Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Any online instruction recommendations for a new painter?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

I’m stuck in a rut: I’ve made time, bought supplies, and secured a space to begin my training to be an oil painter. However, I’m idling while I decide on an online training course. I was going to use Mark Carder’s Draw, Mix, Paint course (and haven’t ruled it out, yet), but I’ve since discovered other venues that I worry might be yield faster results, more versatile skills, more fundamentals, more comprehensive study, etc. Though I could always stop one and start another, I worry that I might learn bad habits or a poor method that will be hard to shake if I start a different course. Too, there’s always the concern of wasting time and money, neither of which I have in abundance.

My short-term goal is to be a good painter in 12 months with the possibility of earning commission work (unrealistic, perhaps, but I need to set goals to achieve success). I have some untrained skill and am a quick study. I seek well-rounded skills on a solid foundation of fundamentals from which I can adapt as I grow and meet challenges. I’m not looking for a paint-by-number course, or Bob Ross-style method, I want something rooted in the classical tradition, but (and I know this is asking a lot and will seem contradictory to most) I’m looking for the fastest route possible and the most affordable route possible.

I’m aware of the mantra: “Good, Fast, or Cheap. Pick two.” I do expect this to be a lifelong endeavor of learning, but I also want to get as many good results as possible as soon as possible. Mark Carder’s primary video course is $100 and I’ve seen the results in his student’s work; it’s impressive. I worry, however, that it is not comprehensive enough. I plan to devote at least 4 hours per day to practice and studies, etc., so, I don’t believe I’m asking too much by an online course–I’m putting in the time. I am simply looking for something that offers quality substantive instruction on solid techniques as a basis for a well-rounded vocation as an artist oil painting realism (with my own voice, of course).

These are the courses I’m considering:

• Draw Mix Paint Videos – Realism, Landscape, Portrait, $100 each. I’ve been watching his YouTube videos for years now and I really like Mark’s manner, personality, and encouragement, but is this a good system, well- grounded in classical fundamentals? Or is it a quick-learn method that will leave me handicapped if I try to develop. http://www.drawmixpaint.com/
    • Art Camp – 1, 2, & Landscapes. At $250, $250, and $500, respectively, this is pretty affordable. But is it Comprehensive and of a quality of instruction that will give the results I’m after?https://artcamp.com/
    • Virtual Art Academy – $39.00/month for as much as four years can quickly get expensive. Obviously, this is still less than a four-year college, but not by much and without the degree (for whatever that’s worth). https://www.virtualartacademy.com/
    • Virtual Instructor – Secrets to Drawing, Portrait Drawing, Oil Painting. At about $30 per class, on a level with Draw, Mix Paint video 1, but perhaps more rounded with the attention given to drawing fundamentals. Perhaps less quality than Art Camp or (definitely) VAA? http://thevirtualinstructor.com/artvideocourses.html
    • Watts Atelier – Online Drawing, $99 per month, Online Painting, $99 per month. These are on par with Draw Mix Paint as well, price-wise and in the self-directed, -paced nature of the video format. That one of these focuses strictly on drawing, perhaps this is the better path? https://www.wattsatelier.com/
    • Master Oil Painting – Bill Inman’s 6-week online course starting at $267. Again, no focus on the drawing fundamentals, and perhaps not much focus on color, tone, light, and value, etc. https://masteroilpainting.com/6-week-course-landing/

If anyone, since the previous threads on the topic were engaged, has any experience with any of these courses, could you please comment on your experience, good or bad. Or if you can recommend a different one I haven’t mentioned (that is equal to or superior without requiring a second mortgage to attend), that would be much appreciated. I’d like to begin soon and am chomping at the bit to get painting. I just want to be sure I pick valuable instruction and begin properly.

Note: I’m posting this on several forums I belong to, to get the most help I can. If you see it elsewhere, please don’t feel compelled to comment twice, I’ll check all of them.

Raffless

Do people do online courses? It seems a guilty pleasure when everything is free these days. I have never met anyone who says they are money well spent. If there are i apologize. Problem with Draw Mix Paint is its a one trick pony. And i only know this as ive ive seen Carders landscapes. Great for still life painting though.

Pescarolo

Have you made any paintings on your own yet? I’m assuming you’re after realism/photorealism in your paintings.

With the amount of free information online, especially on youtube, I think anyone who really has a deep interest in painting can “self-train” to a high standard. Especially if you have access to a great art museum. Being a good painter, which is often (wrongly) used interchangeably with being a good artist, require you to train your eye and become familiar with the tools of your craft. Becoming acutely familiar with all your paints’ properties, getting a feeling for paint on your brush and the canvas itself etc. A lot of that is simply experience. Technical drawing, which I personally do not enjoy but have practiced, is a fundamental building block

I would not recommend any online course if in-person classes are an option (especially if through a museum). I like DrawMixPaint’s videos and I also doubt you can go wrong with any of those choices. I don’t think any is going to make you significantly better for the amount of time spent.

contumacious

I don’t think you have anything to lose following Mark Carder’s FREE lesson series on drawmixpaint.com It is basically the “lite” step by step version minus the additional info from his $100 video on the same subject. I haven’t found a free, comprehensive step by step lesson anywhere else, that covers everything you need to learn to paint a still life. Most of his techniques learned to paint a still life easily translate to painting pretty much anything else. If you feel like you learned things that helped you significantly and want more, then buy the full paid version. I have been painting professionally for over 40 years and I learned several helpful things from his free course as well as his other YoutTube videos. The introduction to the course comes right out and tells you what to expect and what to do once you have completed it. (Italics added.)

