WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#211   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

I heard back from Rosemary's about the unfinished handle on the travel brushes:
"Hi
The wood is exposed but is also treated and kiln dried so there shouldn't be a prob with water.
Kind regards
Symi
pp Rosemary"

I'm a little skeptical--kiln drying doesn't make the wood water resistant (just dries it in a controlled environment) and they don't mention the kind of treatment. I'll probably end up coating it with lacquer or polyurethane, just to be safe.

Leigh
  #212   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Hails from United States

Daniel Smith has a one-day (today), 20% off coupon with no minimum order. Code is WONDAY20. Great opportunity to save. And yes, I caved and placed an order. Sigh. My art supplies budget is completely blown.
  #213   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi Leigh,

Imagine living where I do, only 30 miles from Daniel Smith's main store and manufacturing location. Every time I'm anywhere near either of their two stores in the area, I have to wrestle the car steering wheel, which always wants to turn in that direction. If you're a Gary Larson 'The Far Side' fan, you may remember his cartoon about the woman trying not to go into the chocolate store - she was holding on to a parking meter with both hands while being pulled horizontally by a powerful vacuum wanting to suck her right into the store. That's what it's like with me and a Daniel Smith store...!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #214   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Hails from United States

Yes, there are some advantages to living in the middle of nowhere. It's a 1-1/2 hour drive just to get to a Hobby Lobby. Of course, the internet is always at my fingertips!

I'd love to visit the store, but it would be VERY dangerous, I'm sure!
  #215   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB
Any of those that have fallen out of favor? Other colors you really like? . . . Thanks for any suggestions you can give!
Wow! Loaded questions! And you've already got stellar answers. If you need another opinion, my lists are below. (All my inks here are used in wash sketches. So they are all water-soluble.)

Fallen out of favor:
-- all the Winsor&Newton inks (I really seriously don't like these. Once you taste the 'real thing' these pale pretenders are down the drain. Literally! I re-used all the cool little bottles for travel quantities of ink I actually like.)
-- Noodler's #41 (The orange halo is off-putting.)

Really like:
WARNING: My "really like" list is very (cough cough) fluid.
-- PR Velvet Black - my go-to ink
-- PR Chocolat
-- Noodler's Walnut
-- Noodler's X-Feather (cool granulation on this one)
-- Diamine Chocolate Brown
-- Mont Blanc Toffee Brown
-- Noodler's Kiowa Pecan (although this might have that dreaded orange halo as well -- needs testing)

Undecideds are the two Iroshizukus that I have:
-- Yama-guri
-- Tsku-kushi
I am still on the wall on these two. I can't decide if they are the greatest thing going or, umm, what.

I don't use any blues, I am afraid, so can't recommend any. But Rainy has started a Blue Ink Samples thread so if you test any blues, be SURE to post your results and thoughts there, so everyone can see. Sharing the wealth! (So all of us don't have to buy all the same ink. Even though we all end up doing that anyway. )

More of my thoughts on sketching ink is here. Hope all this helps!

Jan
  #216   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Pilot Iroshizuki Yama-Guri --- Beautiful ink. I loved it more before Rainy discovered the joys of mixing Private Reserve Chocolat with Private Reserve Velvet Black to form a much more saturated version! Jamie
I agree totally with Jamie here. John, I recommend that you try Rainy's PR Velvet Black+PR Chocolat mix before springing for a whole bottle of Yama-guri. Or better yet, order just a sample of Yama-guri and compare it to Rainy's mix. For me, the mix is richer and thicker and offers more washability. IMO, that is.

Jan
  #217   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thanks Jan! And of course Rainy, Jamie, Dale and others - even approaching 4,000 posts on WetCanvas I continue to be amazed what a wonderful resource this site - and the great denizens who frequent it - is!

#218   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I'd have to say that my favorite blue right now is pilot blue/black but still searching for one though

I got some inks in a swap and I agree with you on the W&N ones Jan as I got three. I think I could use them like the FW inks for backgrounds and such like.

Also in swap I got a bottle of PR Purple Haze that is pretty cool very, very purple (leaning to blue) and then also a bottle of J. Hebrin Larmes De Cassis (a reddish plum and most saturated of the three I got in this swap) and J. Hebrin Vert Reseda (a pale turquoise) and two Shaeffer pens. The flow on the shaeffer pens is good in my simple test last night but need to give them a workout before deciding for sure.

