Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Pan pastels and pastel pencils on Mi Teint touch paper 24×32 cm.

Reference was a photo I took some years ago at the Baltic sea on a family holiday trip.
    The kids were playing in the water and admiring the glorious sunset.

C&C always welcome

Esther

Donna T

Esther, this is so serene and I love the mood depicted here! Your sunset colors are beautiful and as always you painted the water so well!

Donna
        C&C Always Welcome

water girl

I have the sense of calmness on the water at sunset. The figures add a bit of a story and keeps my attention focused. Well done!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Thank you very much for your kind comments Donna and Karen.
            And yes the water and the atmosphere was really calm and serene.
            I had never seen a sea so quiet before.

Esther

artelahe

This almost feels tonalist, Esther. I am going to study your water. It’s amazing. I agree with Karen about your figures. They have a casual, youthful way about them that lends great charm to this piece. The middle one with the raised arm, drawing the eye back to the setting sun, and the one on the right with the casual gesture… they make me smile, as if they were my own children. That’s quite a feat considering all my ‘children’ have had fur!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                AlyP
                I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

Thank you Aly. I bet four legged furred children would have had fun too. :)

In this painting I tried to enhance the brightness of the sun by using color contrast.
                So I added a bit green to the sun. In one of the forum here I have read that this could help.

Esther

Ron

Great color harmony and mood. A very enjoyable piece, well done!

Thank you Ron.

Esther

monarch

Oh, this is just lovely and gives a feeling of serenity. I’m curious about the green you mentioned on the sun. I have never heard of using it, and can’t detect it on your painting, but I’d love to learn more. :)

C&C welcome and appreciated

Thank you for your comment monarch.

I cannot remember which thread it was, but the idea is to use a bit of the complimentary color of the surrounding colors to exaggerate the contrast.
                        So I put a little bit of a very light green into the sun.
                        It was the first time I tried this, the contrast is nice but I don’t know how much the green helped to it. It was just an experiment.

Esther

monarch

Thanks, Esther. I just finished a painting and felt I couldn’t get the sun bright enough. Maybe this tip could help. :)

I took a look at some of your recent posts and I am a big fan of your work!

C&C welcome and appreciated

Wonderful colors!

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Thank you monarch and stapeliad.

Esther

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.