Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design landscape edits – feedback please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    artelahe

Hi, saw a landscape challenge and did this painting this Rural Countryside. Loved it in the thumbnail but think it could improve with some significant cropping. I will provide the crops following the whole painting
        [ATTACH]856205[/ATTACH].

[ATTACH]856206[/ATTACH]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[ATTACH]856208[/ATTACH]

Although this is my first cloud and I’m proud of it, I think the focus on the crops works the best of the three.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        AlyP
        I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

It’s really a sky painting, so I prefer the last one.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

artelahe

Thank you for the feedback, Yorky. Whilenive been posting these, and while I do lean toward a preference for.panoramic style paintings, I think you are right. It is a sky painting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            AlyP
            I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

La_

i like the original
                but also like this option …

la

virgil carter

So…what is your story in this painting? What’s your intent? Not everything in a painting can be of equal importance. Something must be the “star”, and everything else falls into a secondary, supportive role.

The more your composition is a 50%-50% ratio, the less clear it is as to what you consider truly important. That’s because you really have two paintings in one here.

Sling paint,
                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                    Virgil Carter
                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

artelahe

You are right Virgil. My 2 edits broke it into either a sky or field painting. I was excited about the linear perspective in the corn rows, the rich color, and then found myself lost in the pleasure of seeing the cloud come into being. I gave art birth to fraternal conjoined twins.

Thank you for pointing that out. It is best to keep.story and focal point in mind. My thumbnails had it. My cloud stole it. And I lost it.

Something to learn from hopefully.

La, thank you :)

AlyP

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

virgil carter

I understand your design search. I’ve been there. When it comes to these subjects, I’ve come to the conclusion that a portrait orientation may be stronger. That’s because the rule of thirds becomes much stronger and it’s becomes much clearer if the sky or the ground plane is the important story.

Here’s an example painting of mine, where the sky is the story:

Isn’t watercolor painting wonderful? Always more to explore and learn!

Sling paint,
                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                            Virgil Carter
                            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

artelahe

Thanks, Virgil. Great sky!

AlyP

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.