Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Spike lavender oil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ocmd123

Disclaimer: I have not used this. I saw a comment on Instagram about Spike Lavendar Oil as a solvent for cp. I’m not a fan of solvents in general, so I won’t be trying this. But I thought I’d pass it along for anyone interested. A non toxic solvent is always good. If you take this for a test drive , please give us a review!

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/lavender-spike-oil-essence

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

DaneelOlivaw

There has been much interest over here lately, as lavender oil has been found to be an endocrine disruptor (oestrogenic effect mostly) for susceptible/ sensitive individuals. Much like rosemary oil is a no-no for those with epilepsy.

Not being aware of which specific chemical is involved, I’m not sure how much of it is common to all the lavenders.

I know that spike lavender has more camphor components, and shares some properties of the eucalyptus oils.

I thought it was worth popping up an FYI, in case some were unaware.

I ended up using Langridge low toxic solvent, myself.

Neither mistake beauty for goodness, nor courtesy for weakness.

frida

I’d never use my precious lavender oil for CP, as I use a dab to help me sleep during bad nights… Don’t want to fall asleep at my drawing board! :lol:

Anyway, what’s the difference between toxic and low toxic? Just curious…

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Pingpongfan

Saw a video where Goo Gone was used as a cp solvent. Now that sounds a bit toxic to me. I have some. Maybe I will give it a try!
                    Vena

Lizzy57

Spike Lavender oil is completely different from Lavender oil that is used in aroma therapy or for sleep, relaxation, etc. I have used it and it does work very well as a solvent, and the smell is delightful. I can definitely recommend it for CP blending.

HobbyG33k

There has been much interest over here lately, as lavender oil has been found to be an endocrine disruptor (oestrogenic effect mostly) for susceptible/ sensitive individuals. Much like rosemary oil is a no-no for those with epilepsy.

Not being aware of which specific chemical is involved, I’m not sure how much of it is common to all the lavenders.

I know that spike lavender has more camphor components, and shares some properties of the eucalyptus oils.

I thought it was worth popping up an FYI, in case some were unaware.

I ended up using Langridge low toxic solvent, myself.

OMG! I had no idea! I’m so GLAD I stumbled upon this! Epilepsy runs in the family and I just recently found out that I’ve been suffering from it for YEARS now. =-(!!!!! (Wish I could have gotten some help FOREVER ago with it. Instead of being Exorcised like I was =-(!!!!!!) Anyway, I had No IDEA about this stuff! Where do you live? You seem to have info. that I’ve never stumbled across before. But thank you for posting this anyway, I had NO Idea. =-[]!

HobbyG33k

And P.S. personally I’ve found that using 90% Rubbing Alcohol is not only the BEST alternative and solution but it’s also the cleanest ;-D!
                                That and yo udon’t have to worry if you spill any, it’s not the end of the world. You just clean it up and then wait till it dries.
                                and it really works well too for blending Colored Pencils =-D! *Two Thumbs Way Up!* =-D!

DaneelOlivaw

OMG! I had no idea! I’m so GLAD I stumbled upon this! Epilepsy runs in the family and I just recently found out that I’ve been suffering from it for YEARS now. =-(!!!!! (Wish I could have gotten some help FOREVER ago with it. Instead of being Exorcised like I was =-(!!!!!!) Anyway, I had No IDEA about this stuff! Where do you live? You seem to have info. that I’ve never stumbled across before. But thank you for posting this anyway, I had NO Idea. =-[]!

I’m in Australia… and was a pharmacy assistant. I’ve also run across a lot of aromatherapy info in the course of my life… not due to a particular interest, I’m just an insatiable reader.

I believe rosemary is contra-indicated for pregnant women and epileptics, due to the inducement of certain chemicals in the brain, as well as exciting various centres in the brain – I’m hazy on specifics, as I’m not an aroma therapist.

There was one poor little girl here who was starting puberty at four, because all the baby creams her parents were using were stuffed full of lavender oil, and she happened to be sensitive to any sort of endocrine disruption chemicals – which are a lot of things we use every day.

Very different to spike lavender, which, as I said has more camphorous components, etc. All the lavenders are chemically different, though the variations can be small or great… I’m not aware of the specific components of the oil that were of concern, and cannot speak to how much of this is shared across the lavender species.

It was just an FYI, as I know a lot of people have these issues, and haven’t been given full information from their health care professionals. (Ask me as a pharmacy assistant, how many things that doctors neglect to tell their patients! Sheesh!)

Langridge low toxic OMS are able to be shipped by road and air, and I think the allowable exposure is three or four times higher than regular odourless mineral spirits, but don’t quote me on that.

I used Isopropyl alcohol, however I wasn’t thrilled with the results… It didn’t blend as smoothly as the OMS, so Langridge was the way to go. I tend to use it on my alfresco or sitting in a draft between two open windows/doors.

DaneelOlivaw

I’d never use my precious lavender oil for CP, as I use a dab to help me sleep during bad nights… Don’t want to fall asleep at my drawing board! :lol:

Anyway, what’s the difference between toxic and low toxic? Just curious…

I think it’s to do with volatile organic compounds – things like hydrocarbons, that flash off into the atmosphere and do all sorts of icky things to your lungs, liver, and DNA expression when inhaled.

Every time I paint my house, even with low VOC paint, I get awful outbreaks of acne all along my cheekbones… endocrine disruptor central, LOL, apart from the general toxicity that your liver then has to try and dump out.

I eventually had to stop oil paints, from the problems I was having. I have a methylation disorder, though, so my body doesn’t detox well in the first place. People spraying perfume/hairspray/deoderants in public bathrooms, and just before they get on public transport, are literally killing me slowly… so for me, anything like this is calculated risk. You can’t avoid life, but I can say, I’ll use the low toxic in a well ventilated area, rather than choose isopropyl where I don’t get the result I want.

Choices… who’d have ’em? :lol:

ocmd123

Good information here. I think everyone has a personal responsibility to educate themselves and be aware of what they are using, and how it may affect them and their individual circumstances. An easy read about some of the differences.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                            Instagram

Save

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.