WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Does the Flemish Technique Have Advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
If I am going to use layers I find I prefer either a grey under painting or an ochre one and then the full colour layer. I'm not sure why you would need both either..

The Dead layer isn't supposed to fully cover the umber layer, just deepen the darkest shadow areas and help refine edges and model forms. This allows transitions to retain the umber color when glazing later, resulting in varied gradations of color that are more exciting to look at and generally less cold. Each layer in the Flemish Technique serves a very specific purpose designed to allow the artist to focus on one element at a time.

- Imprimatura
- Umber Layer 1
- Umber Layer 2
- Dead Layer 1
- Dead Layer 2
- Color Layer 1
- Color Layer 2

Imprimatura layer include the drawing transfer, allowing the artist to focus just on clean transference of drawing and end the day on relaxing toning. Each step after that is broken down into 2 passes, where the first focuses on an element and the second focuses on refining and correcting mistakes. Umber layers are for building form, Dead layers are for building depth in shadows, Color layers do what we expect. Each step has a break in between that helps the artists objectively assess their progress. Basically the whole method is about simplifying the artistic process and giving the eyes to adjust so they can see clearer what needs done each time they sit down to paint.

Try juggling everything all in one sitting and it can be overwhelming for an artist, even a professional one. Everyone creates a method that simplifies the work and organizes it into manageable bits, the flemish method is just one that is very easy to teach and follow along with. It provides a structured approach that allows one to focus easier, and is very relaxing to do over and over. It is like painting on autopilot, very little thinking needed so long as you are working from a reference, just follow the recipe and likely will end up with a fairly successful painting.

Delofasht
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well I can understand why it might make it easier in that it simplifies the process, but it seems like a lot of work to complete a painting. How long does it take to do a painting with the full 7 layers?
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 12:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Then who was the artist invented this 7-layers method?

Probably Alexi Anitov. His videos are the first indication that I've seen of the process.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
Well I can understand why it might make it easier in that it simplifies the process, but it seems like a lot of work to complete a painting. How long does it take to do a painting with the full 7 layers?

Too many factors, size of painting, complexity, and how skilled you are, just to name a few. For me, doing one layer per session, each session would probably last around 4 to 5 hours at the longest, working on a 9x12 of medium complexity, so. . . 28 to 35 hours? Average about 32, not terrible. My usual method takes a bit less time, but gets a very different result as well.

Delofasht