WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Coffee Break!!!!

i didn't know this 'cruise' existed: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198956
i kind of came across it by accident. i sure am guilty of not getting out much.
you sure do juggle a lot of plates cap'n raybob.
how is your angel(s) coming along?
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 12:07 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by designbyjen
i didn't know this 'cruise' existed: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198956
i kind of came across it by accident. i sure am guilty of not getting out much.
you sure do juggle a lot of plates cap'n raybob.
how is your angel(s) coming along?

LOL Jen! Where have you been!?! I do the cruises once in awhile so as to get people to participate in an escape from the real world. This is cruise number 4 or 5, and some have been just hilarious! (The first one, was so funny, I spat coffee all over my computer reading the inputs!) I hope you went and joined up before we set port!

Ahhhhhh! My angels. Well not as good as I would like. I have moved to another portion of the canvas to block in more color while I figure out what to do with the angles. They are not looking like I want them to. So patience and determination is the key. I will get them done!

I am right in the middle of a rut, and I have started planning new market stategies to get more work out. I have a friend who is helping me get some new ideas off the ground. It could be one of the best things I could ever get into if it works! "Where's my coffee???!!!!!" Oooops, sorry I thought I was alone here! hehehe.

Well I must be off. Speaking of juggling plates, I am going to the writers guild in the morning to read a chapter from a fantasy fiction that I am writing. I hope it goes over well. It's been months since I started it, and I have 3 chapters written.

See ya!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

*yawns* looks like its gotten a little quiet. I guess everyone has been busy lol I know I curtainly have. I've been out running around and not getting much on my project done, but spending more time at work, and goofing off.

I'm currently cleaning the kitchen floor and taking a break to let it dry. The cat keeps walking across it tho,and getting little wet footprints all over the top of my computer desk. I'm on a cleaning frenzy. Tommorow night I'm going out to a concert - on a date none-the-less (gasp! - atleast i think it qualifies LOL) Anyways, since hes taking me to this concert, i'm inviting him over for dinner. Ahem. But one slight problem. He is allergic to cats, not to the point where he'll die the moment he meets my little fluffball, but he says he can last a few hours atleast. Hmm.. Anyways, it has put me on a mission to decatify my apartment, to try and get rid of as much as the cat hair as I can. And, ofcorse, cleaning one place kinda makes me want to clean every place else because it just looks better. And its been a while since i've done any actual cleaning (I confess, i'm a slob) and I guess i'm also just attempting to make a good impression lol

Y'know what could make a funny project? If we illustrated random parts of the big cruises! I confess i've only ever been on the first one. But feels like its time to take another one. i could use tiem to get outta here. ahhhhhh

Well. back to the floor, i think its try. Time to tackle the counters, and then - gasp - the bathroom.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

sigh.....hmmmm.....busy, yeah, thats it, I've been busy....no really I have....seriously.....

caffeine.......yummmm.....I always liked the secene in ...what was it callled.... uhhh....Medicine Man...I think....anyway Shawn Connery (sp?)...gives the female lead (can't remember just who she was)....anyways he gives her pure caffeine for a headache, and before she knows it, she's a feelin' goooooooooooood! ...............I've always wondered if pure caffeine would nock out a migrane...........?

Yes.....I had a migrane this past weekend....I don't get 'em often enough to warrant prescription drugs, so I just wait 'em out.........I rely on Excedrine Extra Strength....only thing that comes close...all it really does is push it to the background....then I wait.....after a few days it fades away.............oh well.....

Anyway, enough about my headache. I was thinking as I was surfing through some other forums (read that lurking) that many of them have a weekly type thread of this sort, and that maybe we should do the same? So that anyone new coming in wouldn't have to slogg thru so many pages to see whats going on...............thoughts?

Also, been thinking about, posting etiquette (not that I've seen anybody doing it wrong, just wanted to educate myself, so as not to do anything wrong myself), I had a couple thread links to post but lost 'em

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 07:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Plopping down in my chair with my coffee . . . been real busy at real life this last week. Granddaughters are coming to visit - that meant getting a room cleaned out and that lead from one thing to another. You know how Grannies are - Gotta be clean, set an example to those kids.

Dave - let me bring that idea up to the Mods - I think it's a good idea. With Coolray at the helm we can sail on the coffee sea each week. We do this over in the pastel forum - we have the Weekly Scumble - and it's the local chat room where we talk just about everything. I did get lost finding my way here - so what does everyone else think???

Axl - how'd the date go?? hmmmmm . . . any sneezes?
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

yep, been work'in my skin off. literally. got a nice quarter-size boo boo from that lovely encaustic i just finished. it's melt temp is higher than your avg. wax so one big drip = pain. have to shoot it for digital submission for show entry (oh, love that kinda entry)...so i'll post it in here when i get that far. it's not illustrative by any means, but may be of interest technique-wise.
kyle...i even used oil pastel w/ it! BTW, loved your country church scene--from that & your other stuff...you'd fit right into the greeting card market. 'nudge, nudge'.

also finished a mixed media piece which happened extremely quick from sketch/concept to finish. i'll be sure to add that to the sketchy thread. i do most of my sketches after not being able to sleep because the idea refuses to leave me alone. i pretty much lay there & sketch in my head until every detail is worked out & then get up & scribble it out so i don't forget anything! i still manage to have to turn the light on at least 2 more times for notations of technique & such...but once i get it all out my brain will let me sleep!

