Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges August chat + challenge thread for op’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

This month’s challenge is

The challenge is to depict movement in any circumstance as convincing as you can.
    Questions, wips, comments are all welcome.
    We are looking forward to seeing your work.
    Have fun!

Christel

My 1st motion in a small scale.A4 from pixabay reference

Christel

Hopskidee

That is cool Christel. Water droplets and ripples are some of the more challenging subjects to paint for me. I especially like the center part and your choice of colors there.

Here is mine – blown hair with a touch of fantasy too. A4 150gsm sketch paper

Thanks Hopskidee! Love your fantasy portrait! It would be cool to have such lovely hair irl.

Christel

What a lovely painting of water in motion, Christel!

Hopskidee I really love how fantastical your painting is–like a medieval summer solsctice celebrant :)

Already have 3 ideas for this challenge. Hopefully I’ll have some time to make them!

"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time." -Georgia O'Keeffe
        MaryFlora

Motion…a challenge without a doubt! Thank you! I think..:wink2:

Christel your water drops and ripples have such pretty reflections and the yellow and blue are great. Has a meditative feel.

Hopskidee you have so many interesting details in your lady portrait….she seems to be walking through nature gathering beauty! Love her hair!

Thanks for sharing!

Mary Flora

Thanks Mary and Heart!
            On a more personal scale – I kind of squashed in the figures and decided a mounting would alleviate the problem:lol:

Christel

Hopskidee

Thank you very much, Christel, Heartwarriorpath, and Mary Flora! Appreciate your comments and I love your description of the hair, environment etc of the painting :)

Christel, very nice figures in motion! I especially like how you did the runner in green.

Looking forward to seeing more in this challenge :)

Thanks Hopskidee!

Christel

ullahennig

Great paintings so far – love the motion of the water, Christel, and the movement of the hair. The runners look great!
                    Here’s my contribution:

Title: Movement. Various brands of oilpastels on cardboard.

Ulla
                    --------------------
                    http://art-and-experiments.blogspot.de/

Thanks Ulla! Lovely flowing motion in your painting.

Christel

terriks

So much cool stuff already! I’m still waiting for some inspiration, and hoping for a slower month than July was.

Christel – beautiful colors and motion in your water droplets – love it! Mounting your runners was the perfect solution to your somewhat crowded painting area – I don’t think I’d have noticed unless you pointed it out. Nice work with these figures, too. They look terrific!

Hopskidee – this lovely lady has the look of a muse, she is enchanting! Your background detail is just wonderful here. Beautiful flowing hair really gives movement to your painting. Lovely work!

Ulla, your swirls and lines have a beautiful sense of motion here. Loving your bright colors, too. Great job!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Hopskidee

Thank you so much, Terri! :) :)

It gives me great joy to see/hear how this painting is interpreted by all who have seen it in various ways – thanks everyone! :heart:

I forgot to say this was my first go at Mungyo Gallery OPs. (Hair amd background 100% mungyos, skin I used mungyos + holbeins) Mungyos are everything you guys said they would be. I liked working with it a lot! Definitely great value for money!

Ulla thanks, nice swirls of warms with blue. I like the dark background contrast too! Is that done on a regular cardboard? I have never used cardboard for OPs and I must say I am interested to try one of these days.

rbhatt

Christel- The water drops and wave ripples are done so well. I love it. And runners are so realistic too. Your details in their jerseys are commendable.

Hopskidee- Your fantasy lady portrait is such a lovely painting. Liked the details in the hair and your choice of palette for skin tones. Well done.

Ulla- Your swirls are very bold and vibrant, and create the sense of motion.

Raj

R-B
                                Williamsburg, VA
                                My Instagram Page

rbhatt

Here is my entry for the motion challenge. An oil pastel sketch of my two boys playing soccer in the field near our house.

I used CrayPas and Mungyo (on top) OPs along with colored pencils for the sharp edges. The size is approx. 8×10 inches.

Raj

R-B
                                    Williamsburg, VA
                                    My Instagram Page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.