Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Autumn clouds over Shellcamp #1 WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    🤟🏻

I’m kinda at an impasse with this one.. The red bush area needs to be a bit bolder, without overdoing it, and the orange baby maples are just.. off. So I’m gonna do a small study on the bush itself to try and figure out some more before going in for the finish, but on that note, I’m actually quite suspicious of all my colors and values. Any and all input is very appreciated, please be ruthless! Thanks :)

-edit- done on 11×16″ stretched canvas

Paul Moreau
        Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
        FB @pmoreaufineart

WFMartin

Gosh, I think this is an excellent painting. Your rocks, and foliage are very realistic, and your water is astounding. If I were to offer one, small criticism on this entire painting, it would be to sharpen the lead edges of the foreground rocks, where they meet with the water. The soft edge between the rocks and the water doesn’t seem to do the effect justice.

But, I think this is a beautiful painting!

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pthalo White

Please be careful of overworking it.

Pinguino

As noted above, you are already there, so be careful about going farther.

You might consider adding a slightly lighter span, as lit by a break in the clouds. Not a sunbeam (wouldn’t happen in this context), but some lightness that originates off-canvas at upper left, crosses the water, and adds a hint of light (and shadow) to the foreground tree and the nearby rocks (not all of them). Again: Would not be a sharp beam.

The catch is that you couldn’t add the lightness by transparent glazing, you’d have to have at least some white in it, which could create a beam of cloudiness rather than light. I certainty could not do it, at my low level of brushwork skill. If you think you can, maybe try a test on a color photo of the painting. And be sure that the current painting is sufficiently cured, so that you can easily remove an added layer if it doesn’t work out.

🤟🏻

Yikes that was close, thanks snapping me out of it guys- calling something finished was never my strong point

Bill, I think you’re right about the shoreline, I have a small bit to tighten up there, and a few more spots where white still shows through in general, but I’m gonna call it done after doing that and quickly sticking my signature on a rock. Thanks for everything you said

Pinquino- I like your idea, and it would actually work pretty well with my method (there are 5-10 different shades and hues all scumbled into any given spot, so subtle changes are just a few scumbles away,) but you’re right, I need to hit the kill switch on this one. Clouds are one of my favorite things to paint, so I’m taking notes on what you said.

Paul Moreau
                        Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                        FB @pmoreaufineart

Dcam
                            Loretta7

Fantastic water and rocks. Very good work.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

🤟🏻

Thanks Derek and Loretta!

Signed and hanging to dry

Paul Moreau
                                    Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                    FB @pmoreaufineart

Hamburgefions

Very nice!

Alan P. in OC

Spectacular work. Looks pointillistic to me somewhat, great style:)

🤟🏻

Thanks Mark and Alan! That’s interesting that you mentioned pointillism, Alan- I’d never really thought about it, but its true, the million little brush strokes I do pretty much look like a bunch of dots up close

Paul Moreau
                                                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                                FB @pmoreaufineart

midwest

I would love to hear about your scumbling process. Beautiful

Kathie :
                                                    wal_t

It,s a beautifull painting. Walter

Sana Almimar

A beautiful painting …well done !!

3dsMax61

justadude,
                                                                You got a lot of things right with this painting and nothing “wrong” beyond what you pointed out. As it is, the painting is very good. I put wrong in parenthesis, because art is subjective and largely without rules (or should be), so ultimately, reactions are mostly just opinions.
                                                                However, there is without question a general consensus with regard to what makes a great painting and your work here is a demonstration of quite a solid effort in that direction. I should be so fortunate!

My only observation is the same as yours, so I’m sure you’ll figure it out. In representational painting, values and value relationships are everything, so increasing the value of those young maples just enough to register brighter than the background should do the trick. And yeah, maybe bump up the saturation of those young maples just a hair. Might be fun.

This really is a wonderful piece and I’m eager to see it’s progression!

Rock on, dude.

-hhh

----------------------------------------------------
                                                                I'm tired of being a wanna-be artist. I wanna be AN ARTIST!

Web Site

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.