WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 PM

Question Need Opaque Acrylic Paint Recommendation

Hi, everyone! I am wanting to do some decorative/folkart style painting on boxes and tin items, etc. I like to make my backgrounds dark (black, dark blue, etc). I'm wondering if it is going to be absolutely necessary for me to undercoat in white to get colors to show up vibrantly on the dark backgrounds (especially reds & yellows), or if anyone knows of some very opaque paint that I can use straight away without undercoating?? Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!
Save
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Re: Need Opaque Acrylic Paint Recommendation

The short answer is, "No." In fact, starting with a light colored undercoat is often a waste of time and material when a dark and opaque background is planned.

Most surfaces used in tole and other decorative painting (wood, tin, other metals, etc.) do require some sort of primer, so consider using a primer that can serve as the background.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Re: Need Opaque Acrylic Paint Recommendation

Mike L - Thank you for your help! I apologize for taking so long to reply. My attention span & memory are not the best.

I will definitely be using a good primer, but I'm still curious as to what sort of paint I should use. Most acrylic paint (even the best brands) seem to have pretty transparent reds and yellows (especially). Perhaps I just need more coats?

I got the idea for a white undercoat from the Russian style of folk art called "Zhostovo" (which is my absolute favorite). Of course, it was originally done in oils, not acrylic. However, many modern painters are now using acrylic and most of them still use the white undercoat. That said, I'd love to NOT have to spend the extra time that would take, if at all possible.

Thanks again, Mike!