Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, July 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, interiors, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life.

This month we’re repeating the very successful theme we’ve used recently: an optional “daily painting” challenge! Or, if you like, an “almost daily painting” or a “weekly painting” challenge. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting one or more paintings this month!

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Grotius

I did this collage of the thirty paintings I did in June. The final painting actually took 3 days, but on several days I did more than one painting, so I probably did at least 30 paintings all told. Some are better than others, but I like most of these a lot. Some standouts include the Jefferson Memorial, the Great Falls picture, the roses, the yacht, and Voltaire.

- Geoff.

Grotius

And I’ll kick things off for July! Today I started painting a giant red crane, but it kept changing positions, perhaps because it was being blown around in today’s high winds.

After an hour I gave up, wiped out the painting, and did a quick sketch of diners across the street at Olazzo, an Italian cafe and restaurant on Norfolk Avenue in Bethesda. I had only about half an hour, as the diners finished their meal and left. If I’d had more energy, I would have found substitute models, but by this point I was tired and called it a day. “Sketch of Diners at Olazzo’s,” study, oil on panel, 8″ x 10.”

- Geoff.

Anonymous

nice sketchy diners Geoff!

I was feeling well enough today to go out for a hour or so and get something started, I went to the park nearby and started this one on a 12×16 Centurion Oil Primed linen stretched canvas, using my 1/2 box french easel.
                    This is just the start, maybe 1/2 done so far.

here was my setup, I blew out the sunlit part so you could see some of the setup which is in the dark shade.

Grotius

Sid, that’s a real promising start! Honestly, you could sign that as is and declare victory. :) Really nice, smooth, gradated sky, and good greens.

I love those Centurion oil-primed stretched linen canvases. Funny that I never realized Centurion also makes linen panels. I did just buy myself a pad of 10 Centurion swaths of linen that I’m going to glue to Masonite, but after that I’m going to try the linen panels.

Anyway, glad to see you out there painting! The last couple days have been pretty nice around here — warm but paintable.

- Geoff.

moscatel

Grotius, Wohoo!! your last month´s painting “At the easel” is a winner!

Good collection of 30 paintings.

Sid, beautiful scene and greens. Glad you are back to painting.

I have more statues, landscapes, water practices and elfs to show but laptop is causing trouble. It has promised lot of rain so maybe I paint less those days and post more ..

I did just buy myself a pad of 10 Centurion swaths of linen that I’m going to glue to Masonite

Grotius, what clue are you using? Will need to clue oil primed Belgian linen to some kind of boards – don´t know yet what kind to use – but not sure what kind of clue to use. Need the boards end of Sept. so have time. You mention masonite, How thick are those boards? I´m looking for light weigh.

Ah, Italian Cafe .. good job on that one.:thumbsup:

Grotius

Moscatel, thanks for your comments. I’m not sure what glue to use! I have some GAC-100 and some Acrylic Matte Medium. I’ve read they both work. But I’m open to suggestions.

Masonite is a brand name for a hardboard, also called a medium-density fiberboard (MDF), I think? It’s a lightweight board about 3/8-inch thick. It feels roughly like the Ampersand Gessobord or Jack Richeson panels.

Actually, I may instead try gluing to some aluminum boards I have. AlumaComp panels, they’re called. Not sure if it will work, lol. Maybe i’ll try tonight and report back.

- Geoff.

Everyone, I apologize in advance for being very brief on commenting this month, but I am looking at and reading everything. Got some eye stuff going on so reading and typing is slow at the moment. Happy painting, I might or might not join, will see how I’m adjusting for a bit.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Anonymous

I got the urge to do some more on this and went back out this evening for another session, I think one more and I can finalize it.
                                    This will be stage 2

I am planning on putting myself into this one near the end. Painting the same scene both in morn and eve is tricky, but can be done.

Jessica no problem, take care and do what you need to do.
                                    thanks a lot mosc and Geoff, the Centurion linen panels I have are acrylic primed, but the Centurion linen stretched canvases I have are oil primed. They make both types, oil or acrylic in panels or stretched.

That’s real nice Sid!!
                                    Geoff your collage looks fabulous!

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Grotius

Jessica, take care of yourself! I hope you’ll be back at the easel soon.

Sid, marvelous progress. How do you plan to put yourself into the painting? Please tell me, because that’s exactly what I was trying to figure out when I posted my self-portrait at the easel. How does one situate oneself in nature? Will you bring a mirror to your last session?

July daily painting #2: I drove around in my MX-5 Miata looking for a good spot to paint, and after failing to find anything, it occurred to me that the Miata itself might be a good subject. It’s 29 years old but stlil cute. So I parked it and got out the paints! Especially those reds. :) “Miata,” oil on panel, 8″ x 10.”

- Geoff.

moscatel

Stapeliad, take care! :grouphug::heart:
                                            Sid, excellent!
                                            Grotius, you were painting reds too .. another beauty.

If you carry a mirror out to paint yourself to the painting, it needs to be a big size mirror, I imagine :lol:?

I´m interested to hear about aluminium support but I need to take boards to the aeroplane and doubt I can take aluminium there so need to find something ultra light. I need about 20 boards or little less, the rest I can paint to canvas only (attached with masking tape to any temporary support.) I mentioned the clues because till now I think I´ve been using too strong clues. I was visiting a museum and they were doing restoration of old plein airs. They mentioned that if the canvases, the old plein airs were actually painted on paper, were attached with strong clue, they would be now impossible to detach from thdeir boards and fix but since clue is a type of clue that is easy to remove they were able to save the painting.

“Elf”, 25×35 cm, oil on re-used canvas. This plein air was the 3rd one from yesterday´s plein airs.

Grotius

Great likeness of that little guy, Moscatel! Very fun painting. I’m glad you were able to post it!

Yes, some glue is supposedly “reversible,” allowing a future archivist to remove the canvas/linen/paper from the support. According to this article, for example…

For mounting, I use untempered hardboard (sealed with PVA to prevent migration of acids and other chemicals up into the paper) and Lineco Neutral pH Adhesive. (The adhesive is reversible with water; another option is BEVA film, which is reversible with heat. See end of the article for details.)

https://blog.oilpaintersofamerica.com/2015/09/mounting-finished-paintings-on-paper-or-canvas-to-board/

You can find videos on BEVA film, but the process seems complex to me, as you have to use a heat source (an iron or a hot-press machine). Something like Lineco Neutral pH adhesive may be what you need?

Also, where are you traveling to with all those panels? I’m all nervous about taking 4 panels on a train to NYC, and here you are traveling with 20!

- Geoff.

Anonymous

thanks stapes, mosc, and Geoff.
                                                    very nice gnome and Miata Mosc and Geoff.

Geoff, the scene I am painting is like the entrance to a pond and river next to it where I have fished since I was young. So I plan to just put in a kind of a generic type of figure similar to myself, on his way to fish with a pole in hand.

moscatel

Thanks Sid & Grotius. Grotius, thanks for the link. I have to figure out what is available here, some can be only pieces of canvas but some need to be attached to boards. Will be interior flight in Europe.

An other statue I painted the other day. Size is about 24×30 cm, oil on board

the beginning of the painting. I can´t find other progress pictures. Maybe I didn´t take any because I was fighting against hot morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.