Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting portrait

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    koksie

My newest oil painting after a long time. 70 x 5o cm on stretched linen. C+c please!

Dcam

Bold and fresh. I like the composition. Under the right eye from viewer’s view, there is a hard edge that could be softened? The transition from dark shadow.
            I like this portrait.
            Derek

AnnieA

Yes, this is a bold approach and I like it too. I agree with Derek about the line – and to my eye, there are a few that need just a tiny bit of softening on the right side (as viewed) – to be more like the transitions on her forehead. But you have a very distinctive style so perhaps your own judgement is better than mine. Anyway, it’s a terrific piece.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                [FONT=Palatino]
                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

wal_t

You have a nice style. I wonder if you have switched the light and shade on the neck on purpose ? The same on the nostrills. That looks a bit illogical to me but maybe it is artistic freedom. Walter

kentiessen

Great clear color and values- it has a nice feel! Very good suggestions from Derek, Annie, and Walter. I can only add the reflected lights are a bit to light.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

billmahler

Bold work.
                            Nicely done.
                            Glad you’re back to painting.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                            Winston Churchill.
                            http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

koksie

Thank you for your comments, they were very useful (I hope so). And here my attempt in improving the painting. Thanks in advance for your further c+c!

wal_t

Good improvements ! Walter

Would you be able to post your original reference?

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

koksie

[attach]858512[/attach]

Thanks!

Have a look at the shadow side of the face. The shape of the shadow around the mouth needs adjustment, as does the value- bring the dark areas in more. Under the eye on the dark side- you have it too light. Even though it is light it is still darker than the lighter side of the face. Do not use your lightest lights on the shadow side.

This is a great dramatic face and you’re doing a great job, but just pay attention to the shape and size of those shadows on the dark side of the face.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

CynicalSaint

Improvements from your first post are great.

Without having seen the reference, I would have noted that the lighting felt a bit weird. With that strong of a reflected highlight on her left chin, I would expect a bit more color in the dark part of her face. I feel that the shadowed portion of her cheek could usebthr tiniest bit of color.

Seeing the reference, I would say that the chin is a bit long, and looks like the lips are a bit bigger to compensate. That being said, it felt proportionate before seeing the reference, so I didn’t really notice it without the reference to compare.

"Mais que veux tu?" - Vincent van Gogh

AnnieA

To elaborate just a bit more on what Jess (stapeliad) and Cynical Saint said, I’d you look carefully at the shadow area of the face, you’ll notice subtle variations in color as the planes within the shadow change. Actually, I wonder if the shadow in the photo is actually darker than it would be IRL, as that’s a typical distortion of a photograph.

But that said, it looks like you may have made the decision to go with the dark shadow value, as it heightens the drama of your portrait.

As Cynical Saint said, you’re really doing very well on this piece already. I think a little more variation of color in the shadows would be good, but think it over first.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Raffless

I much prefer the raw crudeness of the first image. Its ‘poster’ type quality is of the comic strip fashion. Hard lines over pronounced planes of the head stuff. Now as you soon as you start fiddling with blending and transitional gradiants to smooth it all out you lose that direct appeal. It starts to become more about realism. If you want that great but first image for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.