WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:02 PM

Hails from United States

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: #1
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Other
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
cut and torn paper + acrylic on watercolor paper

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
color composition and contrast especially please

henrik: Do not use "funny" characters in the file-name of your image. You had a # in the name - this is interpreted as a reference to something inside the file. I replaced it with a %23 (the code for this character) to make it load.

Last edited by henrik : 01-23-2003 at 02:05 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cape Cod

Hails from United States
Color, composition good--very neo Ab Ex. What's not so good are the words--unless this is a flyer advertising something and they apply to that. Words either mean something or nothing--if something, what is it? If nothing, why bother?

Look at Basquiat's work--in it his words complement the images. Suggest you write your own words that signify something you feel or think about--tear them up and collage them if you're comfortable with that technique.

Overall, though--this is a good start.

regards,
anthony
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hails from United States
I think the composition is very strong but you could push it even further by emphasizing some elements over others a little better. I like the vertical elements broken by the word "HO" and the broad slashes of color.

The color is probably the weakest part for me. It's so intense and pure all over that it does not really draw your eye anywhere... perhaps if you introduced more subtle hues in some parts or a complimentary color.

Texture is another thing that strikes me as something that could really be expanded on further. You have some very nice areas such as where the paper is wrinkled or a mesh pattern is introduced, but I think if you worked the surface a little more and really increased the complexity of both color and texture, you would have a stronger image.

As far as the words needing to have meaning...I disagree. It's irrelevant because even if the words are chosen at random, each viewer is going to put together meaning from what is there. Sort of a random story! You could separate some more of the words or individual letters from the paragraphs or paint over some words.

Overall I really enjoyed looking at this. I think you are on the right track to producing some very complex and interesting work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:05 PM

Hails from United States
Henrik - thanks for fixing the image name. I didn't think it was loading, but I didn't know what was wrong.

Anthony - Thanks for the critique - generlly speaking, I am one of those who uses words as shape and visual texture rather than meaning (at least right now ;-)). I did go have a look at Basquiat's work tho, and I see what you mean.

Greg - Very thoughtful. And you are probably right in your comments about working with the texture more. I'm not sure about the color - I'm still thinking about that. One of the things I am noticing as I go back and look at the image is that it is not exactly true to life, color wise. This piece was an assignment in a workshop, and I am a rank beginner, so basically I feel like I was lucky I stopped before I worked it into oblivion. :- ) I actually feel like i overworked the upper right corner - there was a recognizable and probably copyrighted image from a magazine and I over painted it with tissue and more paint. Now it seems somewhat heavier than the rest of the piece. Anyway, thanks vey much for your critique.

Ivy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Plano, TX

Hails from United States
The Red

The red is so red, i can't find the print. I wonder if you could go in with thinner and create more transparency inside the red areas?
LiasArts.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2003, 06:14 PM

Hails from United States
Hi LisaArts -

I think that's a problem area too. Originally, it was more transparent, but as I became aware that I would be publishing this piece, I realized that what I had in the upper right corner was a trademarked logo, and so in order to prevent getting slapped with a copyright violation someday, I overlaid the area with tissue and more paint. And so now its muddy. My lesson learned from this was. in my collages, to not use other people's art or logos. I guess the thing to do is get your inspiration wherever you can, but then create your own collage pieces.

This peice was done in a workshop where the exercise was to use magazine cut outs to create the basis for our collages.

Thanks for you comment!

Ivy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations
critique

Great job. I agree with what you said about the shape of words. I don't think meaning is necessary, although by leaving in whole sentences, you might make some people think you are going somewhere with meaning in the words at first. Not a problem, however.

I am not bothered by the colors. However, the intesity of them seems to also cry out for some meaning to connect them with the words, etc. Maybe a small dash of something outside the yellow-orange-red spectrum. Maybe a dash of blue and light-blue might make it snap. Just my crazy ideas...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2003, 01:17 AM

Hails from United States
Hi Doug -

thanks for your comments.

I think you're right, and I'm working on a piece now w/ some other colors - blue like you suggested, cause I like that w/ the orange and I tried some green, but it wasn't good, so I painted over it. Oh well.

Those red/orage/yellows are my favorites right now, so they get used a lot. On my next one I'm going to try to use the same colors but not so intense.