Last edited by RainySea : 05-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
  #219   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Oooh, you guys make me want to join the pen and ink madness. I do like my one and only fountain pen for writing... I really must give this stuff a go. Hmm... my birthday is coming soon...
  #220   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi guys!

Well, this post should probably be over in the Art Supply Addicts Anonymous Thread, but I'm worried I might get voted honorary chairperson of the thread or something. Plus, all this stuff is sketching related.

All what stuff you ask...? Well, see, it happened like this. First, I made the mistake of going to Russ Stutler's web page at someone's suggestion. And I started motoring through the site and found this link to his favorite sketching books (or more correctly put, books on sketching - not sketchbooks). So of course after seeing all his great stuff, I had to get a couple of them. Eight is a couple, right? (Oh, nine actually, if you count my Tim Wootton's Drawing and Painting Birds book - I already have an autographed copy from him, but I wanted to get one to wear out and keep the autographed copy since he sketched a Golden Eagle head inside the front cover for me - !) So on to Amazon I went and unfortunately, they had all the books, two of which have already arrived and all of them have been shipped, so they'll be dribbling in over the next week or so - pleasant surprises at the post office coming up!

As if that wasn't bad enough, then an e-mail blast from Goulet Pen Company showed up - and of course after all the discussion about favorite inks, I was about ready to place an ink order anyhow. Well, in the e-mail was a limited edition Lamy Safari in aquamarine. Same price as the others. Well, heck, how will I ever keep which ink is in which pen straight unless the pens are different colors - and aquamarine is a cool color. So, a few clicks on Goulet's website later, I have a Safari, converter and a couple bottles (yes, bottles, not samples) of ink were on order. They shipped today.

What can I say...I'm hooked.

#221   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Hahahaha! John, the same thing happened to me when I saw that Turquoise Lamy Safari. I HAD TO HAVE IT! I'd not been planning to place an order for awhile, but of course I always have that running wish list in my head, so along with the pen, I ordered a couple of bottles......

Is anybody else getting one of those cool aquamarine Lamy pens?

Just got back from sketching at the Bronx Zoo and I am EXHAUSTED!

Jamie
  #222   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

John, I am jealous! I saw that Lamy and was so tempted. . . but I haven't even gotten the really cool Nomadic bag I want yet! Waiting for end of the month. I think I will get one of those 3 buck pilot fountain pens that Jamie (I think??) said wrote smoothly and could be refilled and am eyeballing a couple other pens and ink samples (want to try the grays everyone is using with the watercolors!). I, too, am hopeless!

Last edited by RainySea : 05-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
  #223   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Jamie and Rainy!

You know what is the most scary thing about the limited edition color Lamy? If Goulet runs through a bunch of them (not to mention other retailers that probably have them as well) quickly, the marketing folks at Lamy might realize that there is an addicts component to their customer base who have a tough time not grabbing a/every limited edition color pen. What if they start doing them monthly? I might have to start pawning some of the guitars that I no longer play much (mandolin is my instrument these days) in order to keep myself in chartreuse, orange, lilac or who-knows-what-new-color pens that come out!! This is why Daniel Smith keeps coming out with new watercolor colors, I'm sure. Thank heavens I don't feel compelled to buy a tube of every new color they come out with (although I do have quite a high percentage of the ones that were available about three years ago), or I'd need to commandeer (spelling?) another room in the house as storage to free up space in my studio.

At least I am using my supplies a lot, not just buying them. The local art group's first plein air outing was today (in my hometown, which made it really easy) and we had a good turnout despite threatening skies initially. I'll post the piece I did a bit later in my May journal thread.

#224   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

That is so true, John, about the Lamy colors. I wonder when those Noodler's Flex pens will be back. . . do you still like yours Jamie? Do you have one of those, John?

NOW I am really jealous John. . . a studio room is something I really, really long for and look forward to one day. Hm. . . maybe since I can't have that right now I might have to get myself that limited pen next week to make myself feel better.
  #225   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

BTW. . . I think the PR Gray Flannel works well for using with watercolors for those interested in using grays. I used it for a sketch today and was pretty pleased with how it behaved.