Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Learning Center High and Dry (rocks under water demo)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Deborah Secor

[INDENT][INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]

This was the demonstration painting I did last week when I was teaching how to paint rocks under water. It’s on gray Pastelmat, 9×12″.

Here’s the underdrawing I did in charcoal. The P-mat allows you to softly finger blend the charcoal without disturbing its placement, which started that wonderful underwater look to the rocks.

This is the first layer of color on the water, and the extent of my painting in the demo itself.
        (And the finished painting is the top one, which I subsequently finished at home in my studio.)

Questions and/or comments welcome!

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
        Gouache Blog

Fabulous!! Thanks Deborah! I always wondered how to do that.

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
        Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
        [/SIZE]

granddad

Great painting, I love the rocks above the water and below it. james

Tracy Lang

I’ve learned so much from this!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Tracy

water girl

Very informative demo…straight and to the point. Thank you.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Thanks for doing this for us Deborah. Maybe you could do another network DVD on doing water?

Devonlass

Wow, this is so useful and informative. It’s gone straight into my favorites. Thank you Deborah.

Carol
                        C&C always welcome
                        My Blog

Donna T

Wonderful demo – thanks so much Deborah! It makes a lot of sense to get the soft edges on the rocks before you start layering the water colors on top. I wouldn’t have known to do that. Beautiful painting!

Donna

Donna
                            C&C Always Welcome

Deborah Secor

I’m glad so many of you have found these images helpful. :D You have to paint from the bottom to the top of water (as Doug Dawson advises in his book), so I always draw the shapes and shadows of the rocks underwater first. Then I plug in darker values of the colors of the dry rocks in sunlight, assuming the rocks are the same material generally, and over that I lay a soft blurring of the color of the water, followed by anything that’s on top like reflections or things floating (foam, bubbles, boats, ducks, etc.) I can’t say I strictly adhere to this order as I paint, as I might add some jewel-tone colors of underwater rocks as I progress, or enhance the deep colors of the shadow shapes, but this bottom-to-top order launches the painting.

Kat, I’d LOVE to do another DVD! Maybe someday. People need to ask for it, however… (hint, hint) :wink2:

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                Gouache Blog

bnoonan

I’d like you to do a personal lesson up here… but I’m going to have to wait till I can gather enough students to share in the workshop.

Deborah – excellent! i love the approach and appreciate the time taken to explain the details and process. The water ripples are so effective.

Barb

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Do what you love, love what you do!

www.MorninNoonanNight.com

Don Ketchek

Thanks Deb! You’ve caught the look of those underwater rocks perfectly!!

Don

Winny Kerr

Oh this is wonderful. I started something similar about a year ago from a photo I took ages ago and got to the water part and …. got no further, it is still hanging on the board.

This will help me a lot to get an idea how to finish it. Thanks Deborah.
                                            Winny

rhapsodyerin

Thank you for the great demo. I found it to be very helpful and informative as I often paint using the trial and error method. Now, I have some guidelines. Thank you, again.

[FONT="Verdana"]Barbara

Thanks for your wonderful photos and explanation of how to portray rocks under water. I’ve often wondered how to do this and will now have a try.

Viv

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Colorix

Gorgeous underwater rocks, perfect in feeling!

Charlie

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘High and Dry (rocks under water demo)’ is closed to new replies.