Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges Oil pastel challenge and chat for April 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

The subject for this month’s challenge is surrealism or super realism. Thanks to Terri for her suggestion.Here is a very detailed explanation of the movement called surrealism in wikipedia.
    As far as I can understand iit, it is a combination of elements juxtaposed in such a way that it is very improbable and far fetched:) Another expression I like to use for it is fantasy. Have a look at the October thread
    Here are some examples I’ve picked from pixabay

Christel

Of course you are more than welcome to post your own incredulous combination of your choice:lol:

Looking forward to seeing your artwork!

Christel

Mira

Ohhh, so inspiring pictures!!! :heart: looks like I enjoy surrealism :lol:
        Thanks, Christel, for this lovely selection! I’ll choose one from yours or (and? :)) maybe look for something myself. I already have a “schedule” for the paintings I need to do but I can’t miss this – it looks SO cool! :wink:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

Fun stuff, Christel! Thanks for the link to the detailed explanation on Surrealism. It sure does lead to some amazing work – I usually think first of Dali, but that’s hardly fair. I had no idea it had been around so long!

Your eagle chasing the beachgoers makes me laugh. I will have a go at something here…decisions, decisions! :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Nice one Christel!! Looks like the eagle bypassed the dog and is going for the girl!

Thanks Terri , Mira and Rich! Actually it started off with the eagle and the girl and I added the dog as an afterthought to form a triangle.:lol:

Christel

SarahY

Haha! I love it, tuscanny!

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                    \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                    Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Glad you love it, Sarah. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Christel

laika

That gigantic eagle looks like he means business, Christel!

I’ll have to rummage through my dreams for something suitably surreal. Last April would have been a cinch, as I was hallucinating 24/7 for a while there due to the nature of that stroke :eek:

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                        - Otto Rank

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Lamar!

Christel

A different palette making her look a little ghostly? A4

Christel

terriks

Ooo, she does indeed look a bit ghostly here, Christel. I like it! Beautiful sky, too. It’s always fun to see everyone’s interpretations of these surreal images.

I haven’t started on anything yet. The only thing I’ve been painting lately is a room! :lol:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Thanks Terri!

Christel

Jennie

I do a lot of digital surrealism, have ventured into OPs and surrealism but usually with less complex subjects. With such a great selection, I’ll be starting straight away.

Jennie
                                "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                                @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

Looking forward to your work, Jennie!

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.