WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Hails from United States
Re: The Goalpost July 2014

Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Jim.
Mother Nature has interfered with me....big time. Bad storm last Wed. with a lightening strike very near. Fried one TV, my cable modem, router and my phones. I have internet (but not wifi...yet) and today my phone service is back (but no voicemail). Had to cancel my watercolor class as I was waiting to hear from the cable people and canceled last week's pastel class because of a medical test. Goals going not so good this month.
Glad to hear you're back painting, Robert.
Judi, hooray for the improvement! Greens can be difficult. Richard McKinley has a blogpost about greens and violets and oranges. (I'm on a waiting list for his workshop in Sept, about 30 miles away from my home)

and we all shine on
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Well done on finishing your spotlight Robert. That is really good, you have a very colourful picture. It all matches so well .
jim
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Judi, you should post it on the Spotlight! I would love to see it, that sounds like it's lovely if it's got lots of green and some water. My favorite kind of landscape! Sounds like you're improving in that class, somewhere between best and worst is where most artists are in a group. Certainly where I am most of the time.

Or if not in the Spotlight, post it on Studio & Gallery. Ask for critique if you're not happy with it. I even broke my habit today of "carry critique forward to the next one" and reworked my fruits still life. Fortunately the fruit I ate didn't need the reworking, only the shadows did. The nectarine and one of the bananas are but a pleasant memory except for the art.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thanks, Jim! So glad you like my landscape. Got one more leetle change and itís done.

Peg, yikes, thatís nasty with all those electronics frying out. Life happens. I didnít make most of my goals either.

No blog, Daily art technically because sick days didnít count, but less than half the days in the month. I should add it up really. Plein air might happen tomorrow, but I didnít get to either of the class exercises in Still LIfe the Colourful Way that I wanted. Sidetracked by Spotlight.

Still, I got more done than before so Iím happy about that! And the month isnít over, quite. Wednesday is still within July so I might get a plein air in. Does ďfruit drawn from life indoorsĒ count? Maybe half a point, itís life drawing anyway!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Hails from United States

Robert, great job on the spotlight. Interested to see if the bluing of the distant trees is the answer to the end of the road.

and we all shine on
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdusty
Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Jim.

Thanks for the commiserations Peg.

Quote:
Mother Nature has interfered with me....big time. Bad storm last Wed. with a lightening strike very near. Fried one TV, my cable modem, router and my phones. I have internet (but not wifi...yet) and today my phone service is back (but no voicemail). Had to cancel my watercolor class as I was waiting to hear from the cable people and canceled last week's pastel class because of a medical test. Goals going not so good this month.

Sorry to hear about all that Peg. I always shut everything off and unplug at the wall when we realise a storm is coming. We do see them coming and see the flashes of lightening way south of us. We had neighbours that lost their modem year after year because of it. And you had to miss an art class because of it as well. Mind you we may have just been lucky.....don't speak too soon...
It is still too hot here to do much. Im goofing off on the 'pooter and SWMBO is scrabbling away on her ipad downstairs.

Robert, I'll have a look around to see your latest.
jim
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
A.C.T

Hails from Australia

Thanks Judi

Jim maybe you have my problem. A friend of mine swears I have some kind of weird magnetic field that kills all electrical things nearby. I walk into the room and his computer would just shut down.

Well done Robert on finishing your piece! I think that's the best part, sitting back and taking in the finished work. Just need to finish this lion I'm working on. I have so much on at the moment its taking forever and I just want to get it done.

Wow Peg that must have been quite the storm!
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

LOL Janet...I have a similar problem in that I 'break' watches every time I try to wear one, and have make a light flash on by touching with my hand when walking with slippers. Too much electricity, for sure!

Peg...Really sorry to hear of your electrical-storm problems! We had 3 terrific
storms pass through yesterday...lots of flooding on the roads coming back from my class, but fortunately no electrical problems in you area....

Robert, I need to work on my landscape a bit more, but may try to post it in the studio, if I can figure out how to do it with the new computer and printer I have.....haven't been able to figure it out yet....it's quite different from my old setup...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Janet, Jim, Peg... yeah, I've been lucky since I moved. There are no storms as such in San Francisco. When it rains it's sort of lazy and undramatic. Gets windy sometimes but that doesn't jack with electronics or start fires.

My only problem with electronics is beating laptops to death by excessive typing, literally wearing out all the moving parts.

Yay Judi, can't wait to see it. I hope you do find a way to get a good photo or scan and upload it. There should be a way to upload from your computer, whether mac or pc.

