Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SM59

I am working on this puppy portrait. Finding it to be a challenge for my first attempt at painting fur. I know I need a few more layers, but I think I’m on the right track. My black is very flat, any suggestions? I didn’t really mix it with blue or any other color, could that be the issue? I don’t know why the photo rotated. Sorry.

Thanks

Source photo below.

TheDabbler

So far, you are off to a cracking good start. I like how you’ve chosen not to emphasized the paws or the forelimbs, allowing them to support the main subject. They convey the position well and the straightness of the limbs helps to counteract all the crazy fur the wildly wonderfully scraggly pup. Good choice I think.

As far as the lighting on the dark fur, I notice the light coming from the upper front left in the photo. This will allow for your choice of coloring on the fur – black fur can have almost any secondary color depending upon the color of light and the color of light being reflected into it. You could decide to go with the traditional blue blacks, but perhaps think about some red blacks and brown blacks. There are shadows to be sure around the legs and between the legs, and I am looking forward to seeing how you choose to handle these areas.

One of my favorite dog painters is Sir Edwin Landseer – he had a version of the Newfoundland dog named after him. I looked through his work and found some breeds of dogs he painted sort of resembled the one you are painting. There are ideas in his work on how to handle the dark colored fur perhaps would interest you. He has many longer haired breeds some with the unruly coats in an indoor setting which you might think apply and could develop on your painting.

I think you are definitely headed in the right direction and I look forward to seeing this one completed.

SM59

Thanks for the advice on the blacks. I think I might look at the reds with the blacks since his fur is more of a warmer tone. The photo is a bit dark. I’ll check out the painter you mentioned as well.

~JMW~

The nose jumps out as a bit hard edged & flat.
                    It looks that way in the ref a bit, but i think a slight softening of the edges would make a better painting.. To keep it from being the eye grabber area..

~Joy~

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.