Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Fan for oil painting?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dakida

I’m still new to oil painting and had recently bought a fan for ventilation. I was setting up and saw it said not for use with flammable vapors which would be the gamsol im using. Do I need a specific fan that is explosion proof as they seem extremely expensive?

contumacious

For peace of mind I would suggest that you call Gamblin and ask them if a regular fan would be OK.

Gamsol vapor is not a very flammable material. You can’t even get it to light with some sitting in an open cup with a match a half an inch away from it. It is difficult to get it to burn even with a propane torch pointed right at it until you heat it up enough to start to boil. I put my regular fan so it is resting on the window sill pointing out the open window when I need the ventilation. I have been doing that for decades, no explosions.

If you were filling the room with gasoline, propane or lacquer thinner vapors, then you should get a spark proof fan and an organic vapor mask as well!

Dakida

Thank you I wasn’t too worried just making sure since I saw on the fan that it said not for use with flammable vapors.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.