Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges January oil pastel challenge and chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Mira

Happy New Year, friends oil pastelists! :cat:

Welcome to the first challenge of 2019!
        I’m hosting this challenge and this time we’ll enter the old towns of Europe.

Several years ago my husband and me went abroad for a short trip during New Year holidays which are 8 days long in Russia. So a number of people take advantage of this winter vacation and go travelling.

First time we went to Prague (Czech Republic), the second one was a short cruise with stops in Helsinki (Finland), Stockholm (Sweden) and Tallinn (Estonia).
        They were very beautiful! Helsinki was the least impressive actually, but it’s not very old.

(Not important but interesting :)
        The cool thing was that Christmas atmosphere was still in the air despite it being the beginning of January. European Christmas is charming to us because Christmas is not very big in Russia and is considered more like a religious holiday.
        New Year took over as the main holiday of the year during the USSR regime because the communists tried to exclude everything with religious context. Btw, Russians have always celebrated Christmas on the 7th of January because of a different type of calendar used.)

The below photos are all mine except for a few with the authors’ credit. Feel free to use them for this January challenge.
        Please, indicate what support and size you’re using and share WIP photos and explanations if you like :)
        You can crop, resize and change the images following your inspiration.

Hope to see your works and let’s start this year with oil pastels! :)

First come Prague photos.

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Mira

These ones are Stockholm:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Mira

Tallinn photos. A very charming old town reminding me of Prague (they two are actually about the same age, at least when it comes to th architecture):

This one is a photo from Germany, I got it from Pixabay:

Mira

Maybe that was way too many photos… but I was just trying to get everyone involved :angel:

Fantastic selection! I sent you pm.

Christel

laika

I am easily overwhelmed by the complexity of cityscapes, but I do see one or two that I might attempt. Thanks for hosting, Mira88! These are really beautiful.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                        - Otto Rank

Rich A

Happy New Year!!!

Wow, great photos. Makes me want to pack up my bags and roam around and get lost. Wonderful city, building practice too. Thanks for hosting Mira!

terriks

Happy New Year, all! :)

Wow, lots of impressive cityscapes here. Great job, Mira! Thanks for hosting this month’s challenge for us.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Mira

Thank you, Christel, Lamar, Terri and Rich! :) I am looking forward to seeing what you’ll choose out of these pictures ;)

I am easily overwhelmed by the complexity of cityscapes, but I do see one or two that I might attempt.

Me too :lol: I have never tried a cityscape, not yet, but I will give it a shot :)

Wow, great photos. Makes me want to pack up my bags and roam around and get lost. Wonderful city, building practice too. Thanks for hosting Mira!

When I look at my own pictures, it makes me nostalgic and I also feel like go travelling… These cities really got great architecture. And out of these three cities, Prague is the cheapest to go, by the way. It used to be one of the cheapest yet one of the most beautiful options 4 years ago, I believe it is still relatively modest-priced. So you can go ;) a 8-10 days trip with stops at like 4-5 interesting cities in Europe can be the plan :thumbsup:

Yay! I’ve started mine! I’m sure glad I’ve had some practice in the miniature forum:lol: :wave:

Christel

Mira

Yay! I’ve started mine! I’m sure glad I’ve had some practice in the miniature forum:lol: :wave:

:clap: great, great! Curious to see which one you have chosen. I haven’t picked up one yet… :clear:
                                        I bought a canvas board and plan to use it for the challenge.
                                        But first I need to finish the two paintings I started in December… :rolleyes:
                                        One of them is actually for December challenge :lol:

A4. My biggest challenge was to get an even sky:angel: i did use pencil for shading and fine detail. The trees are with brown op, black marker and pencil.

Not a photo replica as I intentionally tried to bring in a little more chroma.

Christel

terriks

Lovely work, Christel! I like your decision to slightly alter the foreground so the trees can spread out more in front of the buildings. Nicely done!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Thanks Terri!

Christel

Mira

Christel, it turned out very pretty, like a postcard! Reminds me of the fridge magnets we brought from Estonia, the buildings are painted in a similar style ;)
                                                I like how you changed the chroma because I wasn’t fond of the original one on the photo – it was a bit boring, maybe because of the trees in the foreground which just looked like a messy forest :lol: but your trees do look great, they stand out and make a nice part of the picture :thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.