[INDENT]What you will learn here is strictly a method for learning how to paint realism in oil. The method will teach you how to draw in proportion, how to mix natural color, and how to paint realism as you see it. After you’re comfortable with the method and have painted a few paintings using it, you can leave the method behind and develop your own way of doing things.

[/INDENT]It is assumed that you already know how to draw well. If not, learn that first. There might be a better free painting lesson series for a beginner to start with but am not aware of one. Perhaps some other WC people can provide some links.

Before I paid for any lessons, I would buy a copy of Alla Prima II by Richard Schmid for $95 plus shipping ($10 cheaper than ebay) from his website and learn all you can from it.

JCannon

My first recommendation: Michael James Smith.

He does landscapes, and he has a method that works. Pretty much everything you need to know is in his series of YouTube videos, available for free.

I would recommend modifying his methodology in one or two respects. Smith does his first layer in acrylics, but this approach has not always worked out for me. If applied too thickly, acrylics can create a slick layer that a subsequent oil layer simply does not want to grab onto.

I recommend doing the first layer in oils, working on a very absorbent panel. This can be achieved by mixing a generous amount of marble dust or talc with the gesso.

I’d also recommend purchasing blender brushes to smooth out skies. On ebay, you’ll find cheap Chinese fan brushes which cost almost nothing, and they are surprisingly good. Badger blender brushes for artists are highly prized but expensive. Badger shaving brushes on Ebay are pretty cheap, and work pretty well. Cheap makeup brushes from the dollar store, believe it or not, are also good for blending.

If you have talent and if you spend time following Smith’s advice carefully (but creatively), you may soon be able to turn out work you can sell. I honestly believe that it can happen faster than you may think possible.

Personally, I’m not a Carder fan. Others here are. And as others have pointed out, he makes a lot of money, and has been generous in sharing his insights.

If you are going to paint the human figure, you should spend at least a year drawing before you start painting. The best “free” source of instruction is a series of video produced by “Proko,” a.k.a. Stan Prokopenko. If you have the money to pay for his advanced lessons, by all means do. But his online anatomy lessons give you what you really need.

There are other drawing masters who have generously shared their knowledge online. Jazza is one. I think David Finch’s videos are now online; he’s one of the most brilliant draftspersons I’ve ever encountered. If you have the money to pay for his courses, you’ll learn an incredible amount.

(Finch’s instructional videos exemplify my problem with Carder. Carder teaches you how to create something like a photograph, using paint. Finch teaches you the importance of understanding how forms work from the inside out.)

Aaron Blaise is a former Disney animator and director who has a series of art instruction videos online. He has a superb grasp of color, composition and animal anatomy. I’m sure you’ll learn a LOT from his work.

Finally, allow yourself to become immersed in old discussions here on Wetcanvas. Bill Martin is a great artist and teacher, and he’s far from the only one who has important things to say.

One final point: These days, I think artists are robbing themselves if they don’t do digital art as well as traditional oil painting. Make your mistakes on the computer. Make your wild intuitive leaps on the computer. Experiment on the computer.

Digital art is free, after you shell out for a decent graphics tablet. Paint costs money.

Also, if you make a huge mistake in a “real” painting, the offending canvas or panel will hang around your studio for ages to come, causing you to sink into depression every time you glance at it. A failed work of digital art can be hidden away in an old folder, to be fixed years later, if you think of a way to repair what went wrong.

Added note. I forgot to mention a book you should seek out if you are going to paint the figure: Massens “The Artist’s Guide to Drawing the Clothed Figure.” Essential. There’s nothing else like it.

If you have any interest in great illustration, nothing is more rewarding than a study of the work of J. C. Leyendecker. As much as I love Parrish, Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, Rockwell and all the other giants of that generation, Leyendecker stood above all others. HIS teacher was John H. Vanderpoel, whose book “The Human Figure” is the one anatomy book I value more than all others.

Pescarolo

Make your mistakes on the computer. Make your wild intuitive leaps on the computer. Experiment on the computer.

Digital art is free, after you shell out for a decent graphics tablet. Paint costs money.

I strongly second this point, I bought a cheap tablet a few years ago exclusively for this. It’s a great tool for learning about colors, the speeds at which you can paint and revise is unmatched. Check out David Hockney’s digital works, he has made incredible pictures on his iPad.

I take photos of my pre-drawings and paint over them with my tablet. Oil painting sessions are much more enjoyable for me if I have already experimented with colors and know which ones i’ll need.

