Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oil Paint Drying Unevenly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    alexconnelly

Hi painting friends!

I have a question regarding my process of oil painting. I have been finding parts of my paintings drying really streaky (see attached photo). I am wondering if anyone can help me resolve this issue. I generally paint using oils and add a touch of mineral spirits to the paint. Is this the reason that they sometimes dry unevenly? The paintings are dry, they have been left for weeks.

I have used cold pressed linseed oil instead of mineral spirits but seem to have similar results.

If I can provide you with any more information that would help please let me know. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with this issue, I really appreciate it!

Alex

Seeing this pic, it seems to me that your paint has dried so matte because of a very absorbent support, and only a few parts have dried without the oil soaking in the porous ground.
        If it is actually this reason for your problem, try to give a white acrylic coat (TiO2 Liquitex Basics slightly thinned with water, as example) on your ground before painting. Commercial “gessos” often contain so much fillers that their formula goes too far over the CPVC, and they exhibit too much porosity. A simple student grade acrylic paint is really better.

alexconnelly

Thanks for the response! Do you use the Ti02 Liquitex Basics over your gesso layers once they’re dry?

Anyone else do this?

I never really considered it might be the gesso but that’s a good idea. Thank you

Thanks for the response! Do you use the Ti02 Liquitex Basics over your gesso layers once they’re dry?

Anyone else do this?

I never really considered it might be the gesso but that’s a good idea. Thank you

What is your painting surface? My preference in a painting medium and adding several coats of gesso on top of a primed canvas. I like Golden gesso. We have seen this before here…check the back of your canvas also.

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Lpaint22

A few things I would suggest:
                1) Do not use OMS alone as a medium….use a bit of galkyd, liquin or a traditional oil painting medium
                2) As stated, try to figure out if your ground is stable
                3) If the paint is totally dry, try oiling out to eliminate streaks that are caused by uneven sinking in……I use this method….. 1/2 OMS 1/2 Galkyd……paint liberally over the entire painting…….then rub off excess and let dry.
                Here is a video on the method
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvY_rl1dmkU

I don’t use gesso anymore. On the stretched canvas, I put one layer of hide glue and an oil paint with old school pigments like lead white, umber, ochers…
                If I prepare my canvas with modern synthetic materials, the first coat is made of Caparol filled with a little fine silica. Then a coat of white acryl paint, sometimes toned with other colors.

alexconnelly

Thank you to everyone who has responded!

I usually stretch raw canvas and then do two layers of gesso over that. Perhaps I should be waiting longer to let my gesso dry? I usually leave it for about a day before putting on the next layer, however, at times I have been impatient and added the second gesso layer after a few hours.

The back of the canvas is great, nothing is leaking through.

I took a look at the oiling out video, I think that might be where I start with this piece since I’m already pretty far along. After oiling out it looks like I can continue to work on the piece (after it is dry), is that correct?

Any links to articles or other posts with more information about this would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. I’ll be sure to share the finished piece, that will hopefully be streak free!

Lpaint22

As to putting layers of acrylic gesso on raw canvas, I put 3-4 coats and sand in between the layers (not sanding the final coat). I do not wait a full day in between layers (you do not have to)…..I let about 2-4 hours to dry in between layers. It is important to wait at LEAST 24 hours for the final coat to dry before starting your painting. If I were you, I would put on at least 3 coats of an artist grade acrylic gesso.

Yes, do allow the coats of gesso dry at least a day between coats…you do not want to trap moisture between layers. I have seen student’s have a variety of issues from rushing this process. I also prefer 3 coats with light sanding in between and my final coat…my preference for a smoother canvas.

Angel :angel:
                        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

alexconnelly

Thank you to everyone who offered their help with my question. I am attaching an image of the piece after I oiled it out using a solution of half galkyd and half mineral spirits. The paint is definitely more even so I’m happy about that.

However, I did use a cheese cloth as suggested in the youtube video that Gamblin makes about oiling out and unfortunately, the cheesecloth spread fibers all over my painting (see image 2). I tend to keep my canvases a bit on the rougher side (I don’t sand them after applying gesso). Do you have any suggestions for a stronger cheesecloth or different material to use to wipe the piece after I apply the galkyd/mineral spirits?

Thanks again to everyone, I’m always so thankful for all of your expertise :)

I just use whatever my current oily rag is….usually an old tshirt or, right now, an old pair of yoga pants.

That’s very unfortunate about all those fibers in your painting- did you get them off? It should be easy if the oil hasn’t dried.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

alexconnelly

Unfortunately, no, I didn’t notice until it was too late… it might just have to be a hairy painting now ;)

I feel like even using a rag will leave fibers though if my surface is a little rough. Any thoughts? Have your paintings turned out clean using a rag?

Thanks!

Gigalot

Microfiber

contumacious

You might try mopping up the excess with a dry hog bristle brush (or several brushes) rubbed over the surface. Wipe the brush off frequently as needed so it will keep picking up more until you have it nice and even.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Oil Paint Drying Unevenly’ is closed to new replies.