Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Wasatch Hollow – again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

I have done at least 5 plein air versions on this area and a couple at home. Why not another? This was started with a fairly extensive acrylic underpainting. It is time to set it out to dry. I will revisit and make adjustments if needed. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome. Gary

8×10 oils over acrylics
    [ATTACH]861157[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

bkrast

Love it, Gary! Love the colors, and contrast between light and shadows! :thumbsup:

[FONT=Georgia]Ben

If a painting goes terribly awry, just call it a "study" and don't sweat it.

Ohiohawk97

Love the shadows coming off the trees and the fence really draws the eye.

Wes

Old Radagast

That low-angle sun contrast between the sunlight grass and the tree shadows really makes it sing! Pretty fall colors, too.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

Some scenes keep drawing us back, and I can see why this one appeals to you. I like the way that warm shadow brings us into the scene.

Wendy C&C always welcome
                Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Aussiesrus

The greens are well controlled & I love the variation in tree shadow values with touches of broken color & hints of reflected light – Nicely Painted Gary !

Michael

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                    https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                    I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Bizzibee

I can see the attraction the area has to you. I love the dappled path.The light and shadows give the impression of a crisp cool day and the muted tones harmonise so well!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Skyenorth

Lovely painting where the light and shade is the main focus. The finish with the oil paints results in a soft painterly feel.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                            http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                            Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                            Winston Churchill.

Anonymous

Beautiful painting Gary, I was wondering what this would look like if the fence was removed. Just an idea. Again, I really enjoy your work.

Donna T

Your underpainting must have served you well because this is so beautiful, Gary! It’s nice that you can do several versions of this scene and explore something different each time.

Donna
                                    C&C Always Welcome

CaliAnn

Such a beautiful warm scene – Those colors are so rich. One of your best!

Thanks Ben.

Thanks Wes. I wonder if it does not draw the eye too much. It has been in other paintings of this site but seems to fit in better.

Thanks Matthew.

Thanks Wendy. The area is now a designated nature park but I liked the trees on the hill even when it was just a neighborhood short cut.

Thanks Michael. It was fun to establish the light pattern in acrylics and then use a little thick paint to create texture.

Thanks Bizzibee.

Thanks Caroline. I like acrylics and oils. Oils are easier to get a softer, looser feel.

Thanks Hans. As I mentioned above in response to Wes. I am wondering about the fence. It fit in better when it was part of a shadow pattern.

Thanks Donna. Different versions have been from different points of view, using varied styles and materials. It is like moving objects about to paint a still life.

Thanks Ann. Fall is warm colors in cooling time of year. Maybe the foliage is trying to hold onto summer.

Thanks again. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dcam

Terrific shadows and light Gary. I like the way the fence takes center stage. terrific. Good stuff my friend.

trailrider

Love the backlighting. It creates a sense of drama. I’m a fan of the fence because it defines the shape of the hill.

Lisa http://lisacouper.com
                                                The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. Joseph Campbell
                                                "If it were me......." My Husband

RandyP

Excellent work, Gary! You have an effective serpentine pathway that really guides the viewer. The colors are great, too!

Randy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.