Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Paperchase Tan Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Sonia

Having finished the Grey Book, I thought I would try out a tan-toned paper. This one is from Paperchase, approx 7″ x 9″ (advertised as an “Oversized A5 Kraft Journal”). For the first few pages I did some colour charts of various materials – watercolour pencils, water soluble wax crayons, Inktense pencils, etc., plus some random test sketches. An ordinary graphite pencil just doesn’t show up very well.

I am not sure I like it as much as the Grey Book, but I probably need to be much bolder with my colours and tones.

Delofasht

I like the way the paper is taking the color for you, looks quite vibrant. How does it do with any kind of light application of water (for dissolving some of the water soluble media for use as an underpainting)?

- Delo Delofasht
            Helen

I like how the color pops.

"I get up, I walk, I fall down, meanwhile I keep on dancing." Hillel

Sonia

Thanks Delo and Helen.

I did use a light application of water on parts of the floral sketches and the paper did wrinkle a bit, but seems to have evened out somewhat after drying.

I wouldn’t like to attempt very watery washes on this paper.

Pen, watercolour and Neopastels

Delofasht

Ah yes, I can see those water effects now, good to know it can take very light applications of water. Inktense pencils are one of my favorite Derwent products, possibly my absolute favorite, they feel great on the paper and produce extremely vibrant color when wet. Working dry on top of those vibrant dried washes feels great as well. I wish I had not lost my tin of them years ago in a move, 2 colors I have survived because they were in my sketching bag at the time though, and I frequently use them to do drawings with or without added water.

- Delo Delofasht

Very nice florals and buildings rendered in your new book.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Sonia

Delo, I think I need to be quite “heavy-handed” to get images to stand out on this paper (not my usual way of working!).

Thanks Kay.

This was done with watercolour pencils, highlights in white coloured pencil and needed several layers to show up effectively.

Delofasht

Hmm.. does the surface not readily grab color then? Or is it perhaps the brand of dry colored media?

Either way, it is interesting seeing your work on the surface and I am learning much from it. Do you have any acrylic ink pens/markers you could try on the surface? Might be a good way to block in initial color since most media will stick to it, though it may have some issues with buckling the surface if used for large areas (like any liquid media). Just a thought. :)

- Delo Delofasht
                                eyepaint

Such great work. I like the marks with the white bg in post 1.

-- EP Moderator for:
                                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Sonia

Eyepaint, thanks for looking.

Delo, I am attaching some scans of my test pages.

The fluid acrylics show up well, although I have had those quite some time and they seem to have thickened up a bit. The High Flow acrylics less vibrant – in fact the Titan Buff is almost invisible!

Sonia

Eyepaint, thanks for looking.

Delo, I am attaching some scans of my test pages.

The fluid acrylics show up well, although I have had those quite some time and they seem to have thickened up a bit. The High Flow acrylics less vibrant – in fact the Titan Buff is almost invisible!

eyepaint

Love all those colour swatches. Looks like the ivory posca pen is the winner to me :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Sonia

Thanks eyepaint.

Still struggling with this tan paper.

Pen, watercolour, oil pastel, Inktense pencils, acrylic and watercolour markers.

A sketch outing to a famous stretch of canal at Devizes in Wiltshire (more details on my blog).

Joan T

I like how these sketches look on the tan paper, especially that one portrait that looks like it should have a sepia look to it anyway. Love that one!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Sonia

Thanks Joan. Yes, I liked the way the “sepia” portrait turned out – the reference photo was of a suffragette, so quite appropriate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.