it looks.

It would be interesting to see how cp works layered on top of the marker, so the marker works like an underdrawing.

Instagram

Save

Ellis Ammons

I like the fabriano paper best so far. Doodling that apple is all I’ve done on it. So I can’t really say much about it. I was still able to put quite a few layers, not as much as Stonehenge but that’s good because you don’t have to put so many layers to get a more saturated look.

As for the prisma markers. It works well to get intese color down without using up the paper’s tooth. Although fine detail isn’t gonna happen.
                                            Those things are intense color saturation. To the point any pencil layered on it has to just about be burnished for it show up. But I’ve only tried the green ones maybe the others are more translucent.
                                            More toy’s to test out. :)

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                                            oil and acrylic paintings..

smudged-blue

I know this is a sketch thread, however thought this may be interesting to share, due to the mention of markers and CP.

Ellis Ammons – If you look up an artist by the name of Karen Hull you will see what can be possible with markers and colored pencils, if you like the realistic look and if the time and effort is put into them, it’s amazing what Karen can do with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BTJgHu5ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjtO6dxmz4

Sonia.
                                                My photos available as reference
                                                "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 205 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.