Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Animal and Wildlife Project Discussions Seeking Advise for Animal’s Painting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am a self-professed newbie Pastel painter and thinking to draw and paint some animals. Would it be a source of income for me, or should I paint humans as I believe people seem to have less respect for those who draw or paint animals than those who draw or paint humans?

Browse gallery of Arts:
    http://www.pastelartprints.com
    Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pastelartprints/

Ellen E

Whether or not it would be a source of income is hard to answer. Where you live, whether you’re extremely good at painting animals, and what the tastes seem to be where you are.

I’d say to just set yourself up somewhere and paint in public—with your own pet or a friend’s pet. If passersby show interest, and if your location has a lot of people who are very devoted to their pets, as well as it being a location where the people going by would be of a social standing that’s upper class and not a poor area, you could see how this would go over as a market. Make or order some business cards and keep them handy.

Do you work with oil pastels or soft pastels?

I don’t know why you think people who paint animals are less respected. I don’t think that’s the case. Especially now, when the baby boomers are everywhere and most of them have pets. I just turned 73 and in my experience, it seems everyone has a pet or two that they’re very devoted to, so I’d think you might get some nibbles if you were to find a way to come in contact with the elderly.

Use Her Name

I am a self-professed newbie Pastel painter and thinking to draw and paint some animals. Would it be a source of income for me, or should I paint humans as I believe people seem to have less respect for those who draw or paint animals than those who draw or paint humans?

I am not sure who these “people” are who have no respect for animal painters/artists. I think making up your own mind should be based on your love of the genre, not whether more money can be gotten from it. (Speech over). I personally think there is something deeply artistic/ spiritual about painting something that is vastly different from you, as a human. Studying and depicting animals is nearly a scientific challenge. I do not believe that people dislike animal art. I do think that some animals are symbolic and so they do sell a bit better than others. I think if you are just beginning, then try both, get good at it, and then show them around– also see what you like better. I am very good at depicting human figures, but animals were always more of a challenge, so I went for that– with reasonable success. I always go by the adage, “do what you love, the money will follow.” If you become prolific, versatile, and excellent in what you do, you will sell. But remember, the first years of this journey will be filled with garbage and ruin, as far as art is concerned. Give yourself 5 years and see the difference.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.