Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Where can I buy discount plein air style frames?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    cjorgensen

Hi

I got my resale number, now I need some plein air style frames. I have looked on line, and I have researched the forums, but I just can’t find any. It seems like my idea of “discount” is still more expensive than I think I can sell my paintings for. Where do you guys get your frames? I don’t know if I am being unrealistic, or if I am just not finding the right places.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

S.McPherson

Hi, I frequent our local art schools that have framing capabilities and often find very nice used frames and frames that are made from “drops”…paying anywhere from $4.00 to $15.00. It is kind of hit or miss. Sandy

[font=Comic Sans MS]Sandy K.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for looking and C & C appreciated.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Look to the composition in nature! She is an infinite source of design. Like a perfect lover, she never disappoints, never grows ulgy, and never fails to reveal herself in facinating new ways. Just be faithful to her. Richard Schmid[/font]

cbcarnell

I buy my frames at Graphix http://www.pictureframes.com because they are cheaper than anything I can buy in a store around here. I try to take advantage of multiple purchase discounts, and any special sales they have.
                Just wish they would offer free shipping on large orders.

Claire's Website and Blog
                “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Dagmartist

I’ve found great deals on ASW Express and Dick Blick when they are onsale[/U][/I]. One really has to keep looking for sales to get good deals. I just bought some for 50% off at a local Micheals art and craft stores but they were only nice for panels. Be patient and you will find some great deals.

Dolores

coyote

I buy my frames at Graphix [url]www.pictureframes.com[/url] because they are cheaper than anything I can buy in a store around here. I try to take advantage of multiple purchase discounts, and any special sales they have.

I like them too. You can get 9×12’s and smaller for under $20. They’re nice frames and come with wire and hardware. And if you happen to have an odd size painting, they’ll custom make anything, for a little more.

Todd 'coyote' Cooper ---
                        I love the smell of turpentine in the morning. It smells like...art.
                        My Gallery

cjorgensen

So far, 50% of all reponses recommend pictureframes.com, so I will check that out. I will also keep a lookout for sales at the catalog stores and local art schools. Thanks a bunch!

I will check back in case there are more good leads. :)
                            I appreciate all your help. :)

nepainter03

for simple plein air frames jerrysartarama.com,dickblick.com, both have nice seamless corner plein air frames for a GREAT price and I think they also do quantity price breaks. Good luck, Dan

travellight27

Jerry’s Art-O-Rama, ASW and Dick Blick run regular sales. A 9×10 can be had under $20 if you watch their sales, then buy in quantity.

RADAR

Hobby Lobby carries frames marked 50% off almost very day

Gary

Gary

around here we don't look backwards for very long,we keep moving farward,opening up new doors and doing new things,because we're curious,and curiousity keeps leading us down new paths......keep moving forward. Walt Disney

Fenders

I prefer gold frames but generally a little thinner than the normal plein air styles. Generally I’m looking for 6×8 or 8×10…I have bought from pictureframes.com and
                                            http://www.floridaframes.com/ Both are resonable and frequently run special pricing. Good Luck!
                                            Florie

http://florieenders.blogspot.com/%5B/URL%5D

ArtSuperhero

The Plein Air style frames are better quality from Jerry’s Art-o-Rama than the ones from Dick Blick. I made that mistake after a large order. The Blick ones have little cracks in the joined edges and just don’t feel as solid. Both are around the same price.

Comments & critique always welcome.
                                                Thanks for looking,
                                                Randy :thumbsup:
                                                www.randysaffle.blogspot.com

Hi, what is a plein air style frame? How is this different from framing other canvases? Isn’t plein air just painting outdoors or is there special canvases I’m not aware of?

cjorgensen

Thanks everyone for all the pointers!

Hi Wonderlandali! As far as what a plein air frame looks like, this is my opinion:

When plein air was new and fashionable, I guess people were still framing things in gold. But the extremely ornate frames complete with the loose plain air style, so plein air frames are wooden with a gold finish, but with simple ornamentation. When I look at the frame websites, the do have “plein air” categories.

Look at this framed painting by WC’s Ron Guthrie. Doesn’t it look like a million bucks? The art is great, and the frame really sells it.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529083

It a gorgeous frame, but I can’t afford that one yet. I am thinking about maybe Jerrys-Art-O-Rama, but I got a resale number too. :)

Yokovich

Carolyn, when you are ready to move up to the better frame..I recommend this guy..I found him on eBay and he is fantastic. His frames are beautiful and well made and they are less than you would pay normally (I checked..he really is “wholesale”). I can vouch for him..he is first rate!
                                                        http://myworld.ebay.com/wholesaleframesource/%5B/URL%5D

Carolyn, I see what you mean! That gold color really sets off the tones of the foliage!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.