WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States
* Round the Campfire - August*

We are off to Estes Park to drop kids off at camp today.

Howdy to everyone, hope your weekend is going good.

Coffee is hot and ready:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=1280678 588
Attached Images

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog

Last edited by Rose Queen : 08-12-2010 at 07:23 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: * Round the Campfire - August*

Oh, boy ... does that photo ever bring back memories.

There was one of those blue granite coffee pots that sat at the back of my grandmother's coal stoves all the time (though I think the top was white, for some reason). And then for years we had one in the "camp outfit" that went with us whenever we went fishing.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

G'day all

Phew..... a mammouth session stirring up the embers of the July campfire, and I'm never going to remember everyone's news...
but I've really enjoyed all the stories.... animals of all kinds seem to be in the spotlight.
Fantastic photos last month everyone, even though I can't actually see any of them I'm certain they're all winners!
Looking forward to when the photos come back on line..... thought it was my computer for a minute there.

Though the photos I did see last week when I dropped in for a flying visit....
Gorgeous pup Jenna! Murphy is a great name and she is beautiful, I really like brindles too... sounds like you're in love already!
Dogs can bring such joy and fun.....

Though not that dog Deb, ......ya gotta stick with the Aussies, mate!
There's something about gut instinct isn't there? Ignore at one's cost seems to be the lesson.
I'm sure you'll have the mare's "new attitude" re-aligned to something more acceptable very soon.

Sharon - over here just about all cattle are 'range' cattle, and Aussie heelers are always used,
no-one works cattle here without dogs, (and horses/motorbikes,utes, choppers and ultralights) and as I think Deb said, the dog is regarded as being as good as 3 men.

Lenore - you're right, I really do miss Jake alot, ever conscious that he's only going to be little and cute for such a short time!
You asked about where we live, and it's a beach-side suburb very close to one of the only flowing rivers in South Australia, about 10 minutes to farmland/vinyards/national parks; and about 40 min drive south of the city of Adelaide.....
but a 6 hour drive to our bush block in the Flinders.... how I wish those driving times were the other way around!

Top photo Ron! I wish I was sitting around the real thing just about now would be good.

We had an actual tornado here in South Australia this weekend, in fact there's been about three this winter.....
tornadoes are unknown here both since white settlement and before.
Made me think on how scary the tornado season must be where some of you folks are in the USA.... not sure if I could handle the mental strain every year!

Hope you all had a good weekend, and are enjoying summer
catch you soon
cheers

Last edited by Bumpa : 08-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

I figure I better get in on this early. The July campfire, late in the month, was a bit overwhelming for a rookie.

Ron, What is the name of the camp? When my mom was in college she counseled at a camp in Estes Park.

We are doing a staycation this week. Meaning, we stay at home and do some day trips and vacation activities from home. We will probably take in a Detroit Tigers ball game and visit the lake Michigan at least once.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Hi all, I guess it's a new month already. . . . I'm with Jill: The photos from the last week or so must be good, but I can't see them.

I enjoyed all of the stories nonetheless--and remembered while out running this morning that a couple of you had observed many more butterflies this year than usual. The same is true here. My young Cassidy for a few days was looking at them with distrust as though they're horseflies, but I think she's figured it out by now that they're harmless. I'd rather suffer a hundred mosquitoes (been doing that with all the rain anyway!!) than a couple of horsefly bites. They're the worst, and the horses will eye them and run away to avoid one landing on them.

A few evenings ago I took an unusual route on our ride, down to a closed bridge on a dead-end road, following the deer moving to their evening grazing, and when I turned around and left, someone started shooting a gun at the farm buried in the dense trees right behind me. I thought he was shooting at me at first, as a warning to stay off that dead-end road, but I suspect he was warding off all of the deer that were probably moving in to ravage his garden. Just a theory--I didn't see a garden, or the person, for that matter. We do have some odd recluses around here. Cassidy did not mind the gunshot at all, but I sure did!

