WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#256   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, May 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

Well I just sent into the ether a long response which I will not try to re do...
Great work everyone, and thanks for your comments on mine.
Ronsu, I will ask you about your manganese thalo. What color is it, what brand? My 3 paintings have real PB33 manganese blue that I'm carefully experimenting with. I probably won't take it outside due to the fact that I often get as much paint on me as on the canvas!
  #257   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

talens rembrandt PB15:4. where did you find real manganese? i hope your photos come out well, i'm excited to see the pigment at work.

sidbledsoe 😔 i'm sorry your friend is gone.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 05-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
  #258   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

I got it several years ago as part of a large purchase from an estate sale. The woman was probably an art teacher. It was in one of the bags or boxes of supplies that was about the only purchase I ever made in all my years for paint, and I spent that because of several new cadmiums. The cadmiums were going up in price at the time. I recently realized I had the manganese, and have been trying to find out about it ever since.
It's a weak color, and apparently darkens, can lean green if ground with linseed oil, which mine is, so I'm mixing it with a touch of zinc white to help eliminate that yellowing. Apparently the zinc will help. I'm finding it takes more than a few days to dry as a glaze, so these will take longer than I thought. It will be a while before I have photos to show of it due to it's weak color. Apparently several glazes will be needed.
Mine is permanent pigments and they quit making oil paint years ago. Thanks for your response.
  #259   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

Sid, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved cat. Hang in there.

Ronsu, thanks for posting the cool photos -- of both the cat and the hoe. I'm interested in your discussion with ntl about manganese blue. I've used manganese "hue" off and on, especially for skies. I don't know what pigment blend I've been using; I think I've tried W&N and M. Graham. But last week I dug out some phtalo blue and was surprised that it seemed to give me roughly the same look as the manganese. Is phtalo blue a workable substitute?

Daily painting #31: I managed to do a painting every day this month, but my final painting is a bit of a clunker. I don't know what possessed me to try to paint a figure in an extreme foreshortened position. Talk about a drawing challenge! So it's not my best work, but the warm light is kind of cool. "On the couch," oil on panel, 8" x 8."

Last edited by Grotius : 05-31-2019 at 12:33 AM.
  #260   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I don't have time to comment b/c I've got a deadline tomorrow, but mosc, ronsu and Geoff, terrific work! Geoff, I think the last one is very good!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 05-31-2019 at 02:14 AM.
  #261   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Daily Painting # 30. "Lonely Pumpkin"
Poor thing. I still try to learn paint pumpkins. size: small, oil on gesso card board.

Name:  Day30_P5038703.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  517.1 KB

Tonight planning to paint plein air at the back terrace. There's quite pretty light in the afternoons.

Grotius, "On the couch" painting is very good and the foreshortened pose is convincing to me. I like the light overall in this painting. Congratulations on finishing all 31 paintings!

Sid, I'm so sorry to hear about loss of your beloved cat.

Ronsu, that tool is so cool. It sure is old, I knew it had to be something very old. The cat in the picture looks like Toyger. Toygers are something "similar" to Bengals. Your cat is so cute there in the picture that I want to come, pick up and give her(him) a hug!

ntl, sorry you lost the post somewhere, it's always annoying. I usually write my longer answers somewhere else and save it and then copy-paste it here to wc.

Thank you everyone for commenting on my latest paintings. I'm reading every comment very carefully, try to learn, entertain and every now and then have a wide smile on my face when reading them .... Van Rijn . Also thank you everyone who participated this challenge. There were obstacles, hard work, long hours, fighting but also fun and the end came finally. Hope to see you all next month. I try to post as much as I can with some breaks of course.

Last edited by moscatel : 05-31-2019 at 02:01 AM.
  #262   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:55 AM
Lord of the Arts

Here are all 30 paintings from me together:

#263   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast

Moscatel, that's a lovely little pumpkin! I'd say you've come close to mastering that subject. The color seems exactly right to me, and your pumpkin has form and dimension.