speaking of sleep...i gotta take the kiddies to the zoo tomorrow...looks like i'll be popping some pain med.s too!
caffeine, OTC drugs....we're all quite a support group. har har.
~~~jen
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 09:01 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

date? date?? ahhh.... *waves from a place thats not her own* lolol We went to see a concert last night and had a lot of fun. it was really really good! fun times!

thanx for asking *G* i need to go cuddle now lol

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

jen saunters in w/ one of her latest pieces of artwork & hangs it on the wall...cleans up all of the stir sticks, empty sugar packets, abandoned coffee cups & runs a wet rag over the coffee bar.
she leaves the gang a photo & note which reads: "hey guys, this is that encaustic ptg i was mentioning. u know, the one i burnt skin off to create! are any of you doing any experimenting w/ new mediums? see ya later, ~~~jen
p.s. ya like the picture of my lil' expressionist?"
Attached Images

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Dam that encaustic??? I dont think i've ever seen anything done like that! Very nice! Doesnt look like my mental idea of encaustic at all! interesting! How long have u been doing them?

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

welp, this b the first completed one. have another one i started first, but it's only got the wax in one area & am not finished w/ it yet.
the thing is...i didn't tint the wax...only using it for collage-ablility & awesome texture. maybe not a 'true' encaustic because lack of pigment...but i don't think anyone would want to buy it if i didn't use that term because it also means higher temp = harder & safer surface. unpigmented encaustic & mixed media? geez, gett'in windy there...but maybe the best medium description.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

its really cool! i like the experimental side of it. It works well, it'd be cool to see the other, and how they progress

we should start a show-off thread of our non-illustration works, just the stuff that we do for the sake of doing things, our experiments, and stuff we do outside of the illustration world.

I think Kyle you mentioned this earlier. I'll start one if theres some interest. I think it'd be great to see the wider range of what everyone's doing

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Dave walks thru,on his way to the frig, head down, eyes glazed over, mumbling something about crazy clients and the need for more time.........he glances up, does a double take, sees jen's encaustic, in a lame Keanau Reeves impression says "woha, cool!"

Seriously, jen, very cool. Great texture, I like the way the birds seem a part of the support, rather than painted on top. I read a littlebit about encaustic a while back, apparently its very durable and long lasting. Very slick..

Sadly I wouldn't have much for a show off thread.....A friend was visiting the studio the other day and asked "so what kinds of art do you like to do for yourself?" I replied, "uhhhhhhhhh....welll...." I have been so focused on getting my illustration practice going and stable that I have neglected to do anything else......that's.....that's just not healthy......something I'll have to correct.....all work and no play makes Dave a wigged out, half crazed,..... well......gimme some time......

Dave turns away and slowly shuffles out the door, eyes once again glazing over......mumbling......

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Wandering in bleary eyed - grabs some coffee and sits in front of Jen's encaustic to study this wonderful piece of art. Wonderful work Jen - it almost looks like pottery or tile work, or something chipped out of stone or granite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Happy_Goth
I think Kyle you mentioned this earlier. I'll start one if theres some interest. I think it'd be great to see the wider range of what everyone's doing

I think it's an excellent idea - but I'm being selfish here - since I don't normally work in illustration, I would love to share what I've been doing too.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States

*Scrambles for a cup o' hot joe* Hey all! Sorry I'm late! I've been slaving over this painting, and really having a hard time getting away. *gulps coffee* Mmmm, that's good. This has been the hardest painting in quite some time. I really need a break, but it looks like I won't get it if this other venture takes off. I'm pushing to get more students signed up, and to secure a mail order mural business. Hand painted murals delivered to your door! *nutther sip* whew, I really needed that!

Jen, that is some great stuff there! I love the blue colors,and the composition. You have done a wonderful job there!

Axl, tis a great idea! I do so much more than illustrate, that it is hard to keep my threads straight! lol. But I also have been lax in showing some of my latest t-shirt designs. I shall look them up and post them soon.

I have become a hermit artist in the past 3 weeks. Not getting out unless I just have to. Money being tight, and gas being the way it is, keeps me at home trying to finish my painting that I have commissioned. I do most of my business by email now, when I can. I am also trying to get my new website running. I have it up, but it's still under construction. I shall be working on it from time to time.

*last gulp* Well I can see by the coffee stain that I am sloppy. heheh. I guess that means I gotta go. Take care all! (This thread is getting quite popular!)

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

ah! the last swallow of coffee! hate it when that happens! it always happens too soon.
if i had a t.g.i.f. t-shirt...i'd surely be wear'in it. by the way some of you have been draggin your butts in here...sounds like i'm not alone.
found out a show competition i'm entering has extended their deadline till next thurs. so i'd have time to work on a 3rd piece for their up to 3 max entry; as now i only have 2 pieces to enter. so last night did a brainstorm session & came up w/ another piece to do. i hate being reduced to this mentality but i need notches in my stick. any of you been entering any sort of competitions?
have a good weekend, y'all. i know 'weekend' doesn't mean an end of work to all--it sure doesn't for me...but it does mean i won't be watching the kids, & doing art w/ NO interruptions = fun for me.
~~~jen