Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions J Roybal painting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave Scammell

Well Here is the painting the wife purchased, we need info on the artist if any one can help.
        Thank you,
        Dave Scammell

james.bishop

Possibly Joyce Roybal, born 1955. See artprice.com.

Also have a look at denisgervais.com. Maybe you could send them a request for further info on the artist?

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light"
            Dylan Thomas

It seems quite difficult to find any real information on this artist.

As I’m sure you’ve found, most of the sites that come up when searching for this name are offering “hand painted original oil paintings”. For example, here is a company offering “Museum-Quality oil paintings Hand-Painted by artists + Wholesale at the Lowest Trade Price !” J Roybal is on their list. By the way, be sure to scroll down to the About us button for a look at some of the artists. artonchina.com[/URL]

I am wondering whether this artist was someone famous whose art is subsequently being copied (like Jack Vettriano or the impressionists, for example) or whether J Roybal describes a style of commercial painting.

[i]Originally posted by james.bishop [/i]
            [B]Possibly Joyce Roybal, born 1955. See [URL=http://web.artprice.com/artistdetails.aspx?idArti=Njk3NTM0OTAwOTQ4ODk4LQ==]artprice.com[/URL].

[/B]

I think James nailed it on this. Female artist: Joyce Roybal.
            I’ve seen links to her painting “Golfers” listed elsewhere on the web.

However, I have my doubts as to whether or not these are real original oil paintings at those extremely low prices listed on some sites. I do know of a technique of silk-screening images onto canvas and then doing a glazing technique over the screened image in order to replicate “brushstrokes”…in other words “buyer beware” this could be what’s known as “factory art”.

Judy - Moderator: Art History Forum and Reference Image Library

[i]Originally posted by pinkrybns [/i]
            [B]I think James nailed it on this. Female artist: Joyce Roybal.
            I’ve seen links to her painting “Golfers” listed elsewhere on the web. [/B]

There don’t seem to be any images on that link and I tried searching on Joyce Roybal and got absolutely nothing. Is anyone subscribed to artprice.com?

james.bishop

Curiouser and curiouser…

This source reckons J Roybal is male, American and living in LA…

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light"
                Dylan Thomas

[i]Originally posted by james.bishop [/i]
                [B]Curiouser and curiouser…

This [URL=http://www.estateantiquesale.com/artpaintingantique.html]source[/URL] reckons J Roybal is male, American and living in LA… [/B]

Hmmm, interesting…

And the English grammar on that site is extremely poor:

“HE HAS NO INTEREST TO BE FAMOUS…” “… AND HIS WORKS OF ART IS WANTED BY MORE PEOPLE… ”

Who knows?!

Judy - Moderator: Art History Forum and Reference Image Library

hrg

My understanding is that J Roybal is Brazilian. I bought a Roybal painting at an art auction and it is bright, colorful, and intense…much like the one above that someone was inquiring about.

brianvds

The painting is in a style that has been endlessly imitated. I often see very similar paintings around here, in galleries, sold on sidewalks, hanging in restaurants and so on.

This will perhaps make it difficult to work out who the artist of this particular painting is. If he’s anyone famous, surely he would have signed his work?

Here’s what I found…

J. ROYBAL

J Roybal is a multitalented artist who has been highly influenced by The work of Boulanger. His style of color and balance of characters in his paintings reflects a wide range of styles, ranging from musical statements of children learning to play instruments, to sports, involving children at play with polo and football, allowing his audience to capture a pure moment of innocence and celebration of being a child. His main theme
                        throughout his work underlines the essence of music and play, and the role it has throughout many of life’s many encounters. At times his work is very textured giving it an old world feeling with a contemporary theme, while at other times his use of color is very graphic, going from muted tones to very bright and bold. Some refer to his images as “Puffy People”.
                        Roybal began painting at the age of 18 and continued throughout his life in Italy, painting children at play in many of the towns and villages that he frequented. “Coming to the United States was quite and experience”
                        quotes Roybal, ” Many of the towns and villages in Europe are quite different from the city scapes in the United States and the backdrop of the children at play has changed quite significantly.” Roybal currently resides in
                        upstate New York where he continues his work surrounded by his three children and wife of 25 years. Roybal’s paintings may be found in fine galleries throughout the United States and Europe as well as South America. ”
                        ————————————————
                        If you like Roybal then you might want to check out his inspiration:
                        Graciela Rodo Boulanger I looked up a site with a brief biography of her —she is fairly famous and can be found inposter and print mediums as well as canvases.

It all sounds suspicious to me. Too many fakes and copies of the work.

-Spencer "Many believe - and I believe - that I have been designated for this work by God. In spite of my old age, I do not want to give it up; I work out of love for God and I put all my hope in Him." -Michelangelo

kgoose

I have 5 original signed oil paintings from J Roybal that I bought in the mid 1990’s and was wondering if they really are worth some money. They are beautiful. I bought them from a starving artist party sometime around 1992-1995, they are on canvas.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • The topic ‘J Roybal painting’ is closed to new replies.