Home Forums Explore Media Woodcraft Beginner wood burning kit?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AGArt

I want to buy my son a pyrography set for his birthday. He works with wood, and his day job is as a history interpreter/storyteller as an 1800s woodworker and cabinet maker. He demonstrates simple tools and skills such as whittling, turning, etc., and also makes basic wooden crafts and toys that are sold in the historical site’s giftshop. He has started on wood carving, and now a rudimentary form of wood burning. He enjoys that part a lot and I want to get him a kit he can use at home for practice to improve his skill. I used to love to do woodburning as a teenager many, many years ago, and I think it would fit well with his creativity and interests.

Right now, I am looking a kit on Amazon that is a TRUArt wood and leather pyrography pen with 21 tips. I’m open to recommendations if you have one. This is just something to get him started and allow him to practice and do simple pieces. If he stays interested and wants to keep up with it, I’ll investigate more expensive, more professional tools for him. This is what I’m looking at, if you can offer opinions or something better: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01945KAOC/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

~April

That looks like a nice kit – plenty of tips to accomplish most anything. Looks like a good kit to get going with.

AGArt

Thanks for your input, Ken. I’m going to put in the order in a couple of days to make sure he gets it on time for his birthday.

~April

AGArt

That looks like a nice kit – plenty of tips to accomplish most anything. Looks like a good kit to get going with.

Thanks again for your advice. I did buy the kit, and he made these for Christmas gifts. He gave the bird to my mom and the owl to my husband and me. I think he did a good job for a newbie.

~April

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.