Last Saturday my family drove 5 of my dad's antique John Deeres in my hometown parade, and I took some photos to post, but I'll just wait until the platform is fully functional again. It was hot, muggy, and calm--but at least not rainy!! The city south of us had some major flash flooding--washed out streets, failed water treatment plant, collapsed basements, and of course lots of flooded basements which are the norm because we're just not set at all for all of this precip. . . just crazy. More rain to come. It's a boon for me and my little acreage, but not for many others. Lots of farmland is ruined for the summer. A local rodeo was canceled because the grounds are flooded.

Ron--The kids are lucky going to that camp! We've visited that park and of course it's wondrously beautiful.

Hiya Jim, and welcome! Enjoy your staycation! It can be lots of fun--that's basically what we do all summer, just camping locally with family and stuff like that. My "staycation" is just shutting down the laptop for a few days every once in awhile since I work online during the summer.

Jill--Your place sounds great! What is a "bush block"?

Deb--We'll be looking forward to some photos of your horses in training when you have time. I hope the bruises have healed and the little bay is behaving better. Do you raise and train to sell, or do you usually train others' horses?

Lenore I hope you're still enjoying the rain. Same to Jenna. . . . You must be getting it too since our storms have been building across MN instead of fizzling out after they soak us. What part of Wisconsin do you live in?

The photos for the monthly challenge are great!! I guess I could see those at least. . . . I really like the first one with the little boy and will maybe do that one for that late gift I need to do for my farrier. Sometime. . . . I'd just much rather be outside during the summer.

Well I'm off to do some errands and have a dinner with a friend of mine at our local sushi place--Sushi Masa. Imagine that--as landlocked as we are--but it's great, and basically the only restaurant that I love out of hundreds in Sioux Falls. When we get to San Diego I'll be spending a good portion of my vacation money on seafood, that's for sure.

Have a great week, all!

Last edited by Lisa M : 08-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Jim- glad you decided to join in the conversation... more the merrier. Soemtimes is just too hard to respond to everyone, all the time, but people understand, ecspecially if youve been away from the conversation for awhile. We've done the staycation thing this summer as well. But there is plenty to see and do within a two hour drive from here in Cheyenne. I still have to take the kids camping sometime before school starts again. My kids have been asking to go to a Colorado Rockies game... maybe next year

Lisa- dang you guys are getting LOTS of rain! I have had people shooting while riding as well. I was in national forest checking cows and I know the people shooting had no idea we were nearby. I know how you felt, not knowing, just hope and pray they are safe shooters I suppose.

Jill- hi, sounds like it your turn for crazy tornado weather! Hope they stay clear from yours and others houses. Darn kids grow up sooooo fast!!!

As for camp.... the kids are at the YMCA camp of the rockies. Big place. There looks to be a ton of kids from all over the country there as well, staying at different areas of the camp. All the counselers and small group leaders are from our church (for our specific group of kids). Im guessing our church rented the rooms and various activities from the YMCA, but I dont know for sure. Its only for a few days and only for kids from 3-6 grade. The wife and I are jealous.... we want to attend camp too!!... hope the kids realize how lucky they are!

I read somewhere today on wet canvas, that they are still working on uploader and photo issues..... hopefully it will be fixed soon. You can upload photos using "manage attachments" at the bottom of go advanced or the paper clip symbol which is above and to the left of the insert image icon.

My art blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

G'day all

Well today's winter weather is just plain dull....... but a great day to sit round the ol' campfire.
One of the nice things about winter here is that you actually get clouds
(sometimes, just sometimes they even leak!)
And when there's clouds there's glorious sunsets, especially as the sun goes down over the ocean, not 5 minutes away.
Naturally, whenever I'm out and about at sundown (which is a rare event in itself), but when I am out and there's a glorious sunset over the sea I never have me bloomin' camera with me......
....but believe me we've had some beauties lately.

Jim - I know what you mean about the campfire, it was raging in July....
.... Well it rages every month which is flamin' marvellous, so jump in when you're able!
(Incidentally over here in Oz 'raging' also means having a good time - which seems appropriate)

Ron - that camp sounds like alot of fun for the kids, I'd be jealous too.
In fact Jake is going on a mini-3 day camp with school in a couple of weeks.
They're going up the River Murray which is the largest river in Oz, and I haven't been upriver in donkey's years and am already wishing we were going too.
Just so you know...... it's 'shepherds pie' tonight - left-over roast lamb minced with gravy and baked with a mashed potato crust....mmmmm.
Leftover lamb roast almost never happens in this house, and it becomes "cottage pie" if you use beef mince....... my Mum was always very strict on that point, bless her.

