Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air On the Cheap

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    saramart

I’m excited to go to the lake this summer and paint. However, I’m not in a place where I can buy a fancy set up (even $100 is too much right now). Can I see your “on the cheap” plein air setups? I will either use oils or acrylics, depending on how I feel that day.

(If there’s already a thread for this – can someone point me in the right direction?)

Thanks! :)

contumacious

I made my own. If you already have a tripod it won’t take much time or money to fabricate a pretty nice setup.

This thread on WC has some good images to show you how to build the mast. A palette shelf can be simple or fancy. Mine is similar to the one in the second link below.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320431&highlight=tripod

http://www.thomaskitts.com/2014/09/building-plein-air-shelf.html

iamdaie

a small d.i.y pochade box is cool…

maryinasia

I paint with acrylics while sitting down with the canvas or watercolor pad on my lap. My lap is very portable.

I carry everything in a tote bag…the paints in a ziplock bag. I use a disposable plastic container for a palette.

iamdaie

I paint with acrylics while sitting down with the canvas or watercolor pad on my lap. My lap is very portable.

I carry everything in a tote bag…the paints in a ziplock bag. I use a disposable plastic container for a palette.

where can I buy your lap?

Bartc

You can DIY a pochade from any box that suits you. Cigar boxes are an old traditional favorite and dirt cheap to work with.

My video here will show you how I did one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfFelGgvdk

Fancy easels are fun but if you really want to go light or cheap all you need is a folding stool or old chair and a drawing board. The latter can be almost any thing you can tape a panel to… I like scrap plexiglass plastic sheets; the plastic used on storm doors. Perhaps an apron, some bug repellant, an umbrella, the latter for shade.

Comments? Dave

Bartc

Fancy easels are fun but if you really want to go light or cheap all you need is a folding stool or old chair and a drawing board. The latter can be almost any thing you can tape a panel to… I like scrap plexiglass plastic sheets; the plastic used on storm doors. Perhaps an apron, some bug repellant, an umbrella, the latter for shade.

Comments? Dave

Actually, just that lap mentioned before, a sturdy enough surface to paint on, and something to lean against or sit on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.