Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Yellow pigment with brown masstone?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Googlies

Hi, looking for a pigment that’s brown/earth when it’s thick that thins out to yellow. Does such a thing exist?

Edit: As luck would have it, I just found this after I posted, Nickel Azo Yellow: https://www.justpaint.org/williamsburg-welcomes-7-new-colors/

Gigalot

Transparent yellow iron oxide is also useful.

Pinguino

As Williamsburg notes, Nickel Azo Yellow is chemically related to PY128 (Green Gold), and has a similar difficult-to-pin-down color change from masstone to tint or glaze. So although this may be the color you seek, you may find that it requires some practice to get the desired effects.

Yellow Ochre, and the related Transparent version, are brownish-yellow in masstone, becoming more noticeably yellow in tint and especially in very thin glaze. This is more noticeable with the Transparent version. But I don’t think that the masstone is as dark brown as you want.

Pinguino

Correction: Above, should be PY129, not PY128.

Patrick1

Those Williamsburg Nickel Azo Yellow and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide are stunning – I don’t know of those colors having such dark brown masstone in any brand of acrylic. Quinacridone Gold is another but its undertone is more orangish-yellow.

Those Williamsburg Nickel Azo Yellow and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide are stunning – I don’t know of those colors having such dark brown masstone in any brand of acrylic. Quinacridone Gold is another but its undertone is more orangish-yellow.

Probably because of the smaller pigment load in acrylics. It is handy.. but not exaclty necessary to have a same color that behaves in such a varied way :P

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Mythrill

Those Williamsburg Nickel Azo Yellow and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide are stunning – I don’t know of those colors having such dark brown masstone in any brand of acrylic.

They do, but the masstone is not as dark and the undetone is cleaner and brighter than in oils.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.