Lisa - - yep.... unidentifiable gun shots would spook me a wee bit too! You've obviously got a very well trained horse there.
I love horse stories, I kinda ride vicariously through the folks in the 'southwest'!

You asked me what a 'bush block' is, well over here in Oz 'the bush' is basically the wild parts of the countryside...... otherwise known as 'the Outback',
and 'block' refers to a block of land, and in our case it's in the bush.

Well I shall say cheerio for today, hope you all have a good one.

Last edited by Bumpa : 08-03-2010 at 12:37 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
Northern Colorado (almost Wyoming!)

Hails from United States

Morning all! Wow, it's already August!

Hi there Jim glad you've decided to gather 'round the campfire with us.

Lots of rain, everywhere, it seems. Sounds like you could use a break from it all, Lisa. We've had some rain here almost everyday, too, but it's just keeping things fresh, clean, and green.......and me wet when I ride!!! It's nice to have one summer here without worrying about fires, though.....although other parts of Colorado have not been as fortunate.

I'm glad the shooting incident turned out ok. That actually happens quite frequently out here with me, too. I don't worry about it too much until hunting season, 'cuz usually it's just folks target shooting. But during hunting season I tie plenty of orange on my horse and try to stay in the open. And, unfortunately, we do have a few local crazies that I give a wide berth to. It seems that in remote areas there are always a few of those. I sometimes carry a handgun when I go way back into the wilderness, but I've been fortunate to never have had a need to use it....it's just for protection, and I've found that it "freaks out" backpackers a bit when they see it, which I think is kinda goofy.

Lisa, I don't normally train others' horses, although I have had my arm twisted a few times and taken a few. I usually either raise and train my own, or pick up young horses at auction to train and sell. I'm not doing much of that anymore, though, because the market for even well trained horses out here is just terrible. Currently I have three young ones that I raised that I'm working with this summer.

You guys are making me want to either go on a staycation (love that term!) or to camp!!!! We are taking a trip to the Big Horns later this month, and I'm really looking forward to that.

I guess the weekend at Cheyenne Frontier Days was like a mini staycation. Josh Turner and Alan Jackson concert was terrific! And the rodeo finals the next day was awesome....some of the best competition I've seen in rodeo. Those cowboys were cookin'! Was thrilled to see a rookie kid from my home state of Nebraska win the bareback bronc competition, and was it ever a close one! Those guys always amaze me....how they stay on the backs of those horses looking like a rag doll flopping around on their back is beyond me. Incredible athletes for sure. The bull riders were pretty good, too.

For those who would like their "Daddy of 'em all" rodeo fix, here's a youtube video of the Chuckwagon & Wild Horse Race. This was filmed some time ago (as you can tell by the clothing), but I like it, 'cuz my nephew (Corky's son, Jeff.....this would be for Ron who knows the family) is the first guy in the red shirt to be drug around by the horse. This was quite some time ago....his wife made him give the sport up shortly after, I believe!!! I know some folks don't like the wild horse race, but it is my favorite, and this year's was no exception! Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25qEUcrTI9I
My website & My Art Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Staycation: My daughter coined that phrase. One of the problems we have is that our kids are involved in so many things that it is hard to get away when they aren't doing something.

Lisa, my father in-law used to farm and still has some old tractors. I love tractors too. Looking forward to photos. The last rodeo we had at our local fair was in the mud. Not a good situation.

Deb, Cheyenne Frontier Days sound like a lot of fun. Being that I live in the burbs, it is hard to get my rodeo/horse fix. I started painting horses and cowboys after taking a painting workshop at a ranch in McCoy, CO some 8 years ago. The more I paint them the more I love it. I just like being around livestock.

