WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#391   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Gaffney, South Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Arnoud, I've tried again on the table. I'm just glad I can build 'em a lot better then I can draw 'em! I sketched this first then "fixed" it with the perspective. I was looking at this as more of a mechanical drawing, and I guess when I lost perspective on that, I lost the perspective of my drawing too so I hope this is better.

#392   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM

I see now. :'> Thanks for the input. And I've been to that website! (I didn't notice the tuts about perspective though lol)

Well, I'll stick for the easier basics for now haha.
  #393   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Gaffney, South Carolina

Hails from United States

and here's the project of the four box still life. The one box standing up and leaning isn't exactly right, but I couldn't really tell why. Maybe if I'd done the drawing larger? your time and effort are greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure all the other participants of these classes. I thank you from my heart and may God bless you richly for your service.

#394   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, Tim .

The change on the table is correct, and the boxes are very good, well, at least the three that stand firmly on the ground .
Quote:
The one box standing up and leaning isn't exactly right, but I couldn't really tell why.
You made it yourself more difficult than expected. This class is restricted to the very first - could say elementary - principles of perspective. We discuss only the perspective of horizontal lines. The formal construction for inclined planes gets too complicated. Well, in this case the effect is small enough that you can ignore it.
But one point: the long edges going to the back are horizontal, right? So they must converge to a point on the HL. So, something like this:

You did a good job in this class, please move on to class 3 .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #395   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Gaffney, South Carolina

Hails from United States

Thank you arnoud. I knew going in that the skewed box would be difficult, but also that it would enhance the composition of the picture. See you in class 3!
  #396   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Hello. Before I forget, can you tell me if my analysis in this drawing of mine is correct? I use Sai cuz I have trouble drawing parallel lines... T__T
Maybe.... should I use a ruler?? though I don't want to rely on it.
Name:  cub.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  57.5 KB

Thank you very much for the help
  #397   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

LoveProcastinate - Looks good technically speaking . I don't see any fundamental error.
Yes, use a ruler for analysing the VL's, why not? Imagine a carpenter who "doesn't want to rely on it" .
Digital means are acceptable for analysing - as I do -, but the drawing should be done with paper and pencil.
Now move on to the real assignments, draw first freehand from boxes in real life, then check and correct the perspective .

#398   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 AM

Here is my work.... Lately I dunno what I'm doing. Doing objects in perspective is hard and I haven't even put the details yet
I wish I wasn't so impatient

Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  262.3 KB
The bloody VP is way above the paper and I do not know how to analyze overlappings *__* Lazy

I wish to be corrected, thanks
  #399   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:37 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

LoveProcastinate -
Quote:
Doing objects in perspective is hard
OK, you need to pay attention, but elementary perspective is not hard to understand. In fact, there is only one theoretical aspect that needs to be understood: the definition of a vanishing line. You must understand that this a and b are not vanishing lines.

The other principles in this elementary class are really obvious when shown in a simple example, see post #365, a few pages back.
Take one point at a time: "further away looks smaller"
Which side is further away, a or b?

When the VP is off the page it is alright to guess the correct direction. With serious errors it is apparent enough.

That takes me to the important question: did you check with VL's, I can't see them. Please check before filling in details, and leave them in, so I can see what you understand.

#400   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Table with modern tv and Kleenex in 1 pt perspective.
A very rough sketch of a chair in 2 & 3 point perspective... I had a very difficult time with the chair this time around :/
& picture #3: the four boxes
Attached Images

#401   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Spinster - You worked hard .
You seem to be confused about the technicalities.
First 1PP, 2PP, 3PP: this is popping up in every introduction but should be left out IMO. It is only confusing - ignore it, don't try to interpret it. Proof: what you called 1PP and 3PP are not that, they are both 2PP . It is a mathematical concept, utterly useless for artists, there is no relation with the number of VP's in a real scene. If it corresponds, it is just by coincidence.
The only theoretical point that is really important here is the definition of a vanishing line (VL). In your second drawing of the chair, the blue lines are VL's, the red lines definitely not. And from the other lines I don't understand the intention.

Perspective is not an aim in itself, it is a powerful tool, like a straightedge or a pair of compasses. The basic tool is the VL: it teaches you how to draw all sizes/positions in a coherent way. But how can a line between the VP and another single point show you the correct position? try it: shift that point and draw a line to the VL: still "OK", wherever you draw that point .

All the other "rules" of this introductory class on perspective are intuitively understood when demonstrated in a simple example, the railroad tracks. See post #365, a few pages back.

First intuitive rule "further away looks smaller"

Admit that the back is further away than the front . And line a is a complete riddle for me.

The 4 boxes: again "further away looks smaller" (box b). And how can I check your understanding of perspective if you crop half a box (a)?

Keep up the good work .

#402   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 AM

Hello,

It took me a bit longer to get the assignments done but here they finally are:

cubes

chairs

a box and two books

#403   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

muikku - Nice to see you again .

It is a good idea to read a bit what other pupils drew, and the comments on their work. You can learn a lot from each other .
As I wrote in the post just before yours:
Quote:
Perspective is not an aim in itself, it is a powerful tool, like a straightedge or a pair of compasses. The basic tool is the VL: it teaches you how to draw all sizes/positions in a coherent way. But how can a line between the VP and another single point show you the correct position? try it: shift that point and draw a line to the VL: still "OK", wherever you draw that point .

All the other "rules" of this introductory class on perspective are intuitively understood when demonstrated in a simple example, the railroad tracks. See post #365, a few pages back.
The very first principle, which is often greeted with a "Yea, sure, of course" is "further away looks smaller" Yea, of course.
But look here, the back sides are farther from us then the fronts, aren't they?

You draw them in a sort of "isometric projection", not in perspective. Not wrong in itself, but "isometric projection" is the way of the engineer, not of the artist. And anyway, this is a class on perspective.

An example that let me think that the definition of a VL is not very clear is this: the emphasized lines are NO vanishing lines. You cannot check the size with a line that connects only two points.

Don't despair, the basic principles are not difficult to understand. But I admit that they are difficult to apply consistently .

#404   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 PM

What is this perspective about? Is it something like proportion?
  #405   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM

I was wondering if I could get some feed back on this and if you could tell me if i'm doing it right before I finish it up.

I realized I wasn't drawing it at eye level, so I was wondering if I should redo it.

Exercise 3:

Name:  photo-10.JPG
Views: 7
Size:  73.2 KB

Here's a closeup of the sketch:

Name:  photo-12.JPG
Views: 7
Size:  78.0 KB

Thanks!

Last edited by Jane_Doe : 04-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.