Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Summer Slouch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wellavina

Hi, I’m new here. I also have a long standing practice of not showing my work (Lol, over ten years of writing novels that I never send out). But images are such a shareable medium that I’m attempting to overcome this. This is my first oil painting in ten years, out of three total. Hopefully, I will soon have more but, I wanted to do one with whatever I had in me innately so I could have a “before” picture to look back on in a year or two of focused learning. Personally, I can see a lot I need to work on. But hey, it’s a beginning, right? Constructive criticism and other sage advice warmly welcomed.
        (The Summer Slouch, Oil on canvas board 12″ x 16″)

jknecht

If this is your “before”, I can’t wait to see the “after”! Really outstanding work for a first piece. The only main I could offer is that the person seems to be floating – perhaps a shadow would help attach her to the dock.

Wellavina

Thanks so much for replying, and I’m glad to hear you liked it. Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to think. I’m keeping a notebook to record my thoughts on the work as I go and will note the floating aspect, because I believe you are right. I’d thought a little about adding one but wasn’t sure since I was working off a quick doodle before we got rained out and for the life of me I couldn’t remember if there would have been a shadow on an overcast day.

ntl

You have shadow under her forearm/hand and under her leg. Some also on the front side of the upper arm. A bit of shadow on the dock under the shorts would be appropriate.
                    Well done!

bhindi

It’s a nice theme and the slouch is familiar one. Great job for a 3rd painting. You’ve got the folds on her shirt and shorts right.. one thing I’d look to add are small highlights to make her folds pop out more.

I also have a long standing practice of not showing my work (Lol, over ten years of writing novels that I never send out). But images are such a shareable medium that I’m attempting to overcome this. This is my first oil painting in ten years, out of three total.

You’ve come to the right place. Hope you post more here.

Jon

It can be a little intimidating to share our first works so good for you!
                            Anyone who writes or sketches recognizes the pose. :)
                            Take some time and review some postings in the Figure Forum to help with the ever tricky body positions.
                            I like the choice of your figure being on a dock dangling feet in the water as it adds to the entire dream quality of the moment of creating.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.