On Camp: They are great for kids. I met my wife at a camp. My son went to Boy Scout camp and a Bible camp this year.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hey everybody! Happy August (already )! Sorry I've been absent for a few days; the WetCanvas updates have been a little frustrating, so I haven't spent much time on this site. I sure hope all these little glitches are fixed soon!

Robert, I saw your update in the July Campfire and it's outstanding! Looking really great!

Ron, thanks for starting the Campfire; great photo! It really sets the mood for the thread!

Hi, Jill, and thanks! She is a pretty girl and already knows her new name. Yikes, a tornado! Hope you all stayed safe.

BTW, sunsets are one of my favorite things to photograph. You make me want to see your sunsets; keep your camera handy!

Jim, I hope you're having a good "staycation"! The Great Lakes are quite a sight. I've been to Lake Michigan several times. I've seen all the Great Lakes, and my favorite is probably Superior. They are all beautiful though.

Hi Lisa, I've noticed more butterflies this year, too. I'm glad Cassidy has gotten used to them. It sounds like quite a scary experience with the gunshots on your ride! An experience you will probably remember vividly. We've had a lot of rain too; nothing so damaging as what you've gotten though. I live in west central Wisconsin fairly near to the MN border.

I hope it dries out for you soon.

Hi, Deb! Sounds like you've been having a busy, active, if not a little wet, summer! Glad you had fun at the concert and rodeo!

My headache is being pretty nasty with me tonight, so I'm going to wrap this up for now and get some sleep. Talk to you all later!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast
Northern Colorado (almost Wyoming!)

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I thought I'd try to post some photo's from our trip into the Rawahs today. We decided to forego the pack trip since the weather report for this week hasn't been good, and instead are doing a series of day trips. Today Josh & I went up the Rawah Trail, crossed over Grassy Pass, and back down on the West Branch Trail, almost 20 miles in all. I took the little bay mare; we had some "discussions" but she really did pretty good. Came home one tired little horse! Although it looks pretty nice in these pics, we ended up being rained on the last 3 hours on the West Branch, and dodged a pretty good thunder/lightning storm. Pretty common up there this time of year, but I still don't like it!

Rawah Lake #1

Foxy & I just above Rawah Lake 3

The wildflowers are blooming like crazy up there right now. Still loads of Indian paintbrush, daisies, columbine, etc. Color everywhere, and unfortunately, the camera just doesn't pick it all up.

Looking east, we could see the storm clouds backing up on us, so the picture taking ended and we scurried across Grassy Pass to get lower and back into the trees. It's a good thing, too, 'cuz KABOOM!!!the thunder and lightning up that high gets pretty scary. In this pic, the dip in the distant mountains is Sand Creek Pass. That's where I live.

Time to get supper on, get the dishes done, and hit the sack!!!!
My website & My Art Blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Picked up kids from camp today. They are totally tired and wore out. They had a great time.

Jill- I bet Jakes going to love the camp hes going to! Great experiences for them. I love shepards pie. My wife makes the same thing except we use beef or elk meat.... yum

Deb- that utube video of Frontier days cracked me up! Clothing was hilarious. When was that made? Did they do chuckwagon races before the concert anymore? I cant remember if they still do those or if they quit. Chuckwagon races were one of my favorite events.

Jim (jim56)- camp has been a big part of your family lives! That is neat to hear. I believe in doing lots of things with my kids and having them involved in church and other activites. Keeps them (and me probably more!) out of trouble LOL

Jenna- good to see ya back, sorry about your headaches, my wife has them also.....hope they go away quick for ya

Robert- have been meaning to tell ya that your piece is coming along REALLY nice!!

I really hope we all get our pictures back that were in the past campfire threads!!!

My art blog

Last edited by rugman : 08-04-2010 at 10:32 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

Deb, I am green with envy! We no longer have horses and all the years we did we lived in less-than-scenic surroundings. On a drive up the canyon just the other day I told Bill how I would have given a lot to have such beautiful surroundings to explore then!

These are just gorgeous photos. Thanks for posting!

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

My kind of country ... and one of the reasons I rarely ride here in Kentucky. This is the kind of country for riding ...

Thanks for posting the photos.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Say, Sharon - whatever happened to your milkcan work-to-be seen in your blog?