Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Zorn palette

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Linogryzka

Hi, I would like to ask you aboout the Zorn palette.
        I want to paint alla prima on a toned canvas. I use schmincke mussini paints.
        I have bought the following colors, but I am not sure if they will work since two of them are not opaque:
        Titanium opaque white (PW6, PW4)
        Transparent Yellow Oxide (PY42)
        Brilliant Scarlet (PR242) (semi-transparent)
        Mineral Black (PBk28)

What do you think abut this selection? Would it be easier to work with opaque paint?

Delofasht

Given that a Zorn palette is usually used in a very direct manner, the opacity of the paint is important since the paints are meant to be applied direct and all are intended to be able to bring the black up in value slightly. As such, a Yellow Ochre is preferred because it is opaque, and the best red in the range that is inexpensive is probably Bright Red by Winsor and Newton (though I use a Coral Red from M Graham for that color since I got it for free with a purchase years ago).

- Delo Delofasht
            Linogryzka

Hi,thanks for replay. I will try with yellow ochre and cad red light

AllisonR

Zorn is black, white, yellow ochre and vermillion.
                    I do not think all four paints being opaque is necessary.
                    I use Ivory black, Lead (much warmer and more transparent than titanium, though that can be used as well), yellow ochre light and vermillion. I think the exact red is the most important part of this recipe.

I have tried this same zorn palette with switching out the vermillion with a scarlet red and it does not work at all. The scarlet has just a touch more orange in it than vermillion and it makes sick orange flesh. I have also tried the zorn palette by switching out vermillion with a rose madder and that is way too pink. So getting the slightly warm, not too pink, and not too orange, red will take you a long way. FWIW I am using OH and Rembrandt brands.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                    Ted B.

The Zorn Palette is an important fundemental palette, but there’s an technical consideration if you find yourself struggling to make it work for you. The Ivory Black in Zorn’s time had a bluer undertone than many of the modern “blacks” today made with synthetic pigments. And Zorn used Lead White which behaves differently that Titanium in tinting strength, warmth, hue shifts and translucency.

Many artist use the Zorn Palette using modern paints successfully, but depending on your ubject matter and your personal technique if your struggling consider at-least trying Lead White or a Lead Replacement. As a watercolorist, we generally don’t think of “whites” …but in oils the handling properties of Titanium versus Lead White iare striking. Not that one is better than the other, …just different.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.