Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Help with sketches and preservation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kyronLB

Hello everybody,

So, I have been collecting a lot of sketchbooks in the last years, and I finally got up to them and cut all the drawings that I want to keep.

Now I have a lot of drawings in pieces of paper (sorry if I’m being misunderstood, it’s because I’m brazilian and I don’t have a good english proficiency ).

My question is: What can I do to preserve these drawings? Should I glue them all to A3 size sheets of paper with elmer’s glue or schools’s white glue? Or should I just put them in plastic sheets? I cut them all because I needed space and now I just don’t know what to do with them.

Thanks for your time, cheers!

I would not glue them to anything else but just store them in plastic sleeves. The plastic is also important – only use polyester, polypropylene or polyethylene as other plastics (like vinyl) can damage things as they break down. Also, don’t put other papers in with the drawings unless you are sure they are archival. They can discolor the drawings if not.

Phil

It’s good question, and one I have struggled with in the past. Years ago (40 years ago) I put all my drawings into a large binder inside plastic folders which were supposed to be purpose made for this. Depending on the materials used and paper (I mostly used color pencils on thick cartridge paper) over the years there was some transferrence of the pencil onto the inside of the plastic, so I no longer use that method. I currently keep my drawing in a large A3 box with paper sheets separating each drawing. I probably would not glue the sheets either as this may cause issues down the line, I also sellotaped some of those old drawings (on the back)and the tape really deteriorated over the years and ended up imprinting through to effect the actual drawing. Therefore try and not use any tape or glue but keep the drawings loose (not behind any plastic folders) and perhaps find a good paper that you can keep in between the drawings to keep them from damage, tracing paper is my recommndation.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/10-Oct-2007/118358-sig-PDGARTbanner.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.