Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Pastel Portrait

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dimitri K

Hi everyone! It’s been a couple of years at least since my last post.
        Here’s my latest portrait. It was exhibited at the Art Athina art fair last September!
        “Cinema Girl” 75×75 soft pastels

Humburger

Wow! Very nifty. I like it a lot.

Ginny
            www.virginiacmccoy.com
            C & C Welcome

Dimitri K

Thanx Ginny!
                The hair is sort of like a maze and I also embedded a star/flower shape on there. Lets see if anyone can spot it!

Wassie

Interesting. I would like to know more about your process. Do you draw the portrait first and then add the design? How do you do this?

maryinasia

beautiful!

Dimitri K

Interesting. I would like to know more about your process. Do you draw the portrait first and then add the design? How do you do this?

Thanks Wassie!
                            I make a rough drawing of the subject first. Then I start roughly drawing in the more important patterns that might communicate something. Then I start rendering with the colour bits being careful to work a little bit at a time on the entire surface. Those bits make patterns that interact from all over the painting, so constantly working the entire surface is a must. I would characterize it as half designed (thought out) and half done with intuition (feeling). Comes out like an organized chaos I guess. I more or less live that way :p So it feels right.

I have some of my better paintings here if you want to take a look:
                            https://www.behance.net/gallery/3028949/Pastel-Paintings

Humburger

It looks like a faint flower shape is so large that it covers the whole thing.

Ginny
                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                C & C Welcome

Dimitri K

Yes Ginny! The patterns roughly conform to that large five point flower! Thanks for noticing!

GibbyDoodle

I really like the way you’ve designed this. It’s beautiful and very unique.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.