Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals A Beginner’s Journey in Urban Sketch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Pesto126

Hi All.. my first foray into “urban sketching”… more of a “learning how to draw/paint” journal.. hope you can critique and offer suggestions as I continue to learn and grow my skills. I feel I’ve already come a long way but am here to learn as well. Thanks!

It looks good to me, a great first PA sketch.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Minerva C

:thumbsup: Nice sketch!

C

"It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create."
            J.M.W. Turner

I am a beginner myself.

It looks pretty good for a first experience.:thumbsup:

Maria - Made in Portugal
            "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

Pesto126

thanks all – appreciate the feedback!

Pesto126

I like drawing homes/barns and city scenes from places I visit… this is one from last month of an old, stately home I saw while stopped at a red light. Snapped a quick photo and did the work later that day… still getting the hang of drawing in perspective and trying to get the watercolors to behave… ie: the sky is blotchy/ trying to get better with shadows / being more dynamic with color)

Good sketch. You don’t have to reproduce the original sky, you can simply give your sketch a blue sky.

Doug

Joan T

Nice sketches!!! You are off to a good start.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Delofasht

Fantastic linework, very confident and direct. Very nice pieces so far, look forward to seeing more.

- Delo Delofasht
                            Pesto126

Thanks all… here is a new one that I made… even with my limited time and skills – I think I have found a style that works for me… constructive criticism and suggestions always welcome!

Trying to focus on shadows and color mixing a bit more on paper rather than just flat shades of color blending on the palette. Still need to get a bit more “free” with color and not be so “literal” I think..?

You are doing fine. One thing, there should be a ground shadow from the house.

Doug

Pesto126

Thx Doug – Good point…!

Joan T

You are handling the color nicely!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Pesto126

Another sketch done from a photo I took of a historic building… the left side of the building is a bit squashed again (my inability to draw accurately even with the help of a ruler for measuring and adjusting!)… but I like how it turned out… played with the wet-on-wet effect for the sky and tried to dump some “non-blue” color in for interest.. .might have gone a bit too far.. but at least it’s not boring blue.. Still need to dump in some green for the bushes on the far right and add some paint to the trees on the left… also wanted to dump in some varied grays for the cement pillar and darken the area under the house.. but its been too long since I shared a drawing.

Also – noticed there is a weird face hidden in there too… not done on purpose but I cannot view it without seeing it every time now! :thumbsup:

Comments, feedback and criticism welcome! Thx for viewing…

eyepaint

This piece in post 14 shows you are working hard. Well done!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.