Have I ever told you that the very first oil painting I ever did was of a pumpkin? I'd just gotten some student-grade paint and a canvas, and I was all excited to paint something. For some reason I decided to paint a pumpkin. Inexplicably, I decided to put the pumpkin on top of a garbage can, lol. So the composition was ridiculous, but the pumpkin actually looked okay, and I was hooked.

Also, I LOVE your montage of all 30 of your paintings! Congratulations on completing so many! I really want to thank you for proposing this idea, and especially for your enthusiasm and productivity. Without you, this month's theme would not have been nearly as successful. Looking at your montage, I'm struck by how many lovely still lifes you did, but your self-portrait also stands out as an excellent achievement.

Can I ask: how did you create that montage? Photoshop? I'd like to do something similar. Also, would you consider re-posting it in the beginning of next month's thread, to inspire us all?

Finally, thanks to everybody for participating! This was the most successful oil-from-life thread in its history. I really enjoyed the paintings, and I especially enjoyed the discussion and back-and-forth. I learned a lot from it.

Feel free to keep posting your daily paintings here until midnight; then we'll be on to the June thread.
  #264   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 02:09 PM
Lord of the Arts

Grotius, thanks! Yes, I did it with Photoshop. Your first painting was pumpkin , guess what: I painted first a red apple. It's odd because red color apples are the difficult ones yet many beginners - me included - paint first an apple. After that I haven't dared to try apple again.
  #265   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Apples are tough! I always find them challenging.

I followed your lead and put all 31 of my May daily paintings into a collage in Photoshop. It took me a couple hours! But well worth it. Here it is:

#266   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

edit: the text below was written before reading the two posts above
-----------------

Grotius there's a funny sense of voyerism, which means i feel i'm in the room. my first reaction was "oops" like needing to back out. it's probably the eyes, the expression, there's enough human to prompt that reaction. interesting.

Moscatel Van Rijn we are looking at the same pumpkin? yes? it's good and it's true to model. the scale of the model inhibits real detail, which would make both look more pumpkin-like. should you wish it to look realistic pumpkin, you need either a photo or to wait till harvest.
○○the picture wall is awesome! gives us all a perspective four weeks back. a rare perspective at that!
○○re: kitty; i'm still visiting, he's my mom's. a thoroughbred farm cat, The Vermin Termin Ater, he's huge and glides out of any lap - if he stayed long enough in the first place. he clearly likes painters painting and you could comb him to discover a purring puddle of killer gauge luuuuurve. you'd make a friend for life 😺

"May 30th rainspiration" oil on paper 10x15cm. really kickin' loose! piling it on!

Name:  20190531_190939-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  140.3 KB

greengray location through a rainy window:

Name:  20190531_153514(0)-1.jpg
Size:  157.1 KB

drum roll

😀😀😀

"May 31st in the cattle kitchen" oil sketch on paper 10x15cm. the last time this month i choke on the background.

Name:  20190531_211542-1.jpg
Size:  124.3 KB

💖 Thank You All! 💖

see you next month!

Last edited by ronsu18 : 05-31-2019 at 03:54 PM.
  #267   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:23 PM
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Beautiful work everyone. I really enjoyed looking at every piece of yours. I'm going to excuse myself from commenting individually, feeling a bit tired and homesick...

I've however been keeping myself busy with some urban sketches today with pencils. Was fun.

Sid, sorry to hear about your cat. <3
  #268   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

DMA

best efforts on a phone:

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-31-23-55-27-1.png
Views: 41
Size:  615.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-31-23-55-20-1.png
Size:  612.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-31-23-55-39-1.png
Size:  502.3 KB

finished that ^ lower one. counting that as a session, i've worked 31 sessions this month, three of them continuing the previous session.
(creative mind, yes?)
there's one missing, can't bear go look at the maiming, sorry, painting of the kitty.

Last edited by ronsu18 : 05-31-2019 at 05:10 PM.
  #269   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

These composite pics are all really great and show what a great success this month was, thanks for all those who joined in, thanks to Geoff for another awesome paint together challenge.
Thank you to everyone for the very kind words you sent to me.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-31-2019 at 10:27 PM.