WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Walnut Oil -- Linseed Oil

I use a Linseed based Oil Paint and have begun using Walnut Oil as my Medium. I haven't noticed any problems but am wondering if mixing Linseed with Walnut is something I should avoid.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Walnut Oil -- Linseed Oil

Just curious whether you mean mixing the two oils together in a medium or painting with walnut oil as a medium on top of passages that were done with linseed oil?

Also are you using straight walnut oil as your medium, or is it mixed with something else?

My initial reaction is that you should be fine since Walnut Oil is fatter (slower drying) than Linseed, but it might not be a good idea. I have read that it is better to use the same medium through the entire painting. That being said, I have used paint with walnut alkyd medium over linseed oil only layers with zero problems.

I am assuming that you know that straight walnut oil mixed with the slower drying colors can take many weeks to just skim over, let alone actually dry. You may want to add a bit of walnut alkyd to the pure walnut oil, or even a bit of linseed oil to speed up the drying.

You might want to post this in the oils / technical area also to get a larger viewing audience.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=491

Last edited by contumacious : 09-13-2017 at 07:28 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 04:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I mix Walnut Oil and Linseed Oil routinely. I use paints that are ground in Walnut Oil, and also some that have a Linseed Oil binder, mixing them together.

In addition to that, I make a glazing medium that includes both Linseed Oil, AND Walnut Oil, choosing each for their specific characteristics.

Mixing Linseed Oil, and Walnut Oil together is perfectly appropriate, and they are both compatible with each other. And much more compatible than some ingredients that are often recommended to be mixed together.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Thanks Contumacious and Mr Martin.

I had been following Carole Marine's Medium recipe:
1 part Stand Oil
1 part Gamsol
2 parts Refined Linseed Oil
but recently I saw a Richard Robinson video where he used straight Walnut Oil .... but he was using Walnut Oil based paint.
I like the idea of "no mixing" but wanted to make sure that I could use a Walnut Oil medium with my Linseed Oil based paint.
Thanks