Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Collagraph (or Collograph) printing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

I have done a few, but only using an etching press. Since I no longer have access to one, I was wondering if a basic flat press (powered by a 4t hydraulic jack) would suffice to get a clean print?

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
        - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

blackandwhite

It depends on the plate feature depth, paper, blankets, press plate flatness and everything that how big plates you can print. My gut feeling says that 4 ton press should be fine for palm sized collagraph plates and maybe bigger, but I havent done much testing so I cannot say any specific tips. In the distant history I did lot of sheet metal forming and other stuff with small 10 ton press and I can remember that with the correct tools those small presses can do lot of work. Hard or semi-hard rubber/silicone blanket could work well in such setup, but there is risk that it will tear the paper if there are deep 3D textures on the plate.

Andrew

I am looking at relatively small plates, 6 x 9 to 11 x 14 inches (give or take). This part of the project is a few weeks down the road, so I am still looking at felt or rubberized blankets a few DIY press designs.

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
                - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.