No art yet today but a Huge Artish Thing that wasn't on the list. Cleaning and Sorting supplies, books and assorted pads and sketchbooks. I had this pile of books, sketchbooks, pastel pads and supplies stacking up and up till it was about elbow height next to me. I've got a stack of plastic tubs with the top one a sort of one-drawer unit next to me to put coffee on and that kept sliding farther away from the lamp as I jammed more books and sketchbooks and pads between them. About a year's accumulation of Drop Spot... and today with my home care guy, we went through the Whole Stack sorting into trash, books/magazines, sketchbooks/journals, pads, pastels, other supplies and other stuff. Broke down and put away everything in that stack. Which means that with the walker parked in front of the stack of tubs, there's now a huge chunk of floor space and the walker's close enough to put my pastels on while painting.

Until today I was mostly putting whatever pastels were in use on top of that stack hoping it wouldn't all fall down. Which it did occasionally.

So now it'll be a lot easier to paint and there's more floor space making it easier to get around the room.

I've had visits from building inspectors and a representative of the company who's buying the building. Happily I fall under rent control so this should not disrupt my life. But they all kept coming in and looking around like this was some sort of weird zoo exhibit. Wow there's a lot of stuff, but, it's all organized, but, this guy's disabled and poor, but, it's all clean, wait a minute that's really good art on the walls, but he's poor and disabled, huh whaaa? I could see the confusion throughout the visits like they didn't know whether to look down on me or not. It was really funny in one way and sad in another.

I used to get that look all the time in years past too, it was worse before I got the Kindle. They'd see all the books and just go bonkers, it was inconceivable anyone had that many books, would ask if I'd read them all, that sort of thing. I just break stereotypes even if I am one. It's San Francisco, isn't that where scruffy old hippie artists live?

#100   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Hails from United States

Robert, I love breaking stereotypes. Like my music choices. Had an auto service guy get in my car and when I started it up, he was amazed at the CD I had playing...kept saying "this is your daughter's music, right?"
I've never had a problem with storms and my electronics; have everything plugged into surge protectors. Was really strange what was affected and what was not and none of my neighbors had any problem at all.

and we all shine on
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh, that is always fun! Yep. Great story about the music. I've done that too, though for me it's that my daughter did introduce me to a lot of good music and still does. She'll play things I never heard and I'll grow to like them and there it happens.

Yeah, I use surge protectors too. It varies with how the lightning interacts with your power and whether it's just a surge or really goes through your system. Phones on land lines are subject to it too.

Yesterday was artish - sort and clean my supplies that were at my elbow. The most used ones are still in reach and handy, but no longer creating what was nearly a virtual bookcase as the pile grew and grew. Today, I'm going out at noon thirty to get my shot at the clinic. I rescheduled my return ride for an hour later so that I can go in the garden and paint with pastels. I'm going to pack along pastels supplies too, maybe even grab the pack of sanded paper and do something cool on sanded paper. I've got an hour and I did pack good pastels in the backpack.

Terrages of course are going with, but I've also got a few Senneliers and a dozen Winsor Newton half sticks. Though if I use the Terrages, I don't need the sanded paper, might leave that home.

#102   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Did my plein air but have to finish at home from the photo, van came early. Too tired to photo and post, so will see you tomorrow! Hope everyone's arting and enjoying end of month!

I guess it counts getting out to do it, plein airs don't have to come out GOOD, just be done outside!

#103   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 AM

It must be nice to still enjoy your music Peg, I find today's stuff too much for my ears LOL.

Robert you was 'artish'? Tidying and arranging the arty area pays dividends when it comes to be used. Everything is where you expect it to be. Well so was I, I was reading, talking and thinking about it all day . Did nothing though .

It is early morning here and I have been reading the mail since 05:30. It was uncomfortably hot in the bed even with the overhead fan going, so got out and had a read of the overnight accumulated mail/forums.
Later I must clear the art st......dining room as son DIL and boys are coming over on Saturday, before their holls on Saturday the 9th.
It is the 31st today the last of this month. The time has flown by. I might squeeze in some more time on the pastel box today. Perhaps I'll put up the 'redrawn' portrait of the last model as well.
Jim
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Well, here it is the end of the month already....can't believe how fast the time goes these days... But I Did do a lot of art stuff this month...the class has been very inspiring so far, and has got me doing more 'practice' stuff. Nothing to show yet, though....maybe next month....

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM

It's also the end of the month here JudiB. Yes it has gone quick and I haven't done as much as I intended.
Robert has done better than he thought I believe haven't you Robert? Well you did some fruit, a spotlight of a road which went well and a couple of tutorials in your journals.
A lot more than me.
Peg has had the gremlins in the electrics.
Janet was engrossed in a lion so I hope we get a url when that goes up.
I am being hauled off to the supermarket in a minute to avoid Friday weekenders, this afternoon's mums with after school kids in tow and before the workers finish work. SWMBO avoids crowds especially with her broken toe sticking out in front of her power chair. She reminded me it has been 12 weeks since it was broken and it is still swollen.
So no more on the box this month, and nobody wants to swap dvds on swapshop.
Ah well roll on next month....
jim