Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Famous hunting scene artworks?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trapjaw

Hi everyone. I was wondering if the good folks of this forum could provide me with suggestions for historical artworks that depict wild animal hunts*. I’m looking for images in the vein of Peter Paul Rubens’ “Tiger and Lion Hunt” and “Hippopotamus and Crocodile Hunt” (pictured below). While I’m using these as guidelines, stylistically I’m looking for absolutely anything with the same subject matter. Busy compositions and action scenes like these are what I’m after. I welcome any suggestions for non-Western artworks as well; I’d like to see any artworks featuring this subject matter from anywhere in the world, and from any historical period from ancient to modern. Thanks!

* Just to clarify, I am not a hunter nor am I in favour of hunting (quite the opposite, in fact). Please, no debates on that in this thread. The images I’m looking for would be used in a book.

Use Her Name

Much legal action over this, but I think that Peggy Detmer’s Tatanka sculpture is the most fabulous bison hunting scene ever. detmerstudios LLC

There are loads of hunting “sculptures” if you wish to go that way– I mean, why not? Many of these are living sculptors (some better than others) and I’ll wager not many have been in books, so you would be forging a new trail.

Why not think on it?

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Kosmon

Frederic Remington did a few action-packed “buffalo hunt” paintings that would fit right in. And at least one bronze on the same theme.

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
                from
                PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                trapjaw

Thanks for the help guys :)

Use Her Name

Thanks for the help guys :)

Maybe you could narrow it down? There are, of course, Egyptian and Greek hunting motifs, sculpture, bas-reliefs, maybe paintings but they don’t last a long time. I think that in the ancient days hunting was about putting food on the table, not just glorifying man-skills, so you got much less of them. Quite a few nice still lives of hunted (dead) rabbits and pheasants.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

DaveCrow

Lots of still life of game after the hunt. A popular suject in folk painting as well.

A few hunting scenes in paleolithic art, but not a lot as humans were a less common subject than animals.

Lots of sporting magazines Field and Stream, etc commision hunting scenes.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

JuliusEvola

Paolo Uccello’s The Hunt by Night might be of interest, due to the wonderful execution of the piece and it’s status as a milestone in the development of perspective in Western art.

Archimedes

For some ancient stuff, do a Google image search on “stag hunt mosaic” and “lion hunt mosaic.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.