Gigalot

Cennino Cennini, the author of ‘Il Libro dell’Arte’ can’t help? :lol: If not, then DBPOWER T20 1800 Lumens LCD Mini Projector can do the Job! Color mixing has no matter, just try to avoid iPhone display colors on painting. :eek: Bob Ross also helped me “how not to paint what you want to paint”.
                            A book “How to make things easy” will be best seller, but nope. People can’t make much money with easy things. They always need tricks and fog in the work.
                            To learn from all artists is the same as to treat health problems with the help of all doctors.

OK

Cennino Cennini, the author of ‘Il Libro dell’Arte’ can’t help? :lol: If not, then DBPOWER T20 1800 Lumens LCD Mini Projector can do the Job! Color mixing has no matter, just try to avoid iPhone display colors on painting. :eek: Bob Ross also helped me “how not to paint what you want to paint”.
                                A book “How to make things easy” will be best seller, but nope. People can’t make much money with easy things. They always need tricks and fog in the work.
                                To learn from all artists is the same as to treat health problems with the help of all doctors.

Some times I think I agree with you Alex but I’m never sure because it’s difficult to know quite what your saying! :)
                                If you are saying that books go into far more depth and the older the better then I do agree with you. Forget the online tuition and join the library.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                — Allen Ginsberg
                                Are you ready for a Journey?
                                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

TomMather

You will learn the most by simply painting. In that respect, I would recommend Carol Marine’s book, Daily Painting, and website, http://www.dailypaintworks.com

The website also has on-line tutorials. Her method involves getting in the habit of creating art every day, even if the paintings or drawings are small. In other words, you learn most by doing.

Get in the habit of drawing and/or painting every day, whether you feel like it or not. Carry a sketch book with you all the time, and take photos of scenes that catch your eye. See if you can find any local classes or paint groups, where you could get hands-on instruction and feedback. My city has two art centers with inexpensive classes that meet weekly as well as several groups that meet regularly.

kin3

Kevin Hill…mostly oil
                                        Micheal James Smith…mostly oil
                                        Jerry Yarnell…mostly acrylic

They each have short videos on certain subjects plus full length paint along. They each do not have long term contract so try one for a month and see. I have learned a lot from each of them.

Yes, unfortunately, there are no physical courses a practical distance from me and I could piece together all the valuable free information, but when I consider the time, I think it may be worth it to pay someone, if only for the time savings of not having to separate the wheat from the chaff of free online offerings.

Thanks so much for replying.

I have painted over the years. 20 years ago, when I was young, single and with lots of free time (that I managed to waste in unfortunate quantities) I thought I’d like to paint in surrealism I sat in my room and tried my best to render Dali -like images. Then it hit me.. I can’t remember my dreams, I’m no surrealist, just a wannabe Dali. Anyway, I put down the paints when I got married and am now itching to pick them back up with the determination and discipline of a fortysomething. I was not too bad a painter, as far as rendering goes, but I lacked the knowledge of value, composition, color matching, etc.

I’m not too shabby at drawing, though my lessons never advanced beyond high school. I am currently studying Lessons in Classical Drawing by Juliette Aristides, to improve.

I strongly second this point, I bought a cheap tablet a few years ago exclusively for this. It’s a great tool for learning about colors, the speeds at which you can paint and revise is unmatched. Check out David Hockney’s digital works, he has made incredible pictures on his iPad.

I take photos of my pre-drawings and paint over them with my tablet. Oil painting sessions are much more enjoyable for me if I have already experimented with colors and know which ones i’ll need.

Actually, I bought a tablet a few years ago when I was fully employed at another career and thought digital art would be a space-saving method to learn with instant results (no paint to dry). I should break it out and get learning, but I really want to get moving on the actual oil painting and I fear that with studying drawing, oil painting, and my actual job, there’s little time left to learn how to use the tablet properly and how to use the various programs. The thought of it overwhelms me. I’ll definitely think on this, though, since you both recommend it. Maybe just an hour or two per week…

[*]Book by 14th century Italian advising against “indulging too much in the company of women.” to keep hand from shaking. – Check.
                                          [*]Projector – Check.
                                          [*]Avoid iPhone 5s 99% of sRGB display colors – Check!
                                          [*]Book: “How to make Things Easy” – Nope, not on Amazon. But While I am aiming to learn quickly, I am not necessarily looking to make things easy. I plan to work very hard and invest as much time as I can into seeing this through. I’m merely (oh, is that all) trying to accelerate the learning process. Time keeps on slipping…

I will try my best to avoid tricks and fog, though it would be kind of cool to have all the doctors focused on my ailment at one time. Imagine all those expert eyes on…. On second thought, no.

Some times I think I agree with you Alex but I’m never sure because it’s difficult to know quite what your saying! :)
                                        If you are saying that books go into far more depth and the older the better then I do agree with you. Forget the online tuition and join the library.

:wave: Dave.

We have a fantastic library here and I am using it. I do, however, benefit from watching people actually do the work. I really wish there was a class nearby. The Southern Atelier is over an hour away, but I don’t yet have the means to get there regularly.

Thanks for your reply.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.